Bug in script for mission #37

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• At the very end of Mission 37 - Crossfire Chapter 10 - Houses united, when you use the trade lane to shorten the distance to the last waypoint and then approach this waypoint from the "wrong" direction (red line), the scripted cut scene apparently doesn't fire correctly. The ships just continue flying and never stop at the rendezvous point, and the cut scene never ends.

Flying directly to the waypoint works fine (green line).

pasted-from-clipboard.png

• If it shows a waypoint then you are supposed to go there directly.

Using different paths always comes with the risk that something breaks. To prevent that we would have to created excptions for every possible path the player could take.

The amount of fail conditions we would need to create if players ignore the direct path is pretty high and even then I doubt that we would be able to cover every possibility.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Actually I disagree. From a players point of view the vector of approach shouldn't really matter for a way point. In vanilla FL it doesn't matter at all (that I know of), and players are pretty used to the "best path" functionality when manually setting way points, which normally would have chosen the trade lane as the quicker path to this way point, so it just seemed natural to do the same (and in fact it did save time).

I often do not use the direct way to a way point, be it because I want to explore ("what's the name of this planet?"), or to avoid specific areas like asteroid fields, etc. But this was the first time I've encountered such a problem.

I do understand the problem in this specific case though. Maybe as a quick fix completely removing the cut scene would already be enough. It doesn't really do anything spectacular anyway, you just see your ship stopping from an external view. I was actually surprised someone made the effort of creating a cut scene to show me just that. ;)

• Actually I disagree. From a players point of view the vector of approach shouldn't really matter for a way point. In vanilla FL it doesn't matter at all (that I know of), and players are pretty used to the "best path" functionality when manually setting way points, which normally would have chosen the trade lane as the quicker path to this way point, so it just seemed natural to do the same (and in fact it did save time).

I often do not use the direct way to a way point, be it because I want to explore ("what's the name of this planet?"), or to avoid specific areas like asteroid fields, etc. But this was the first time I've encountered such a problem.

I do understand the problem in this specific case though. Maybe as a quick fix completely removing the cut scene would already be enough. It doesn't really do anything spectacular anyway, you just see your ship stopping from an external view. I was actually surprised someone made the effort of creating a cut scene to show me just that. ;)

And here i have to disagree because of the developers point of view multiple events have to be triggered while flying from point a to point b. These triggers happen based on location or time. With other words if the player is at the wrong location or certain time conditions are not met then the next mission events can not be triggered.

Its not only about waypoint A or B... its also about loading specific settings while the player is traveling, spawning ships at specific ranges etc.

That same stuff does matter in vanilla FL aswell.

The main difference in vanilla FL is that 1) you dont travel that much (most of the missions happen only in specific areas while access to other areas is blocked) and 2) if you dont do exactly what the mission tells you to do the mission will fail and you are forced to load a savegame.

Try to ignore King on the very first mission when he tells you to dock with the first tradelane.

The vanilla storyline is full of fail triggers and fail conditions.

You fail if you die, you fail if king dies, you fail if you dont dock with the first tradelane, you fail if you dont dock with the 2nd tradelane, you fail if you leave the mission zone (multiple triggers), you fail if you try to dock with a docking ring or a station. All this for this tiny simple mission.

If I add the same to the crossfire storyline I would need at least another 2 years of development just to ensure that players dont take paths that they are not supposed to take.

"go to waypoint" means "go to waypoint"... it doesnt mean "go shopping" or "oh look there, this beautiful flower".

Creating mission scripts is a terrible job since you have to write every line of code by hand. Every tiny condition, every tiny event... with fallbacks and loops. And everytime you change something you have to test it and check if nothing else breaks. Some missions took weeks to complete.

Getting such a storyline done was only possible because I didnt include thousands of triggers with fail conditions.

And yes, that cutscene is there for a reason. They cover important events in the storyline. Since they are also hand written I wouldnt have included them without a reason. ;)

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• In my opinion he got sp00nfed ;)

But yeh its not vector of approach, its events that have to trigger on/along the way there, like a chain, skip a chainlink and there's no chain anymore.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• no actually he had a good point

I just have a bit more experience with that stuff

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• yes. such stuff happensn if you ignore what the game tells you to do

Best is to load a mission generated savegame (never the autosave) and try again

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,