A tool to manage characters?

There are 16 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Lone_Renegade.

• I've seen threads where people asked about transfering funds from one character to another, and that the only way it could be done was by asking an Admin to do it for you.

Since the admins already have enough to take care of at the moment, I thought: Why not propose to create a tool to manage the characters?

It would be compatible with JoeBoomz's IONCross server manager (maybe we could ask him too) and it could be used on the Client-side to manage characters.

So for example, I have 2 accounts. One is for trading, the other is for fighting, racing, whatever... What I would like to do is be able to transfer credits earned through trading to my other account to buy equipment and such.

Also, it would be nice to transfer looted weapons across characters. Say I recuperated a bunch of MK2 weapons: I open the tool, decide which ones to swap, and bam! I don't need to be afraid of having to hold on to the weapons and the server crashing: they are saved with my other character!

Another neat feature would be to implement some kind of data transfer. Like if you explore with one character a lot and know a lot of places, and at the same time you discover interesting trade routes, you could be able to transfer your nav map and update the one on your other character. I think it is possible since you can buy information from NPCs...

Finally, a traderoute calculator would be nice. Based on your ship and commodities to trade (and on the bases known by the player), it calculates the profit made and the length of the trade route. Also, the route's "riskiness" could be measured (based on the friendliness with other factions and where they are through the systems), so that daring players can make high-risk, high-profit dealing, whilst new players can calculate good trade routes with less risk of getting killed.

I know this tool is doable, everything in Freelancer is coded or written down somewhere in a file, so the program would just need to be told how to interpret the data. I think it actually even exists for non-modded servers running the IONCross manager. Now we'd just need to make the necessary changes to have the tool work with CF 1.57.

So how does this idea sound to you guys?

Comments, constructive criticism and ideas are welcome. Go ahead: post!

[CFPD]Lone_Renegade __________[CFPD]Lone_Renegade_TR
    [CFPD]Lone_Renegade*/**/***__[CFPD]Lone_Renegade_BS

Crossfire Federal Police Department Website

When you want to curse and swear, don't despair, use some flair. Be creative with your words, and enjoy the whole affair!

• i think it would be a too high security risk.

see the latest bugs that and problems with servercrashes and lag

i bet someone will analyse the traffic or whatever and find a way to cheat money, weapons n stuff

so i am against it

[angel] Give me your hand and follow me into the light! [angel]

MSN: MarcBomber@arcor.de (no mail)
    IRC: irc.quakenet.org:6667 #Bomber

[SIZE=1] Post last edited by MarcBomber on 11.09.2005, 10:01 AM. [/SIZE]

• We all have the problem of having the wrong things in the wrong ships. Most of us just ask someone to hold them while we change chars. If you do this in NY, it is usually safe, just ask any clan member who is passing. We are usually happy to help.

When you know people better, you will be able to ask the FL's as well. Nearly all the people on this server are good people, and also happy to help.

PiA_JtaK

• Hmm, perhaps you are right, MarcBomber. Maybe that idea could be useful for later though... Who knows...

Anyways, I guess we'll just have to use JTAK's method...

Anyone else has something to say?

When you want to curse and swear, don't despair, use some flair. Be creative with your words, and enjoy the whole affair!

• Renegade, where as your idea has merit I have to agree with MarcBomber and Jtak. There are plenty of people who will go out of their way to help you just as there seems to be many who would intentioinaly or unintentionaly disrupt the CS servers. Just ask. [4]

• do you really think i would create such a tool or would permit it and open a very big security leak this way?

and how do you think you can prevent others to edit your chars? lol

no just forget about this idea

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Well, I thought that each copy of Freelancer was assigned a special internet key, which is how we don't end up with others' character, but yes you are right considering the fact that the tool would need to access special files, it could cause a great security fault.

Originally posted by Lone_Renegade
    Well, I thought that each copy of Freelancer was assigned a special internet key, which is how we don't end up with others' character

what about the cracked versions?

"We have to face facts, this age has no wish for fighters like us."

Trowa, Episode 25

Forum PIMP since 2004

Originally posted by Lone_Renegade
    True, true... Ok well you can delete this thread now... :D

Delete this thread ? no.. it should stay, and we all know why

*fart*
    "Danger, volatile gases detected"
    "argh, stupid computer"
    *BOOM*
    -------------------------------------------
    Server Characters:
    -DayDreamer (Merc.)
    -Zpectre (Smugler)
    -Day[Racer] (Racer)

• Now here's a thought that passed through my feeble mind.......What about a tool JUST torename a character? Would this cause a problem with bad elements? This way if you join a clan or group, you could judt rename that character. No switching weapons or money or such.

To answer my own question, I can see, faintly, that this could cause a little confusion or abuse, but still an intersting idea. [4]

• this would mess up chars

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Ok so what have we learned?

Eh?

Eh?

Well, we better ask OP to change our name if we really need it, and ask help from other players to transfer credits/equipment/weapons.

I think it can be locked now.

• No, you create a new char if needed and ask people to help you do transfers.

A trade calculator? Uh......no. That would be no better than using DataStorm to find ships etc.

Explore and find the trades, many of us have countless hours doing this, so ask around..........or better yet....explore.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• Ok on that point I think I'll have to go in depth because I didn't make myself clear.

By trade calculator, I mean a tool which uses the information that you have gathered from your explorations to calculate the best route. Like when you buy commodities, if you look in your cargo hold and click on "Trade Routes", the best price is always shown on the top of the list.

The tool could use this info to calculate the best route, but doing so offline, so that players can plan in advance where they are going to go. I know someone did it before, but it only covered the default commodities of FL. In this case it could cover CF's commodities too.