CF1.6

There are 492 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Bond.

Originally posted by Marshal Cunningham
    Btw....cough, cough, railgun , eherm... :D

2 shots and you are dead. If not: you are banned for cheating ;) :P

12.gif

It's just a game, and it will always remain a game

• I don't understand what the big deal is. The battleships, cruisers, and gunboats were underpowered in the first place. An entire broadside from a battleship isn't enough to cause hull damage to most VHFs; generaly speaking in RL, ships of any size take down aircraft with one or two shots. How are capships supposed to be an appealing option if they're on par with manueverable fighters in firepower (no offense meant; they're still awesome as is)? If not railguns, could it be possible to create a compromise between the railgun and standard defense turret?

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• Yeah, I can take down 2-3 averagely skilled players in the Osiris but one skilled player in a VHF with good weps and good tactics can take me out. And flak turrets are pretty much useless. Batttleships really do need better weapons, or at least less spinning.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'
    - John Greenleaf

Funny how a super manly show about awesomeness makes people bawl like little girls.
    - MySpaceBarBroke on Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

• Battleship vs fighter make sense i mean even the pilot with a fighter is good he have small chances to take out the BS if you control it like you should. Another example a group fight - you easy are becoming a primary target of the oponent pilots so you get enough targets to fire at and same time you give time to your team to move or attack them without to be bothered of opponent fighters. Another way to use them is blockades - with its long range weapons and big size its perfect for the purpouse.

Here comes the place of the gunboats, destroyers and cruisers - we havent seen them yet we only can guess from OP gave us as information but here how i see their place. Their advantage is in their size/mobility/firepower ratio. They will be faster than BSs, good firepower i supouse, also most of them (mostly the gunboats i think) could be dockable on most bases and planets with no mooring fixtures and this mean you can use them evrywhere when you start from clan systems and get to the last "hole" in the universe where is a docking bay. Same time it will use more hull, better shield and more firepower than a fighter. When the new version of the mod is ready we will see how they perform in diferent tasks and make conclusions.

• That one sounds familiar. Isn't this the bad-ass missile from Privateer 2? That was my favorite. One shot from a banshee and most fighters were toast. A true fire-and-forget bandit buster. :-)

• Ops already posted on this thread there will be a super torpedo for attacking BSs but to answer marshals point is in RL a navy ship can kill any fighter in one hit from a SAM but a fighter can use a anti ship missile like an Exocet and sink the ship in one hit but the ships have missile defense systems

• uiuiui, i hope to be able to play 1.6 soon :)

Dark:

sry for me being offline that much atm, but when i dont get 3 in next test pc will be locked away 8o and the time i am at it i spend on guildwars.(but atm fl is pulling me to the pc, maybe we see each other soon)

My Homepage

[7] [7] [7] [7] [7] [7] [7]

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

Originally posted by darkstalker
    anti ship missile like an Exocet and sink the ship in one hit but the ships have missile defense systems

Yeah, Battleships need point-defense systems, although how you would manage such a thing is beyond me.

- John Greenleaf

Funny how a super manly show about awesomeness makes people bawl like little girls.

• @ Shados

[B]"Genius is 1% Inspiration, and 99% Perspiration."
    - Albert Einstein
    [/B]

That quote is actually from Thomas Edison. :D

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

Originally posted by darkstalker
    anti ship missile like an Exocet and sink the ship in one hit but the ships have missile defense systems

Just because I like to play spin-doctor, I'd like to point out that the advantage the ships have over aircraft is durability. A capship can take many hits if they don't tear holes at or below the waterline. Aircraft on the other hand, rarely survive a hit of any kind (assuming we're speaking nautically, of course).

Tying this back to the Mod though, I still would like to emphasize that the capitol ship guns are weak. In my opinion, it's a serious balance issue (along with the lack of cargo space). A dreadnaught should be able to take on a dozen VHFs at once and stand a chance of coming out of it in one piece. Likewise, there should be anti-battleship torps that do the job quick (which OP has already done). The only problem I would see in beefing up the guns would be all the players buying battleships instead of fighters. I bet it would work if only a select few people were allowed to buy them...I for one would have a lot of fun even with something as small as a gunboat if I knew it wasn't going to be a pushover.

As for point-defense systems, I would assume the laser is a superior technology over the guided missile. What's the economic point of lobbing thousands in hardware at something when you can just shine a light at it (vaguely speaking)? If there won't be better guns, missiles would be good then. Anything to give the poor things a better means for defening themselves.

If you still disagree I won't push it any further. I'm glad the mod has pilotable capships; I'm not trying to be overly critical. I just think it's crazy that I can jump into my shroud and tear appart an opponent's battleship in a matter of twenty or so seconds using guns that really shouldn't be doing anything more than bouncing off the armor plating. ?(

• Did I say Albert Einstein? 0.o, well it was ~2:30 AM, not the best time for coherent though.

- John Greenleaf

• There's no doubt of this in my mind that this is spam, but I can't help myself. We're off topic at this point anyway. Shados, I hate to break the bad news to you, but I have succeeded in sinking foam boards on a number of occasions. How, you may ask? That's a secret (and no, I didn't deface, destroy, or tie anything to them to weigh them down). Hope OP posts again soon to get us back on track. :D

• hey, perhaps this has been aswered before :P
    but, will there be new pilotable Battleships from Starlancer (i know that the coalition ones wont be) ?

thanks !

"BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"
    "Saint and Sinner..."

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

• yes it already has been answered before

and i say it again ... a last time
    I DONT WANT BS USED THAT OFTEN IN CF
    they cause lag, and therefore they wont be strong so ppl will only use them for the fun of it but not for fights
    and those cruisers and gunboats come with premounted guns

the only pilotable alliance bs is the reliant and the flak cannon are point defence weapons (if you didnt notice yet)

there is no need to discuss about this topic any longer now

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• When we speak about the flak cannons really i tried anything but they hit nothing except a static target - if that target is loot they do some damage and give opposite way speed of the loot if its trade line they do some "energy damage" - if its ship they do nothing and if its missile or torpedo they really do nothing. Maybe i missed anything in those tests?!

• I'm not shure if anyone has asked this before, but what will be the docking rules of the cruisers and gunboats? Will they need mooring fixtures or will they be able to dock anywhere?