Automatic turrets

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• Auto-turrets, im sure every mod will eventually face such request, quick searching found no such thing yet... So, here it is! :D

A certain Star Wars mod has/had some sort of working concept of turrets that fire automaticly, as i know nothing of Freelancer editing i dont know how hard it is to mod in such feature but it would certainly have its uses and would enable larger capital-ships to behave the way they should.

Im saying all this in a Single-player perspective, there would be rather nasty balance-issues in PvP if such things existed or they would need very brutal testing first. If possible it would be nice to have separate turrets for normal vanilla-gameplay and then toned down auto-versions of the same turrets that one maybe cant fire manually at all, etc...

• not going to happen... thats like a cheat

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Using it as it is, yes it would be cheating, thus my idea of balancing a set of new specificly made auto-turrets one cannot fire manually at all and with much reduced power.

Basicly the whole concept is to make large multi-turreted capital ships act like they should: Fly smack in middle of the battle, fire in all directions and outlast an outnumbering enemy. Or "Press a button and wtf-pwn some starter npc-pirates for fun"

You could also mix in a few "normal turrets" to pick off targets of priority while the rest slowly chew up the surrounding enemies.

Also a merchant-ship could focus on getting out of there while its turrets provide cover against the faster and smaller enemies.

AS MENTIONED - im saying all this from a SINGLE PLAYER perspective. Maybe it would be best to leave em out of MP games before fully balanced.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple question: How hard is it to make auto-turrets? Cause im not seeing any mod using them, or did i miss some? Ignoring balance etc. Just "how hard" ?

• swatti: Please leave auto-turrets idea. There are more reasons why they are not welcome in Crossfire and mod creator (SWAT_OP-R8R) told more times as once that they will be not on CF.

• Ok fine, its your mod.

But regardless, im still asking "how hard is it" as i dont see ANY mod actually using such... Kinda strange imo. Or is there any mod using it?

• dunno, we practically dont care much about how others do stuff

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Comparing things: How hard would it be to add auto-turrets? Back in the day there were some talk about it, some said it was virtually impossible, since NPCs use em, why cant player...

Freelancer is certainly based to be "fighter-craft game" and leave cap-ships to NPCs but considoring mods bring cap-ships to player and they have huge amounts of turrets, its kinda silly to be able to fire in only one direction at a time. Some vanilla ships lose quite some of their dmg-output because some turrets never face the right way.

Perhaps you can say im driven by the fact that the single-player balance is bit off, and to be honest this could "even the odds" a bit. Coming from a longtime MMO-player (till i moved further from a proper connection) i can imagine what auto-turrets could do in MP and PvP, thus im only requesting em as a perhaps "standalone" addon-mod to be used in Single-player.

• because its not possible to apply npc AI to a player ship
    except you write a plugin which does it... and since this is a cheat on 99.9% of the servers you will barely find people which would do that

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,