Fortnite vs Apple & Google

There are 6 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• What do you think about fight between Epic Games and Apple (Google) including lawsuits and Apple's threat with banning Epic's development status for IOS ... it looks like this thing may have quite wide consequences.

One from links to article with more details: Fortnite vs Apple vs Google: a brief and very incomplete timeline - The Verge
    (it seems these affairs have some history ... :) )

• While I think that the 30% profit sharing is absurdly high considering that these companies had zero efforts in development etc. I also would not see EPIC in the hero role here. Epic has its fair share of disgusting methods.

I am not really the biggest epic fan eventhough I like their game engine and the fact that every few weeks I get a nice game for free. The fact that they push against other companies always comes with a sour taste of pushing their own services and getting additional market share this way. What do you think will happen when Epic gets into the number one position on the market? I personally would assume that their policies will change to a less fair model just because they can.

But like I said... the 30% are really absurd... especially considering that there are exceptions for other big players on the market which have to pay less.

In my eyes 10-15% would be an acceptable range. Afterall these companies have to provide the services and infrastructure (which for sure also costs some money). They are somewhat in a similar role like a publisher.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Imo there is only real chance for reducing shared profit if court decide against Apple. They for sure do not want to do it by themselves. I also think that Epic Games aren't 'good guys', but at such lvl hardly anyone will play 'nicely' if want achieve some changes. Atm I'm more curious what will happen if Apple remove development account for EG and this includes (may?) engine used in numerous other products. If no one side step back, I think this fight my be really epic. Huge amount of money are in stake there imo.

• No court will make such a decision.

It is a free market and in such you can make good deals, bad deals or no deals. Just a matter of negotiation and decisions.

Even... if it ends infront of a court... by the time a decision is made the products (fortnite....etc.) might not even be relevant anymore.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

August 24

U.S. Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers grants a temporary restraining order that will prevent Apple from blocking Epic Games' access to development tools for its Unreal Engine, but as of now, she is not forcing Apple to put Fortnite back on the App Store. The restraining order goes into effect immediately and will remain in force until the court issues a final order on the motion for preliminary injunction in September.

Apple lost quite big hammer used against EPIC :) and there it seems is rising more and more cases about Apple forcing small devs to play under theirs rules.

• Well, Apple lost in a fast decision... but that actually does not mean much and can even be revoked.

Emails from Epic meanwhile were published which show that fairplay not really is their primary intention and that epic actually violated terms of the contracts.

This conflict could take years.

A billion $ company vs a trillion $ company.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,