So close to being able to play... but strange problem

There are 6 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by /V\ichael.

• Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Crossfire community. I played Freelancer YEARS ago and following the announcement of Star Citizen I decided to try it again.

I found out about the Crossfire mod and the community and thought i'd give it a try.

I've managed to get the game to launch with Crossfire installed. There is a slight issue in that my font appears REALLY tiny, but switching the resolution around fixes that (to REALLY large).

I tried the single player game. It runs fine, up to the point I launch to go into space. I click launch, the game minimises to my menu bar then eventually disappears.

I tried logging into a multiplayer server randomly. I got in, to the starter planet, went to the pub/store, etc. But the moment I try to launch into space the same 'crash' happened.

There is no error message, the game just stops.

Any advice? Has anyone else experience something similar?

• Hello otteranglais,

I will have few questions. What crossfire mod version you have installed? Are you launching it via launcher and have you let download all updates? Is also possible that during mod activation some of mod files not overwrite old FL files because they were write protected. Is recommended after FL install clean all "read only" attributes and run mod installation and activation! like system administrator.

• Welcome to the SWAT Portal, the keeper of the Lancers.

The advise to remove "read only" from every Freelancer file is recommended, but that on the new fresh Freelancer install, after uninstalling CF, then FL then Return Backups (Ctrl + R) on the FLMM to clean up it's mod history.

Counting that you are using FLMM 1.3.1 (even though it says 1.3 on the FLMM window) and that you got Crossfire 1.9 and activated it on a Fresh and clean FL install, there are 2 possible causes, some files from the CF additions not being installed (due to not being able to replace a "Read only" file, or for not having "Administrator" rights, for which you have to start as Admin on Win Vista/7/8) or that there's something up with your graphic card, due to an old driver or for being very modern where you would have to edit a freelancer File to detect your card properly. More info on this here: Information: How to avoid grafic Problems while playing Freelancer

Even though that was never a needed edit to make Crossfire work, I suggested it as a possible option, I don't know your PC machine :D

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Thankyou for the feedback guys.

I am using the FLMM 1.3.1.
    I have Crossife 1.9 and i'm installing it on a fresh install of freelancer.

I think the problem is my base version of freelancer - i don't have this 'launcher' that you guys are talking about. I click on the Freelancer icon and it goes straight to the game (v1.0)
    If i play with this version, WITHOUT Crossfire, it does the same thing, crashes.

I tried to manually download the 1.1 patch but when i try to launch it i get a message saying "The retail version of freelancer is not installed on this system".

So i bypassed 1.1 ; i went straight to the unofficial 1.4 patch. It works! I can go around in space after extracting the files.

So i then tried to install Crossfire, and it stopped working again! ARGH!

• You don't need the V1.1 version for CF to work, it has everything needed already included.

Unofficial version 1.4 is not a version... more like a mod, and the Crossfire Mod is not compatible with anything else (since it changes everything and even scratches the FL engine itself).

And I don't really see how you can start Freelancer without the Launcher (not while CF is installed)... well, when you uninstall everything again, remember to also clean the My Games folder inside My Documents (cus of the config files you got there as I see you have no save file there, else the game would crash since the start screen), and use something like CCleaner to clean the possible registries related.

Once you have Freelancer installed, fresh (just what's on the disk), enter the game once, and test if it works. Then activate Crossfire, choose lower options at the graphic settings like turnng off the Advanced Shaders, then, don't launch the game from desktop, go to where you installed the game ( by default, the Program Data\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE folder ) and start the game from the "Freelancer" that is there.
    If it STILL goes directly to the game instead of showing up a smaller window that says it updates files, means the activatioin failed. You didn't unpack the mod properly, or didn't took off the "Read Only" from FL files like the exe, as Freelancer.exe itself gets replaced.

To unpack the mod you have to start the file you downloaded, not unrar or other stuff, and if FLMM is installed at it's default address, don't touch the destination address of the CF Unpacker. It should have no \ at the end. Once the mod unpacks, FLMM (which was shut down while unpacking) has to come up by itself, if it doesn't, means that it went wrong.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

Edited once, last by /V\ichael: . ().

• It really looks as if the files were Read Only , the Freelancer.exe itself, and FLMM couldn't replace it with the new one.

It can also look as when somebody manually copies the files from a place on another, (pack-> FLMM or FLMM -> Mod) but that's a bit different, as it shouldn't load the planet, and neither the menu.

Note: You can take off the "Read Only" sign on the whole folder and what's inside, but first do APPLY, then Accept.