Adjusting some of the ini files in CF

There are 10 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by krokyk.

• I have read this thread about modding and decided I'd try adjusting some things for my new attempt at going through the SP. The tutorial says you can change (among tons of others)

Well I tried that and I was able to replace a ship in the starting base (Manhattan - figured its ID/nickname is Li01_01) by editing equipment/market_ships.ini, but for the the love of God I cannot figure out how to add some thrusters and weapons to that base - I've tried editing the Manhattan equipment vendor's inventory in the equipment/market_misc.ini but it is changed back to original EVERYTIME I launch the Freelancer - and I'm not allowing launcher to update my files when starting. I've even tried setting the readonly attr for that file but it is removed when I check back after the launch. All other files I played with and changed stayed untouched (i.e. my changes were preserved) but this one is always reverted back.

I've edited these files, and all except the market_misc.ini is working

Code
    1. D:\Freelancer Crossfire\DATA\EQUIPMENT\goods.ini
    2. D:\Freelancer Crossfire\DATA\EQUIPMENT\market_misc.ini
    3. D:\Freelancer Crossfire\DATA\EQUIPMENT\market_ships.ini
    4. D:\Freelancer Crossfire\DATA\EQUIPMENT\misc_equip.ini
    5. D:\Freelancer Crossfire\DATA\EQUIPMENT\misc_good.ini
    6. D:\Freelancer Crossfire\DATA\EQUIPMENT\ST_good.ini
    7. D:\Freelancer Crossfire\DATA\EQUIPMENT\weapon_good.ini

Any help here?

Edit: Is it because this is some sort of a special base (starting one)? Should I try others, like Pittsburgh (Li01_02?) which is the very next one you can land on in the SP campaign?

• Putting aside that the launcher would download and overwrite changes of ALL the equipment files if you do not abort the updates there is no difference in how these files are protected.

That just that one file is overwritten appears strange.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• So it should not be overriden, if I choose "No" for the update prompt, correct? Yet it is... What part of the game (orig/mod?) can do this?

In the video I'm showing orig CF files on the left and my adjusted files on the right. market_misc.ini is different (also displaying those few different lines in Beyond Compare). The timestamp and size difference are also obvious. Then I copy all the files from right to left overwriting CF content with mine. The files are binary the same as shown by Beyond Compare. Then after launching FL without accepting the update you can see that all the files in CF left side stayed the same except the market_misc.ini.

What should I do to adjust the equipment dealer's inventory on Manhattan? Am I doing something wrong?

• dunno atm

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I also noticed that even if I delete the file and launch the game without it, it appears afterwards within the CF files... Where the hell does it come from?

On the other hand, when I deleted market_ships.ini, the hangar in Manhattan is empty, no ship, so the impact of not having the file is expected and correct. Something fishy is going on... Can you perhaps try removing market_ships.ini and market_misc.ini and check on any base if hangar and equipment rooms don't have anything to sell?

• OK, problem solved - the correct file to edit equipment vendors is market_miscsp.ini. I assume either *sp or *mp gets copied to market_misc.ini (thus always overwriting it) during the launch based on whether you choose SP or MP...

• now that you say it... ;)

the files are being copied depending on which button you press on the launcher

I did not think about this minor detail and could not check it since I am on a different dev build atm.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• You can block the launcher from accessing the internet via a Windows Firewall rule if you need to only play single-player or do some testing of things.

However, this prevents any updates or dynamic economy from taking effect.

For the purposes of troubleshooting it may be worthwhile to attempt this approach, especially considering many of the forced-use default files are suboptimal and lack 'large address aware' capability.

• Thanks, but the problem was not there - I'm not even allowing launcher to download the updates because all my edits would be gone. And yes, I'm not into MP at all, wanna relive the old times when FL was such a hit. But since I've played through the campaign so many times, for this run I wanted to make it easier up to the Sol system... To breeze through the official part and then enjoy the CF mod content.

Btw, since you mentioned the dynamic economy - are all those files (always around 30-40) downloaded by the launcher related to only that? I thought just one or two files are holding the prices definitions for the goods. Or are all ini files downloaded by default in order to revert the CF content to its vanilla state if it was modded in any way?

• No, they are not just for economy updates.

There are other parts of the mod which needs frequent updates.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,