Best LCD for Freelancer

There are 12 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by [UR]GrandAndreasK.

• Hello,

I would like to ask kind folks here for advice on the best monitor for Freelancer. I am going to build a new gaming rig and I am also going to get a new monitor. I have gamed on 16:10 22" LG Flatron 225WS, which has a 5ms TN panel. I am looking for a monitor upgrade, both in size and features. What would give me superior "space sim" experience - a 2ms 120Hz TN panel or 5ms(or more) 60Hz MVA/IPS(PLS) panel? While 120Hz should provide for more fluid feel of the game, MVA/IPS should provide for more immersion due to their superior colour quality.

As I aim to play Freelancer "old school" style, i.e. 4:3, I am looking for a 16:10 24" or 16:9 27" monitor as this size would give me the same screen estate (or more) when playing Freelancer pillarboxed as playing Freelancer on a 4:3 20" screen.

I am deciding between the following monitors, but please feel free to advice me on whatever model you have good experience with.

24" 1920 x 1200
    * Samsung SyncMaster S24A450BW (5ms TN)
    * Samsung SyncMaster S24A850DW (5ms S-PLS)

27" 1920 x 1080
    * Samsung SyncMaster S27A650D (8ms MVA)
    * BenQ GW2750 HM (4ms MVA)
    * Samsung SyncMaster S27A750D/950D (2ms 120Hz TN)

27" 2560 x 1440
    * Samsung SyncMaster S27A850D (5ms S-PLS)

What are your experiences with these models or what other models would you recommend?

EDIT: Does anyone has any experience with playing Freelancer on HDTV? Some HDTVs seem to be great for PC gaming, like LG 32/37/42LS570S and LG 47LS5600 or like Philips 32/37/42PFL4007H and 46PFL5606H. All of these models are pretty recent and offer both gaming mode and 4:3 mode.

Dag

Edited once, last by Dag: Added HDTV question. ().

• lol we have the same monitor, just that mine has an extra "L" and a number.

Mine is LG FLATRON L222WS.

As LCD monitors don't have the stroboscopic (flashes) issue as the older tube monitors, 60 or 120 Hz doesn't matter as much as the colors, so I would vote for the MVA/IPS one.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I got a 42" LG-SL80 200 hertz lcd....its alright for CF but i would like a 50" LG 50PZ950 600 hertz plasma that is on sale now...

annyway if you are into micro monitors -30" then i stll think that LCD and LED sucks...cos of low hertz and fps -.- get a plasma...and feal the power of 600hz

Or mayby a 3D screen?

I Don't Need To "Get A Life." I'm A Gamer. I Have Lots Of Lives! :D

It can be good rebels like in starwars :thumbup:

Plz visit >>> United Rebels - Portal

Intel i7-4930k| Corsair H80 liquid cooling with 2x Noctuna NF-F12 Industrial | Rog Rampage IV Extreme| Corsair Vengance 32gb 4x8gb| 2x EVGA Classified GTX 980ti SLI| Corsair 1050w silver-80 PCU | about 30TB storage (Seagate Archive) (for p-rat torrents 24/7 when not playing CF offc) | a 240GB Rog Raidr pci-e for Windows 10 Pro upgraded from win7 With Classic Shell to give me the XP/Win7 start menu and a Aero hack to make everything gloss "ish" | all in a NZXT Phantom Big tower (black) connected to a 55" Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y Plasma TV.

Edited 2 times, last by [UR]GrandAndreasK: meh ().

• I got a 42" LG-SL80 200 hertz lcd....its alright for CF but i would like a 50" LG 50PZ950 600 hertz plasma that is on sale now..

That looks great! That small LCD is 23"? How far do you sit from your 42" when gaming? I can imagine using a 32" on a desk as a gaming monitor (probably placed as far back as possible on the table), but for anything larger I think sofa-style gaming might be more appropriate.

• Andreas, I don't think Dag is millionaire :P

Anyway you can't really play in a 50" screen... you will break your neck to follow the opponent's ship (and more counting it can be for hours) even if you are at the other side of the room. Unless your room is as big as the white house's ones. And unless you make the mouse go fast and lose definition, you will also need a big mouse pad.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Anyway you can't really play in a 50" screen... you will break your neck to follow the opponent's ship (and more counting it can be for hours) even if you are at the other side of the room. Unless your room is as big as the white house's ones. And unless you make the mouse go fast and lose definition, you will also need a big mouse pad.

What would be the sweet spot for HDTV size as far as space sims are concerned? I guess 42"/47" for sofa gaming. For desktop gaming I guess that even 32" might be too big (given the resolution 1920x1080).

So far I am leaning towards S-PLS 24" or 27" Samsung A850, but all over the net people complain about backlight bleeding. BenQ GW2750 HM seems to be fast for MVA, but is black crush still an issue with MVA? Would PLS be better for space sims? Both A850 and GW2750 are 8bit panels, so the color quality is way beyond TN screen.

