Posts by Gearhead10

It is obvious that several of you know a heck of a lot more about this than I do but I do have to agree with SA_ORION. Several decades ago my father ran an Auto parts store, part of a chain of 6 stores, in Indianapolis, IN. His store was only a couple miles from Gasoline Alley. The had a customer come in who had developed a carburetor for the then early V-8s that had less than 20 moving parts (New carbs have in the neighborhood of 150 to 200 moving parts in them depending on size). It allowed the engines to get 35-40 miles a gallon. This was in the mid-late forties. Dad said they were selling 2 – 3 a month at most of the stores until about 8 months after they started to carry them. They always had 5-6 in stock in each store. One day each store had two men come in at almost the same time and purchased all they had in stock. Dad found out from the chain owner the next day that all of this type of carb had been bought and these folks then contacted the creator and manufacture and bought all he had ready for shipment, all parts and the blueprints for the carbs. Since he had registered it and copyright protected the plans the buyer (later found out to be Mobile Oil) was unable to reproduce as they had not bought the rights. But what they did was lock everything away in
    a warehouse in the industry section of Indianapolis, where they were still sitting as of 1993 which was the last time my dad heard from his old boss who had been keeping track of them.

So, there have been ideas, even products produced that would have been a great benefit to humankind that have been squashed because of greed on the part of a few. Another idea that has been written up several times that I have seen in the past is using Satellites in geostationary orbit to collect solar energy and then beam it to the surface via laser to receivers that would covert that to electrical energy and introduce it into the grids on a worldwide basis making electrical power almost free. That too was stopped as being “too expensive and complicated to pursue”. Yeah, right. For whom? Now however solar panels have gotten considerably smaller in the last 5 years so that a 5Kw system that would have taken up most of the roof space on a 2600 Sq. Ft home
    now only takes up about 500 sq. ft. Additionally the cost has come down with it as well. Five years ago that same 5Kw system would have cost $50K, now about $20K. With a projected 5 years to pay off by not using commercial power from the Utility companies and selling them your excess. Here several states have requirements on the books that require the Utility companies to buy your excess energy you aren’t using. So, maybe just putting up your own solar system is the way to go.

In any case, I believe Tesla had the right Idea. One of the cable channels here recently had an hour long program about him, his ideas, and the tower and power generation building he had started to build until he couldn't get the funds to complete it and test it's full capability. Another thing to think about, take a look at the Tesla auto and what it is capable of and compare that against what the big automotive manufactures are trying to sell us and those cars limitations. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they are purposely limiting what they are building to increase price and forestall the development of vehicles that won't use or need fossil fuels.

Thank you! I do like it and it most likely will be the last PC I get. I agree, the PSU is the most important part, without a good one everything else runs like crap no matter how much you paid for it!

To continue this happy madness:

Cooler Master Elite 335 Chassis
    - Black w/ Blue LED fans
    - ATX Mid Tower (19.13" x 7.28" x 16.26")
    - Front Panel connectors: 2x USB, Stereo Headphone/Speakers, Microphone
    - 4x 5.25" Bays (External)
    - 1x 3.25" Bays (External)
    - 6x 3.25" Bays (Internal)

ASUS p7H57D-V EVO H57 Motherboard
    - Intel H57 Northbridge
    - 4x DDR3 Slots (16GB Max, 2133MHz Max)
    - 2x PCI-Express 2.0 x16
    - 1x PCI-Express 2.0 x1
    - 2x PCI-Express 1.0 x1
    - 2x PCI
    - 1x ATA133 IDE
    - 6x SATA II (3Gb/s)
    - 2x SATA III (6Gb/s)
    - RAID 0/1/5/10 Support
    - Realtek ALC889 10 Channel Audio (every output you could want + 3)
    - Gigabit Ethernet
    - 4x USB 2.0 Ports
    - 2x USB 3.0 Ports
    - 4x Internal USB Headers (8 additional USB ports supported)
    - 14 Total USB Ports

Intel Core i7-860 Quad Core CPU
    - Quad-Core + HyperThreading (8 logical processors)
    - 2.8GHz
    - 8MB L3
    - ThermalRight Ultra Extreme 120 CPU cooler ( CPU idles at ~90F with one)
    -
    Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB DDR3)
    - DDR3 1600MHz
    - 8-8-8-24 Timings
    - Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile)
    - Heatspreader
    - 1.65V

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    - 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 3600MHz (Effective)
    - 336 Cores @ 675MHz
    - DirectX 11
    - 2x DVI
    - 1x HDMI
    - 1x DisplayPort

Seasonic X650 650W PSU
    - 650W
    - 80 Plus Gold Certified (87%+ Efficient)
    - Independently verified (jonnyguru.com) as 90% efficient at 653W @ 122F, under 20mV ripple/noise suppression
    - Probaby the best 650W PSU in the world right now
    - Fully Modular Cableing

