Crossfire SP, are there any breaks between missions?

There are 6 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• Hello all,

Decided to try the Crossfire 2.0 single player campaign. Tried crossfire a few years back, and now that I've discovered how to get Freelancer working on Windows 10, had a blast playing through the original game, and decided to try Crossfire again.

I am hugely impressed by what you have achieved. I remember it being quite good, but this 2.0 version is excellent, loving the visual improvements, the ships, the systems, and the level of detail.

One thing that I'm having trouble with is that the Crossfire missions never break, I mean, as soon as you complete one mission you are locked into the next one. I have done several missions, several of which were real highlights (like the Saturn battle). I think I have just collected the datadisks from 3 systems... but at this point I really want to wander off for a while, maybe look for a better ship, maybe do some trading, and exploring, maybe kill some Xenos... and then come back to another CF mission. While it might be possible to leave the mission areas, making waypoints is locked out because you're on a mission, and it seems so far that you're always on a mission during the campaign. Does an opportunity for a mission break happen?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. It could be that I am missing something, or maybe a chance is coming up. If there are no breaks between missions like there were in the original campaign, then I would definitely support putting a few in, maybe every couple of chapters. It should be possible to set things up at some point so that the next mission begins when you talk to Juni on the Osiris, or something like that, and just let the player know that starts the next mission, that sort of thing happens often in the original game.

Again thanks for your efforts in bringing new life to this game.:thumbsup:

• My thought as developer is: it sucks.

The problem with such opinions is that they do not help to overcome the existing facts.

VanillaFL has a few points (I believe 5) at which the player can break free from the story mode until certain conditions are met (in most cases reaching a specific level).

These 5 points are hardcoded into the game engine. That means it is not possible to add more of such break points without having the source code of the game.

So there is no way changing the current situation.

All I was able to was using a different method to at least give players the possibility to pause the story at 3 fixed points (you get asked between the missions about that) to allow players to explore the game freely at key points of the storyline. The waypoint system unfortunatly does not work due to the hardcoded limitations.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Thanks for the reply SWAT_OP-R8R, I'll keep going with the story until one of these 3 fixed points come up, and then explore some of these new systems.

No waypoints, but that could be an interesting challenge. I started the CF campaign with a Deathblade that I got from Oasis, pretty nice ship, but I might try to get a Bullpup MkIII and do some space truckin'. Enjoying the new SP content very much, I'll see if I can attempt multiplayer after this, might be a bit of lag from Australia.

This is still the best space sim fix while we wait a few more years for Star Citizen. By the time that's ready, we'll have real FTL spaceships.

• Hello, IntrinsicRandomEvent,

welcome here on portal :) ...

I'll keep going with the story until one of these 3 fixed points come up

To avoid spoilers I just tell that on 1st occassion for pause you will be asked by Juni (and King) if ready to continue. Refuse to do so and look around that system (search in local asteroid field). It may need some time, but you may be surprised where it can/will lead (and there is coming more to this content this year ...). To continue with regular SP campaign just return to the same station/bar and you will be asked again. Agree to continue and you are back in SP campaign action.

• Hi Martind, thanks for the welcome,

I got to that system last night, after a rough battle with some nomad bombers that took several attempts.

That system is huge, must about the max size for a Freelancer system. Good to see gas giants that are a more realistic size. Went scouting through the asteroids for a while, there must be a jump hole in there somewhere but I didn't find it, just found asteroid miners, a lot of rocks, and that car Elon Musk sent into orbit (actually, that could be a great easter egg, Elon Musk's Tesla as a hidden wreck...). I'll have another look through it soon.

The break points work well as a way to bypass the hardcoded limitations, as long as you know they are coming. Could be something to add to the starter guide, just a mention that after chapter 4 you'll get a chance to break off from the missions and return later, if you decline the next mission from King and Juni.

Looking forward to what happens next.

• I would put a Tesla into the mod... but... copyrights.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Went scouting through the asteroids for a while, there must be a jump hole in there somewhere but I didn't find it, just

Follow this: Sol ... if you want find by your own, try area EbS (east-east-south) from Mercury (outher border of ring). JH can be seen 50km away, ideally using turret view.