Dag

• How far do you sit from your 42"

about 1 meter away.....and i am already using glasses...... :popcorn:

And dont buy a Samsung...they are shit... my mom has one cos she was to cheap to buy a good one..... 120HZ is laggy and useless in my opinion compared to the other options :rolleyes:

Mike: naw im not so sure about that... when i am 1 meter away the 42 already takes up 60% of my vision so i dont realy have to turn my head...... it is like sitting on the middle row in the Cinema :D

And LCD's is slowly being replaced by LED's so i guess they are cheap today...

Hell my 42 LCD did cost 1.700 euro 5 years ago -_- but the prices have dropped now you can get thet exact same screen for 400 euro new today -.-

and thatcopple years old 50'plasma on sale costs only 1000 euro new.... about a month's pay...but this year's version of that plasma costs 3.300 euro... :huh:

Vishnu i always wanted to try a screen with 3D vision in it... but i guess you need those fancy glasses from Nividia to use it.....

But i hear that the more expensive screens 20"+ that have in-build 3D in the screen where you dont have to use glasses like the 3ds have a a function where you can switch between normal and 3D
    so you have the to option to not ruin your eyes all the time?

Intel i7-4930k| Corsair H80 liquid cooling with 2x Noctuna NF-F12 Industrial | Rog Rampage IV Extreme| Corsair Vengance 32gb 4x8gb| 2x EVGA Classified GTX 980ti SLI| Corsair 1050w silver-80 PCU | about 30TB storage (Seagate Archive) (for p-rat torrents 24/7 when not playing CF offc) | a 240GB Rog Raidr pci-e for Windows 10 Pro upgraded from win7 With Classic Shell to give me the XP/Win7 start menu and a Aero hack to make everything gloss "ish" | all in a NZXT Phantom Big tower (black) connected to a 55" Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y Plasma TV.

Edited 8 times, last by [UR]GrandAndreasK: spell check ().

• LED is just as cheap as LCD these days and you get a far better picture. To me refresh rate is everything, i use a Samsung SyncMaster with 2ms refresh rate, otherwise i notice screen lag with everything on slower monitors. In that list of yours ignore anything over 5ms as it will be like watching everything in slow motion. A quick note on plasmas, nice but they drink more electricity than any other type of monitor or tv, and get very hot as well.

• In that list of yours ignore anything over 5ms as it will be like watching everything in slow motion.

Do you mean "including 5ms"? The only monitor in the list with response time over 5ms is Samsung SyncMaster S27A650D. Actually, BenQ GW2750 HM, also an MVA panel, has 4ms response time. My current monitor has 5ms refresh rate so I would not like to get anything worse than that. I used to game on 8 ms Acer AL2017 before and I do not recall any major difference but I guess that going from 5ms TN to 8ms MVA might be noticable. MVA has better color quality than TN though, anyway BenQ seems to be a better choice of the two MVAs in my list. If NEC 2190UXp wouldn't have high input lag and even slower response time than A650, I would go for it. But 4:3 panels that are still available are not really usable for gaming, so that is why I am going for 24" or 27" widescreen.

A quick note on plasmas, nice but they drink more electricity than any other type of monitor or tv, and get very hot as well.

I like plasmas and I considered getting one as HDTV for sofa gaming, but what got me worried is the fact that 4:3 gaming mode could lead to burn-in and is generally discouraged to use for first 100 hours of HDTV usage. Therefor I would prefer LED HDTVs.

To me refresh rate is everything, i use a Samsung SyncMaster with 2ms refresh rate

Which model do you have? I don't want to go for a monitor smaller than 24" (16:10) or 27" (16:9), and as far as I know 2ms SyncMaster models are 16:9 TN panels (23" and 27"). S27A750/950 models are very interesting, with refresh rate 120Hz as it is real 120Hz, unlike in HDTVs where it's about lag inducing interpolation. A750/950 panel has low input lag, 2ms refresh rate and 120Hz refresh rate, what's not to like? I am not sure about the color shift on 27" TN panel though, is it visible?

Dag

• 5ms is ok, i guess i'm just used to 2ms refresh rate. Not even a contest for sofa gaming, LED all the way. The price of them now is very competitive. I stick by my plasma comment, make sure you have your own power station if you use one those lol. My Samsung is a P2270, had it for a while and is a great monitor.

• Mike: naw im not so sure about that... when i am 1 meter away the 42 already takes up 60% of my vision so i dont realy have to turn my head......

Really ? You can focus on more than half of your vision at once ?
    What glasses are those... lol... nah, they have nothing to see. I don't wanna break mines doing so much exercise.

I imagine how your eyeballs would bounce arround your head when you PvP somebody good :P

• Its not that bad...