Western Digital Caviar Black HDD
    - 640GB
    - 7200 RPM
    - 64MB Cache
    - SATA III (6.0Gb/s)
    - Dual Processor

LITE-ON DVD/CD Burner OEM
    - Write: 24X DVD, 48X CD-R, 8X DVD-DL
    - Read: 16X DVD, 48X CD
    - SATA Interface

running Windows 7 and FireFox

Well, then I must be a minority of few because I read the "readme" docs, forums, and anything else I can to help me understand and play any game. Oh, wait, I do the same thing with any application I run. Hmm, must be the old technical control supervisor in me. :D MERRY Christmas All!!

Well, I am trying to do it in SP and its the Yaadrasil that I want to check out since the data I have found says it is there as well. I spent another couple of sessions (sessions = multiple attempts) getting splattered all over Styx space :bdamn: !

So this is me asking if anyone does know what the trick is if they would PM me if they would be so moved :bglad: !

Thanks much. Back to Lexicon.

:bhuhwhere: Well, that hasn't work and the nomies are kickin the c--- out of me! I've mucked about at the bottom of the shield generator to no avail and at the bottom of the main section. I even managed to silence the outer weapon stations not that helped any :bmad: . System indicates dockable but not happening. Haven't been able to penetrate the shield and that has to happen first. I'm using Coal Gatling x2, Ancient energy Cannon, 2 Ther'Hon Cannons, Sunslayer Torp, Kraken, Wyrm and Salamanca Turret's. I have two more of the Ther'Hon's, plus two of the Dom emitters. Not sure if changing up the combo is the the trick or not. Hmmm.

OK, I;m confused ?( or maybe I'm not and someone else is :S . I have seen threads in different forums that indicate that both the Yaadrasil and the Ragnarok are available at the Nomad City in Styx. Are they or is only one of them. And is the Nomad city being referred to the Nomad outpost just inside the Dimensional warp or elsewhere? I get indications that I can dock with the Nomad Outpost but haven't had any luck yet. Starting to wonder if I just need to blast the Shield Generators or .... Anyway if someone could clear that up I would appreciate. Oh, this is for SP only. Thanks.

Happy Birthday SWAT Portal! I first started on Lancer's Reactor when I started playing Freelancer. After an absence of a couple years I came back and found SWAT Portal and have been here ever since. Hoping my contributions will help make this the definitive Crossfire site. Congrats on Nine years!

Hey all - I've been working on various parts of the Lexicon Wiki and I know that somewhere on this forum I have seen two pictures of the Battleship - Reliant class. One is kind of dark and I found it. The other one is clearer and I believe shows the Reliant launching from one of the Crossfire Docks. This is the one for the life of me I can't find. I wanted it to add to the article on the Reliant in Lexicon. If anyone knows where it is can you please direct me to it. Thanks much.

So do you already know where all these types of detail corrections are? I also wanted to add that I'm pretty good at proof reading and editing. I noticed that a lot of the CF printed verbage in the dialog boxes and equipment details have mis-spellings or words left out. If there is any way I can help I would be glad to. If someone can explain what is being done in Lexicon I can work on that. Is that the place to make corrections?

This may have been addressed before but I didn't find it. I have noticed that some of the bartenders seem to be confused as to where they are. e.g. the one at the Dervon (s/p?) observatory provided information that applies to a station that is btwn Sigma 13 and 19. I have also noticed this sort of thing at other locations as well. Maybe something to go back and clean up in 2.0. I have just started to keep a list of these kinds of detail things if anyone is interested. I have been playing FL for a few years before joining the SWAT PORTAL. I fell in love with CF1.7 and waited with baited breath for 1.8 to come out only to find out that my laptop wouldn't run it, (video card limitations, etc). As things would happen, the desktop we had at the time died a terrible death :bomb: ! So that required the procuring of a new one, this time loaded for bear and almost no limitations! :D I retired and found after being away from there that CF 1.9 had come out. Needless to say I jumped all over that and have been having a blast since playing SP. I like exploring the game, searching the systems for whatever there is to find and trying different ships, etc. I'm not that great of a pilot (slower reaction times, blah, blah, older guy, etc) so I fall back on being sneaky and devious! :bmuhahaha: . Anyway I noticed Op's request for help with things and not sure if this is what he meant or not. I finally found the Lexicon WIKI but wasn't sure what was going on there so don't know if I could help there or not. Since I'm on restricted activities due to knee surgery for another six weeks I have some spare time on my hands and could do something If I had a clear idea of what was up. I'm not a programer but I can cut and paste with the best of them. If there is any interest let me know. And thank for a great Mod as well, I have voted and look forward to 2.0 and the Alternate version.