Server / mod lag

There are 46 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by daven.

• ok, since noone wants to write about that but everyone speak about that, lets try to clear some things
    latzely, many new errors have accured and they are desteroying the world of fighting
    first the server start to lag a bit, but it got fixed. now few ships seems to be lagged, and that will be fixed in the future
    but, atm, its almost impossible to fight even a normal stupid NPC. they are jumping all around the universe, X-3043 is full of lag and you cant fight there, and Top Gun lasts 2-2,5 hours becaose players are "jumping" all around the systems
    this starts to be very anoying to some of us

is maybe there a way to stop all that lag and return the server connection, speed, upload, etc to normal conditions again ?
    even if we have to remove DU, lower the number of avalible players or something like that ?
    i know that some of you guys are far away and have 300 ping, but even then (i also had it on some servers from USA) the server should be working propertly

OP, can you try to do something to lower the servers upload/download? (aside banning players, hehe)

• and what should i do?
    the dynamic universe cant be the problem
    also the changes done in the latest version (i already checked that)
    the server is running fine aswell
    and i cant see a difference in the connection from my point of view (beside that ships do jump for me and the fact that i cant explain it)

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I suppose we could ban all players with a ping over 100 .....

• yeah - and we could start with ehmm ... me

or i could do a voodoo dance and use my black magic to solve this problem

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Maybe I can help you to get the problem;

My ping is excellent (around 50), I hardly get lag in CF flying and I can tell you that comparising lag with others servers CF is very good.

There is only one situation that I get bad lag, when npcs and ppl are involved in a battle, then it is impossible to fight. If you are fighting against others ppl and npcs come to disturb the fight, mate, that is a nightmare of lag.

Of course if lot of players are fighting at same time and same system, you get lag, but you can fight more and less.

I hope I helped you

sangreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Another thing to think about. Wasnt there a code change to increase the evasive skill of the NPC pilots? Part of the "jumping" on the NPC part is their ability to now use reverse thrust. In addition to this even a small hit on the CPU usage in large numbers will produce lag. Take into account the number you see at your location and then add the NPC vs NPC encounters and then add the PC vs NPC encounters in all the other sectors. Part of the lag problem may not be from just a single source but from several sources compounded together and only showing up at various times. As it is, this problem will most likely not be resolved for a very long time and after extensive testing to narrow down the culprits and eliminate them one by one. The only thing that would make this faster is if everyone on the server gave up playing for about a week and helped the admin test various things to see how the system reacts. If the admin has any ideas that he wants to test..I am available to help in any way that I can.

~MN~Raekur

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    yeah - and we could start with ehmm ... me

or i could do a voodoo dance and use my black magic to solve this problem

Do it! ;)

Member of the Lost Prophets since 2006!

Originally posted by Wavey
    I suppose we could ban all players with a ping over 100 .....

I wont be able to play at all...my ping is in the range of 210-250 eventhough I have not lost package when I check :(

regards,

RG

[4] Don't argue, [3] Just do it

Originally posted by [K*19]Admiral-(NL)

Do it! ;)

i do that anyways ... every saturday around midnight

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Hey RG i was joking m8 :)

Still waiting for OPs voodoo to work

• Well, obviously, this is an individual problem... I never have a ping better than 185, but no packet loss, to my knowledge, and I have no problem with PvP or NPC combat (apart from lousy aim [7] ). I have noticed that NPC's seem to slow the server a bit during multiple-player battles, but even then, I have been able to hit opponents with weaps. Just accept the fact that there are several variables in your overall 'net connection performance, and adjust your game accordingly. This may mean you need to play at different hours, or change ISP's, or any number of things. One of our guys (Dark Angel) discovered he had a resource conflict on his comp, involving the USB ports; when he fixed that, his PvP results improved dramatically.

It is no use to blame the server for lag when there are so many potential sources. The server is only one variable in the overall real-time equation... [4]

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

• You can also reduce the variouis eye candy settings in your options menu; background stars, and planet atmospheres for instance; to relieve this problem.
    SOTIII [aka (IOC)Dark_Angel] has found that adjusting these settings causes npc's and other players to move much more smootly across the screen; hence they become easier targets.
    So as Centaurian says, there are many variables besides server lag, ping, and connection speed that affect how you view targets.

Originally posted by Titan_addict
    You can also reduce the variouis eye candy settings in your options menu; background stars, and planet atmospheres for instance; to relieve this problem.

i allways play with lowest details, but this doesnt stop the server/connection lag. only if your system has a low performance it would help you to run FL smooth.

Maybe we should check if it is CF by install the original FL on the server. Than more than 50 pll should go there and try to make lag. If we dont have lag, we try CF 1.4, then 1.5 , 1.6, 1.7.

[angel] Give me your hand and follow me into the light! [angel]

MSN: MarcBomber@arcor.de (no mail)
    IRC: irc.quakenet.org:6667 #Bomber

[SIZE=1] Post last edited by MarcBomber on 11.09.2005, 10:01 AM. [/SIZE]

• Recently i found out that if Vertical syncronization is not forced on in my video driver for FL its quite nasty to play - high fps but not smooth, its a bit jumping or liek you have low fps (sounds funny isnt it). Its caused when you originally have high fps but it often jump with 20-30fps up or down and the huge gap which appaer evry second makes it looks liek you dont have enough FPS

• going back to old versions to test things is not possible
    all chars would be incompatible with those old versions and crash the server as soon you log on

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Is there a way to disable all npc activies for about 1 week?

[angel] Give me your hand and follow me into the light! [angel]

MSN: MarcBomber@arcor.de (no mail)
    IRC: irc.quakenet.org:6667 #Bomber

[SIZE=1] Post last edited by MarcBomber on 11.09.2005, 10:01 AM. [/SIZE]

• yes it is able to deactive npcs but only those that are not mission related

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Something I discovered and it worked, was my pc was dedicating it's memory use to the System Cache rather than the Programs themselves.

I made this change and my lag in pvp has reduced a great deal.....hence so has my pvp wins.

I still have some issues, so I am going to investigate PC Force's and Dark_Angels suggestions.

We should all do these things just to reduce the number of possibilities.

Also, if those of you who run background programs will stop doing so when you are playing, your lag and jumping will be reduced.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• Hey guys,
    when u have some tips for me, plz... Because my PING, in good days is 250... and I need those tips to try to improve a bit my chances of doing a PvP... Thats why Capitania is my frequent choice and not a figther.... so i can catch some naive IOCs.... mhuahauhauhauhau.... [8]

Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

{LP}Amos and derivatives; {LP}Ivanov{X} from the Altair branch of LP