Try to AVOID technical problems

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Prt-Cht.

• I am completly new to crossfire. I even haven't installed it yet. But going through the forums I learned, that Crossfire isn't "easy" in many ways. So before spoiling any fun I want to

Try to AVOID technical problems

before installation. That's why I have some questions in advance. Since my intention is to shorten things for me (not to go through ALL threads here and in Tech probs) I try to
    keep my questions easy to answer.

1. The Crossfire installation requires FLMM 1.31. The FLMM 1.4 is mentioned as NOT WORKING. What about FLMM 1.5beta 1 ??? (found it on a link from a link from a site linked to moddb)

2. When Crossfire is installed to FLMM, can I "switch" mods by activating/deactivating/activating ??? (i.e. from Crossfire to BigDaddy and vice versa)

3. Read a lot of tech probs with the "new" missions dated up to about 20th of july, mostly crashing at some points and problems to reload. Are these issues solved by now ??? (installation via updater I would assume)
    Otherwise I should perhaps wait until version 2.0 is released ?

Thanks in advance for your attention and efforts.

• 1. The Crossfire installation requires FLMM 1.31. The FLMM 1.4 is mentioned as NOT WORKING. What about FLMM 1.5beta 1 ??? (found it on a link from a link from a site linked to moddb)

To shorten it. Use FLMM 1.31. Its the only version that seems to work perfectly. And dont mind if it seems to freeze during activation. Thats normal and you should wait until its finished no matter what the result will be!

2. When Crossfire is installed to FLMM, can I "switch" mods by activating/deactivating/activating ??? (i.e. from Crossfire to BigDaddy and vice versa)

Once activated you cannot deactivate it - if you would do so your FL will get corrupted and you can never activate Crossfire again without doing the whole installation (FL, FLMM, CF) again.
    I recommend once you have installed FL, make a copy for later use. Install CF and activate it. If you want to use another mod, backup the CF mod and current FL installation, restore your backup and activate the new mod. If you want to switch back to CF you can easily do this by just renaming the backed up CF installation or directly launch the freelancer.exe from your backuo directory

3. Read a lot of tech probs with the "new" missions dated up to about 20th of july, mostly crashing at some points and problems to reload. Are these issues solved by now ??? (installation via updater I would assume)[size=8]
    Otherwise I should perhaps wait until version 2.0 is released ?[size=10]

Let the launcher patch and finish its job. Also if you want to play singleplayer. I am not sure about the crash - but it still might occur. Best it to try it out. Sorry that i cant be more specific about that. We can deal with this issue if you have it.
    And no you should not wait. Its better to get familiar with the mod now. There will be new stuff - but then you dont have to do the whole stuff (exploring and getting familiar then, when everyone still has his vessel ready).

Hope this help a bit.

signature.png

• Thanks a lot Huor,

that clears some things up. Now it seems, that I have to find the necessary time to set things up as you suggested.

edit: question about : how to do best

Once activated you cannot deactivate it - if you would do so your FL will get corrupted and you can never activate Crossfire again without doing the whole installation (FL, FLMM, CF) again.
    I recommend once you have installed FL, make a copy for later use. Install CF and activate it. If you want to use another mod, backup the CF mod and current FL installation, restore your backup and activate the new mod. If you want to switch back to CF you can easily do this by just renaming the backed up CF installation or directly launch the freelancer.exe from your backuo directory

Step 1 "backup FL installation"
    copy the whole folder "Freelancer" from "C:/Programme/Microsoft Games", put it somewhere else, rename it i.e. "Freelancer_original", put it back to "C:/Programme/Microsoft Games"

Step 2 "install CF"
    to be done as described elsewhere in excess (good tutorials !)

Step 3 "backup CF mod and current FL installation"
    rename now existing folder "Freelancer" at
    "C:/Programme/Microsoft Games" to i.e. "Freelancer_CF", then rename the now existing folder "Freelancer_original" to "Freelancer"

Step 4 "another mod"
    activate another mod via FLMM .....STOP: dont I have to deactivate the Crossfire mod in FLMM before I activate another one ???????????
    Then play the other mod ????????????

Step 5 "back to Crossfire"
    "Just" start (doubleclick) the "freelancer.exe." in the folder "Freelancer_CF" at "C:/Programme/Microsoft Games" and I'll be there again.

Did I got this right, as you intended Huor ? Or is there anything else I missed ? Especially I'm not sure about the activation/deactivation in FLMM during this process.

Thx in advance

Edited once, last by Prt-Cht: forgot important question in the first run ().

• Great advice und tutorial on your link !

Thanks a lot. This will REALY help me.

It should be stickied on a PROMINENT place.

Sorry, me bad.
    The thread you wrote your lil' tut IS already stickied.

Edited once, last by Prt-Cht: too quickly to suggest something ().

• p.s.: ... can be find also in FAQ :)

• I have not used FLMM to switch mods in some time, but I recall that "deactivating" the mod was not sufficient to restore FL to its original state. If you intend to run a second mod alongside CF, then you must use the "Restore Backups" option in the Tools menu. This applies whether it's CF or any other mod run by FLMM; the backup files restore the files changed by CF and other mods, rather than trying to deactivate them. It is equally important after that to clear any "autosave" or "restart" files from your My Documents\My Games\Freelancer folders, or they will corrupt the start of whatever mod you are switching to. As mentioned above, be sure to read all the FAQ's and the CF Guide, and you'll be fine. 8)

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

• http://www.swat-portal.com/php…il&category=7#question162

... used cca 5 different CF installs (graphics settings)

• Thanks a lot for all of your attention to this thread and questions of me.

Never thought, that it would still be visited after Huor's great advice. :thumbup:

I've tried and tested it and it works perfectly the way I was looking for. Now I can play several mods, the original (as a "comparision base")
    AND Crossfire, that I already start to see as a something on the edge of being something BEYOND Freelancer.

Btw, a little "surplus" info on the regedit in Huor's advice : I let's you DELETE the mod out of the FLMM, saving some (for me) precious HD-space :)