Posts by Daverin

Well in which case, hull matters little because either you should only take shield scratches, or hold out for it to regenerate.

Basically hull damage, to me, implies a kind of failure at the actual techniques you use to survive and win a dogfight. At that point its a matter of it giving you as much emergency leeway to get back shield and reassert course as you can take, but in general if you are taking enough hull damage that it is "meaningful", then you already are too prone to getting hit for it to save you.

Again, just personal experience so far. Guess there is a reason ships like the Cayman are the big names in PvP. :P

Very true, Kermit. Right now, my favorite is the new Redemption, but my original love has been, and in some ways always will be, the Deathblade... probably has something to do with my first "endgame tier" VHF, combined with being from Oasis, which is where I always go to bring up a new character to the point they can make money. I love that secluded little system, with its brilliant green star and single outpost...

I WILL check out the Haidar again sometime, though. Sounds promising for any more enterprising traders.

Actually, speaking of good VHFs, was anyone... I don't know, almost disappointed? At the Royal and the CSF equivalent? I always remember seeing them and thinking they'd be awesome to pilot, but now that this is an actual possibility, I find they are just too damn big and slow, moreso than I thought they were based on interacting with them as enemy ships in 1.9...

EDIT:

.... and in general : hull strengh seems much more important in CF than in other mods (mainly to Big Daddys mod, one of my favoured - after CF - can't remember its balance in "vanilla" actual ).In fights, PvE as well as PvP, shields are most of the time down pretty fast, as "nice to have" in some situations and they can recover, but bringing them up again ist more "costly" as it seems than bringing up up shields again (in terms of bots and bats).

I actually have to disagree, here... my experience has been that you will only survive by evasive action or clever shield use, constantly letting it restore as needed, because I haven't found any hull that was really good enough to make up for the inevitable balance in less agility. It seems having the most repair units possible is best, followed by knowing how to avoid hits, especially to let a shield recharge to full to get maximum "effective hp".

Somehow your response seems like it has a vested interest... :P

In all seriousness, I'd be checking out that Haidar now, just because it at least will have good stats for a VHF, including VHF shields, while having a strong 330 cargo. No way in hell could it be agile because balance, but otherwise fills out that role better than other options...

Its true, though... don't expect to get a freighter as good at fighting as a VHF, because that'd be broken. Still though, finding a "reasonable middle ground" doesn't sound like the worst plan in the world. And frankly the Bullpup and I'd bet the APC are closer to that than one might think. Still have the hull to make up somewhat for lack of shields, after all. Plus allotment of repair units.

Also, how is the APC Freighter? Pictures on Lexi would suggest it is somewhat smaller profile to the Bullpup, which often can be good for agility.

And Ramses has a point, the Freighter does not get as good of shields, for example, as a VHF. So although the hull can be good, it is inherently more reliant on it. Good thing both APC and Bullpup have a generous repair unit allotment.

Give me a Warblade any day and ill be happy and rich from pods :)

I'm surprised you don't pick the Deathblade instead, then, since it has even more cargo space (the hull bonus seems... negligible when you consider how quickly good pod targets will eat through it.) Actually an awesome series of ships, though, and probably not getting as much love as they deserve, AND their design is awesome.

I wish I were a good pilot, because then I could totally go with the Bullpup Mk III, use its large amount of armament, AND enjoy a massive cargo load... even trade with it on the side! As is, though, I'd probably just get picked off...

I have a GT 610, which is... passable nowadays, but shouldn't have much issue with the shaders, least not SweetFX. I kinda am more suspicious of a combination of factors including being Windows 8.1.

As for pictures, I'll try to get around to it next time I log on. To describe, I have a 1600x900 monitor, and with no shaders the game will scale to the resolution. However with a shader on it resets to 800x600, which causes some wonkiness as it doesn't even try to keep it all on screen, so things like text are out of borders and the edge of screen goes past display.

