Random Crashes

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by GIjOEL.

• So I've been playing single player and lately my game has been crashing at random points so its been really hard to determine what the problem is. Is it a shader problem? I've been using the Vanilla FL shader option because my computer isn't that good. I'm also using the Liberty Gunboat, not sure if that makes any difference. Would reducing the graphics quality make a difference? The last time it crashed I was using my tractor beam. Sometimes it crashes when I choose the option to leave a space station or planet and sometimes it just crashes when I'm just cruising through space. I am currently running crossfire on my pc's default resolution of 1366x768. This problem is really frustrating because sometimes i don't even get half an hour of game play in before it crashes.

PC specs:

Processor: AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics - 2.00 GHz (Ouch!)

Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Please help!

GIjOEL

• Hello GIjOEL,
    your crashes at bases might be related to a problem discussed here: leaving base cause crash (posting this link so you could know when it's solved).

About other cases I am not sure... Maybe your system is a bit unstable (do any other applications crash too?) or something interferes with Crossfire (did you add CF folder to exceptions in your anti-virus software?), or you have made wrong settings in game (i.e. 3D sound should be disabled) or there is a hardware problem (e.g. the APU overheats and starts to malfunction at some point)... Hope some of these guesses help you find the problem.

Another general recommendation is to update all drivers to their latest versions, as well as to install DirectX libraries from the Microsoft site: Download DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Official Microsoft Download Center

- Wanderer -

P.S. Next time please try our awesome Bugtracker to report a problem with the game.

• Strange, I can change this setting in game. But you can also do it by editing "PerfOptions.ini" file in Documents/My Games/Freelancer (set USE_3D_SOUNDS = 0.00).

One more thing you can try is adding your graphic card to flconfigdatabase.txt - please check the 1st post in this thread: How to avoid grafic Problems while playing Freelancer

• Ha funny! I was just about to change the 3D sound option in the ini file but then realised that I couldn't change the 3D sound setting because I was actually in the game. I had to be in the main menu in order to change the 3D sound setting. HA! Anyway thanks for the help! Hopefully this makes a difference! Also I managed to play crossfire today without crashing once! I was playing with a lower screen resolution (1026x768x32) previously running on 1366x768 or something like that (i think thats the widescreen resolution anyway its my pc's default resolution) . Perhaps that was the problem. Still don't really know. Anyway thanks for being so cooperative wanderer! I'll tell you if I have anymore problems.