Problem running Crossfire MOD under Windows Vista

There are 51 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Spiky-.

• no - it's their (M$) job. Well, looks like I'll just have to wait and/or install XP...

<table border="0" align="center" width="75%" height="40px" cellspacing="0"><tr>
    <td align="left" background="http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9442/swatwj7.png" width="2px"></td>
    <td valign="top" align="center" width="100%" background="http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/401/swatya1.gif"><font face="serif" color="white" size="5">&#191;&#647;&#592;&#653;&#387;&#592;&#623; - magwat?</font></td>
    <td align="right" background="http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6025/swatright.png" width="2px"></td>
    </tr></table>
    <!--<hr width="85%" />

Fix'd.

-->

• at least that patch would be more stable

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    at least that patch would be more stable

loooool

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• Yes Hagar, if you would be so kind. Because you see it's not Freelancer that doesn't work under Vista. It's crossfire itself.

My friend, the same guy who can't run Crossfire on Vista, can still run Freelancer in normal mode. He can even run "The Next Generation" MOD. Both work in single and multiplayer.

It's Crossfire that doesn't work properly under Vista. And since Crossfire isn't an official Microsoft MOD, don't expect Microsoft to release a patch for it anytime soon. I mean really, why release a patch for a game/ MOD that doesn't even belong to you.

If it were up to Microsoft to release a patch, they would have probably done so already.

Starchild

• so we have 2 different problems mixed up here or all the same problem?

a) Starchild has an error with "missing" components and there i said to try with registering msinet.ocx

b) magnet14 cant access MP only, where singleplayer runs just fine

--> b) there is a prob with Vista and Freelancer as stated some posts earlier (other ppl complained about FL and Vista on LR, too. so if MP runs on ur friends machine u r lucky)

--> a) what is the error message after registering those components?

(\__/)

--
    --
    --
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• The error message is the same. It doesn't change. Even after registering the components. I registered both the MSINET.OCX in the Windows System directory, and the one in the Freelancer EXE directory.

I even downloaded the file and copied it to both directory's, and registered them again. The same error message pops up.

It says the component is either missing or not registered.

Damn Vista.

• starchild, please try download following (on ur own risk, since i don't have vista for testing this myself): MSInet

extract that cab file somewhere, then right click on "msinet.inf" and select "install"

(\__/)

--
    --
    --
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• does these worked? I bought a laptop yesterday and I haven't found XP driver's for the wireless card, these means I will have to keep Vista installed.

Haven't had the time to install CF yet, but I am afraid something like thse may happen. for now FL runs in SP.

eYf-Bb3kqDGZowNom6-Xa5yH0mydz8mBks6wgxw14TQ5NwEJBwfq4f1yRZFAlDX2qQ1-L2f4dN_jPCc4gHS39_4_KEcGf2rKKAIS9lt8znRUc0bbwU4HNGMbSmj-T1tQKW2T0FKHNMXYsHEHc4Qagn3xOVsBjwqOdFH4JyoGcTZdqMwXHFy76r9Fmny4UKT5zjWLQpDkuPo04jpg8sBGnCda4adtRxGHGbDw62IeEFT0WCu_go8lDBHh0WtGmPobfV87RVBaEqL3EGKAaPPRkjp-CR4J4phrjQzZQ2VUtg_-y5LTVcuqnCQugz3jfjP7xQqfvKNkjyMHKU9r4sV_D9IcYmVpYHXZ8ahWfGhesJkd0J8qCXtHRCwhnoMSF31z-piViN7S8MprdxmNA5irBMSB2cjAswp9SVe6wiATbaZEJG1bXg7_LbTVfiytOpYeKWjeQtra39Duhqgml8OV_4sQbY6hoi84NZ_mUayUfNOcCWuOlrLas3DPtvqq0cEfGOV-N6jSPssgvTCKTU4Y9OD8vIz14HCDKBAwi7NnvilwamcVEXqM3kH8YjIYyHtDaf7d8wY5caOUu4Y1AWfmJlZKMcVidj_K2RLYI_XQT8AQe3FnXn_-0fQfB2CPwbeJl_F7Nx-JLwk40KkWAON4x4TXBCq-rw9dmoLGDoS8ftamBKX9EZUxxbPSwuWzIU-ZviAWliUP_mLn8ILYZ-tt4SEnb5sUJkI0GWlLakmDHOwHtH3zAw8O0gt-wuCZCS5vGpuxt9tRDWS1_cIXvZML-ZRrZAHv0mig99hrUX4UMKGoM7FvaIiqnDDZPKMKJO8rA6jAx58nLCki-Xg8ci6ke5uspV7aCUQOmh6U3sZd5Z7acqvypYBAIo8lOMYpbCWRVqdyzaxTA_BdhKN_2OZ3aUK7qkATbEDHMxeu5d_NyqurxvYno5p-zBhnKVT6MNXRE2EpJq1cacTU9WuPNYWJSSF8kAw0_kS8QHURYgbHXpfRKENjBHUaV9h2jA=w348-h200-s-no?authuser=0

