Rookies

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by AbrasDevil.

• So, I was talking to Cygnus while on the server, talking about one of the things we used to have new clan recruits do... and I started remembering the other things we'd have rookies do... part training, part initiation. This was also back in late 2003 and 2004, when Freelancer was not only new, but so were most of the players on the servers. It was not uncommon to get players that hadn't played the SP version of FL, let alone had any MP experience whatsoever. Now remember, this is a Vanilla FL server.

Mining Grind
    This was partly to get recruits into the habit of earning their own money, shooting with accuracy and skill, and staying alive during long and boring game periods. We'd do it in Dublin, because mining for gold is just classic. Ok. It was boring, repetitive, and busy work. But it was better than a fraternity initiation of making someone drink whisky from a butt crack. So, you give

Fishing Trip
    When it came to AI races to pick on, Xenos always won out. Sure, they are one of the races everyone (in the game) hates, and if you kill enough of them, your rep gets better with everyone else (except the Zoners, oddly enough). There are others, but Xenos have a base just on the other side if the Colorado NY jump hole. So, you take a recruit out there, and park them in space... and go fishing. You don't run missions, you just kill and kill... I guess you could call it a Xeno hunt... but you didn't go hunting... you just sat there like a fisherman in a boat, and they came to you.... like going fishing. Of course, it was repetitive, but it did to a lot for improving a recruit's ability to dogfight, and stay alive. I know... nothing compares to actually dogfighting with another player... but remember, we were talking about players with little to no FL experience.

Theta Run
    This is always fun and challenging. Here were the rules. Start a new character. Load up on batts and bots... and that's it. No CM, no more guns, no better shield, and no better ship. You, and your Starflier. Your mission? To undock from Manhattan, and not dock ANYWHERE until you reach Freeport 9 in Omicron Theta. you can take whatever path you like, and there was no time limit. You just were not allowed to dock at any bases along the way. If you died, you would (of course) respawn at Manhattan and have to do it again. If you left the game via F1, you failed, and had to come back and do it over. To this day, this one is STILL a challenge. You might think it is easy... and once you know how it can be easier than the first time you try it... but if you have never done it... give it a go.

So... anyone else have any related stories to share?

• you mean like trying to survive the DK's in Sol while you were running BMG from California downwards and Coffee or Sol Artifacts back to NY in order to make some credits?
    Yes. once you jumped into Sol coming from Hyperion, loaded up with Gouvernment Agents List (worth 35mil credits) you just had one thought. "NO DK'S NO DK'S NO DK'S" while heading to the next Jumpgate trying to maneuver "the Brick" into the right position so the jump would not take eternaties.

Or having the dynamic invasions from nomads, DK's or outcasts in certain systems. Where you got kinda screwed if you have parked your char (most likely the wrong one) within one of the related systems and forgot to read about the CF-newsticker BEFORE joining the server :)

So once you undock with a fighter from planet Crossfire, which was not completely equipped yet, the first and last thing you saw was a swarm of blue things coming toward you and rip your nice ship into pieces ;)

• Yeah, I guess those are like things I was talking about... you know, things you had all new characters do when they joined a clan. I mean, that was what *I* was walking about.

Kinda sucks that you have all new clan members in the clans you belong do actually do those things... but hey... times change.

You really put me in my place, that's for sure.

• Abras reminded me, I miss Sol and SoS run... :bsinceresadness:

|DP|Shock · |DP|Shockwave · |DP|Skyfall · |DP|Red.Dwarf

• Abras reminded me, I miss Sol and SoS run... :bsinceresadness:

admit it, you dont miss the run, you just miss the profit out of it :)

But I can run to sol and you can chase me :)

• I miss the profits. :bsinceresadness:
    Not that I need it, I just miss it. :bmuhahaha:

Sure, we'll do something like that. You steal one of those ice shard asteroids from Alaska, and it just happens to be one I like, so I chase you around until you give it back. :bmuhahaha:

|DP|Shock · |DP|Shockwave · |DP|Skyfall · |DP|Red.Dwarf

• how can I steal something from a place, where I have rights of use ?? . .lol
    btw. I like the containing of the one particular ice shard asteroid, when you come into alaska.. right hand side. the very first who almost jumps into your face once you spot it :)
    how about me taking the water out of it and realizing that this water was the only one which did contain your most needed drugs, in order to survive .. lol . .come and get me ;)