So, branching off from my other thread about the redemption... the more I think about it, the more I am REALLY curious as to the role of gunboats. See, the thing is, they are rather clunky and lack some useful utility like repair units, but at the same time... they are the one "capital ship" style that is still small enough to more or less go where you need a ship to go, have great hull for that size point, and just seem to slightly scratch the "tanky ship" itch without the standard fare of problems from actual capital ships.

But... thing is, it seems like they are a little too maladjusted in regards to mobility, making them quite the sitting ducks (which is really bad when they lack repair units...) Except I read someone say they can strafe and burnturn as well as the Redemption, which makes me ask:

Am I missing something about the gunboats? Somehow I just can't shake the feeling that I am underestimating how to use them, and I feel like if I could figure that out, it'd be an awesome option to go flying with one of those.

I REALLY want to try one, since I remember it from my last playthrough, but my current rig acts funny and kills the resolution adjustment when I use a shader, which looks... not good. Any clues as to the issue?

Beta spoilers - never heard off it ;)

Doesn't help that your position and experience probably means you know some super secret mojo about where stuff is, you explorer you!

Btw, to anyone who could answer definitively, I remember in 1.9 one of the big... dividers? in battleship quality, or rather dreadnought quality, was that some, particularly the liberty dreadnought, had resistance to cruise disruption, and others didn't. Does anyone know if that has been amended? I'd prefer to ride a Celestis or Inquisitor (... or any super secret battleship that may exist :winki: ), but don't want to have gimped myself in any way just because of aesthetics.

Well, IIRC Gunboat has the same strafing and reverse speed that the Redemption has. I've been using it in Hudson recently and fought fighter-style, I've once pulled out a Sea of Shadows mission (though it was in 1.9 and I got lucky).

You sure? Huh... maybe its just a matter of the sheer size reducing the value of that. I used the Liberty one, so I don't know if that matters, although I think it has the leanest profile?

I def should check out that Order Destroyer, though. It seems promising. Plus Order anything is awesome.

maybe his "vision" for the game has become sooo ... great, that he needs even more developers, designers, pizza deliveries ... whatsoever to move on in the game development

Not counting the obvious profit angle... This is entirely possible, and indeed, I know here and elsewhere, the fear of "Feature Creep" is rampant. Lets face it, Chris seems to be going" OOH, MOOOOOAAAARRRR SHINIES!!!!#@$!" I hope he can even complete the BASIC game itself, let alone any additional dream ideas of his...

You sure, Silver? I've used it before, and I don't quite remember it being as good as it is... May be a matter of time passed.

Speaking of "tanky" ships, though... any new gunboats or cruisers? I remember seeing that some new dock in X has the Order Destroyer; any others? Or is it a spoiler? ;)

Of course, I suppose I should make sure I know how to USE a gunboat. I recall my last time I was a sitting duck to Nomads.

... as a "just becomming fan" of the new Redemption :
    I was surprised how "well" it faired against Ancient Drones, equipped with "just"
    Ancient Energy Cannon 's :vinsent::D

I am only equipped with my previous four CoalGats... I can't wait until I get two more and then really raise hell!

And about the battleships... what can I say, Martind? If OP and the team don't want me to want those ships, then maybe they should stop being so awesome and giving such great designs to them?

... On second thought, keep being awesome. Still worth it. :tongue:xmas

Just gotta say... new Redemption is awesome! I mean, previously it had the distinction of being the "tank" fighter, but now it also seems to have some good maneuverability as well! Especially with strafing and afterburn, it goes far quicker than I would expect looking at it.

Also found the Aeston Shipyard... its awesome to see the ASF fighters available. Although now I desperately want to find the ability to purchase the mighty ASF/CSF class battleships... :P:D

actually CR screwed it and MS stepped in to get the game finally done
    and for gods sake they have redesigned the gameplay

You know, OP, based on this and some other threads I have read where Chris got mentioned... I get the feeling you aren't the biggest fan of the guy. :P

You know, this is kind of amazing to read, simply because I can't imagine that OP can actually play anymore, as his time is consumed dealing with the server and punishing the angry monkeys that he uses for slave labor... At least I assume he has slave monkeys. Strikes me as the type of guy.