• Hi guys my two pennorth for what its worth

I wanted Vista so after reading around forums for quite a while I decided,what with some of the new games coming through that it was worth a go,however plenty of people were having a rough time with installing and getting up and running and were screaming allsorts of profanities.
    My solution was to take my Icybox storage drive,clear it out and install Vista on there. I had a few initial problems,1st install failed within 2 hrs 2nd lasted 5 days untill I hit a MS update problem,the updater needed updating to update the O/S,but wouldnt download the update.
    For some unknown reason I decided the drive was failing a scan showed some bad sectors so I replaced it with a new drive,got a bargain 320Gb sata11 seagate barracuda 50 quid,fresh install first operation immediatelyd update Vista, it is now working perfectly 14 days on.
    I now have dual drive different O/S on each one,F11 to choose bootup and I'm away.
    I know not everyone either has a spare drive or the dosh to purchase but it is one way of dealing with what will be a temporary problem all be it for a few years, until we all run Vista or its offspring.
    One thing I have noticed is several of my programmes are not 100% compatible with Vista and it asks if I'd like to run them in a suitable mode , shame it doesnt ask the same for Crossfire MP
    I was about to install Crossfire on here tonight if I can find my mods folder,I still have it on XP running fine,come to think of it I havn't run the game since I installed a new Gfx card either but after reading here I dont forsee any problems , I may try the MP setup and see what happens :]
    be seeing you

All those moments will be lost in time , like tears in rain . Time to die.

• Magnet - you're problem with CF, Vista and MP is due to incompatible Antivirus/Firewall. I recommend: AVG Free Antivirus and Zonealarm Firewall

w00t!!

I run XP and Vista and have no problems - although Vista likes to say i need more memory at 4GB ^^

• argos, what network chipset is it? i could help u on those... plz, contact me.

vista sux bigtime, everyone should use xp a few more years.

We sit together,
    The mountain and I,
    Until only the mountain remains.

- Li Po

Originally posted by goodone
    vista sux bigtime, everyone should use xp a few more years.

indeed!!!

(\__/)

--
    --
    --
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• Install went ok nice and clean no problems also followed
    recomendations re MSinet , changed it from the original 1998 cab file to the newer one

launched CF from FLMM and got the window open , it

makes contact commences updating Downloading patch rules then stops then a message appears as follows...

Crossfire Update not found ... only Singleplayer available [E4]

so I click on Single Player button and get this message in a separate window...

Problem starting Multiplayer [E4] (ok) (close)

close that and nothing happens SP doesn't start

Ah well it occupied 5 hrs of my day

• flmm has troubles working in vista. that's the cause of all problems - insufficient write permissions in fl folder. u could make it work by using Run as administrator from the programs context menu, but it may not work always as good doctor intended.

i don't have any additional info, since i am not using vista, but i had success in installing it on friend's computer using upper logic.

We sit together,
    The mountain and I,

- Li Po

Originally posted by Aukmune
    Crossfire Update not found ... only Singleplayer available [E4]

it couldnt download to the appropriate position. as already mentioned by goodone u need to start it as an administrator. also u need to have the permission to write into ur freelancer path. also u might need to get rid of any read only attribute in ur freelancer folder.

Originally posted by Aukmune
    Problem starting Multiplayer [E4] (ok) (close)

assuming this is [E5] and not [E4]: the installation is corrupt, some files r missing or u have no permission to write into the freelancer path...

(\__/)

--
    --
    --
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• Thank you , that actually made sense to me.

I must be learning something :)) I'll try again later today.

( it was [E5} btw )

I walk amongst Gods

rt clik icon , run as admin , straight in no problem at all few patches ran then I created char clik and Im on Manhatten pootled round the bar for a while launched to space total crash lost cursor task manager to restore control try again
    lots of patches ran this time clik straight into Manhatten space off I go

I'm pleased to announce I have lost my online virginity 8)
    presently esconced in Newark having had my wings removed by some nasty nasty Rogues
    I got their numbers I will see them later especially Kevin Key

when I can find a bigger stick :P

re firewall and a/v running norton '07 security 'cos it came free from BT and AVG 7.5 beta
    and its Vista Ultimate

• welcome to the world of multiplayer

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Thank you

now I hope 1.8 slips into place as easily :)

• so, now after we figured out this flmm permission problem, maybe u should make 1.8 standalone, op, no flmm requirement. it isn't of any use, anyway, since one cannot turn cf mod off using flmm. but i know u would like those startup choices to show, still.

regard my suggestion a mild one.

We sit together,
    The mountain and I,

- Li Po

• i am sorry to say this, but getting rid of the flmm wouldnt help here. the problem with permissions if not using administrator login is not only with flmm, but with the update process via CF launcher (like Aukmune had -> Error [E5]), too

(\__/)

--
    --
    --
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \