audio file locations

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by alien jetpack.

• Could anyone help with finding the audio files in Crossfire ?
    I just mean someone that has that stuff already handy, already listed somehow, from working on Crossfire.

what happened:
    Found some audio files (/DATA/AUDIO folder) but may have missed a lot of others. Like if some are in non-audio movie or other file types, wasn't sure. Need some help to double check.

Also some (in use not ignored) seemed to be in both Crossfire mod and in original Freelancer. Not sure if I was right about this or if all in-use audio was in Crossfire mod folder only.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    friend of mine one night, couldn't believe I missed this one:
    ...you'll need screws, bolts, washers, sure - but rubber faucet washers will be great for mounting that; and of course you're definitely going to need a can of updock.

What's up doc ?

Anyhow... back to nodding off.

• why?

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Voice files mainly. I want to try normalizing (get all volume levels same), remove raspiness or harshness and clipping, maybe additional cleanup and touch up. Maybe look over music files too, same thing.

HOWEVER...my PC audio setup is too shaky (e.g. I'm broke, it needs parts and software updates/ upgrades, it glitches and crashes with present setup). I'd volunteer (post for looking over?) but wouldn't be able to commit or complete audio clean & touch up - my PC's too buggy. Mod practice and learning, such as it is, during downtime while saving and updating audio gear.

Hope that clarifies ? is that okay to try working on ?

• (That's "I'm gonna try but it's gonna crash". I'll still try, but...)

Think freeware audio editors like audacity or reaper, even novices could easily smooth out / touch up at least the voice files - at least normalize all (all volume levels the same). Re-normalizing ones that are where you want them won't alter them enough to hurt them any.
    Equalization curves (tone controls) can help reduce harshness - drop off highs, maybe then try boosting lows and mids too. Short reverb and echo (light touch) can help make sound fuller sometimes too.
    They're not a cure but would make what's there much much easier on the ears while awaiting new voice files.
    Looks like it'd take a weekend or two, but not sure how many files are in there.

Again I'd try but my PC's going to glitch for sure.

• there is no clipping or need to smooth something in those samples

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Whoop ouch Crossfire's fine then, so either my download's mulched or it's my PC or both. CF mod ran fine, guess that threw me if download didn't make it. I'll recheck all.

My PC's been fine for playback, not recording or editing, but it's probably affected too. So thanks good to find out. Many newer dialogues on mine sound rough but it's file condition or the PC, not the mod.

Um... is it still okay to ask if all audio is in the DATA/AUDIO file ? Guess I wasn't clear, was for making sound for the mod, more so when my PC is fixed. (was going to touch up too, not needed)

• Hello alien jetpack,
    there is no need to worry about your download or file condition. Crossfire voice files indeed are clipped (I just checked in Adobe Audition), and also sound "harsh" compared to original dialogues due to poor recording & processing quality (that's normal since mod developers are not expected to own professional studio equipment).

After a quick research I think you can try to fix the sound by normalizing levels and then using an FFT filter to remove frequencies above 7500 Hz (that's what all original FL files are like). Saving the result requires some attention - output file must be an MP3 stream in a WAV container, and not all MP3 codecs are supported by Freelancer (Fraunhofer IIS encoder should work).

Besides I'm not sure how the anti-cheat system will react on your modified files if you try to play online, or whether such modification is even allowed by the mod's license agreement.

P.S. I was talking about *.wav files in DATA\AUDIO all the way.

- Wanderer -

• Much thanks folks.

I quick looked again at some voices on an audio editor - the levels are way up but acceptably the way CD and DVDs that play clean are. The "middle_ish" main-major body of the voices looked unclipped - so I could see what SWAT_OP R8R meant. Plus I'm skeptical of my gear.

Also quick-easy-lazy tried Audacity audio editor for its preset equalization curves (old EQ curves for LPs). Crashed a couple of times but then even just that took a lot of the edge off. But again I said I'd factor in what SWAT_OP said too, to try to be fair. I copied then tampered separately, left the mod untouched.

If I had to, I'd go with your impression on the raggedness. But try to be open, consider other impressions, takes figuring for with multi opinions. A few sound vocoder-ed or modulated - cool effects, but wasn't sure of harshness. It's cool it runs, anything can be re-tweaked however along or finished it is.

I would submit for consideration new files rather than change mine if online but good point could've easily missed that. Thanks for the touch up and codec advice, probably would've near-missed the codec choice. Used to follow guitar and synth forums, they're handy for record and edit tips but if novice helps to ask for novice advice first.

Thanks much.