Video card (or lack of one)

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Towbot.

• My video card just went the way of the Dodo bird. So now i'm in the market for a new one. my problem is that I'm not sure which one to get.
    I had a Zoltan 9800 gt with 512 mb and it worked just fine, but it's now time to up grade. I don't want to spend too much money,and I still want to stay in the Nvidia family.
    Does anybody have any good reviews (or bad) for a next generation card?

(I was in the middle of a great trade run, too...)

Trading is very competitive and you have to be able to handle getting your butt kicked.

- Paul Tudor Jones -

• "too much money" is an unpredictable variable. Give us an estimate of how much you can spend and we'll present you with options.

• If you want to stick to nVidia and want a reasonably priced graphic card I'd go for the GTX 460 -- costs around € 140-180 in Germany.

don't know the prizes for hardware in Canada but thats roughly $ 195-250 ...

but I'd suggest you check out ATI as well; very cheap and extremely good ones on the market atm

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• the performance of the GTS 450 (around 120€ here) compares with that of an old 9800GTX, so its better than the one you had (plus other advantages of being a new gen card, as DX11 support)

GTX 460, as spiky said is a good option as is not much more expensive but gives you an extra in performance. take a look also to the GTX560, as is intended to replace the 460 and you may find it at a similar price

in ati, the 6900 series is giving a great performance, but i guess you could match the specs of your old card with a 5770, that could cost you about 100-110 €

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

Bunny thinks Ed is not as cool as him

• You can pick up a GTX 275 / GTS 250 both with a gig of ddr5 or ddr3 respectively, are about 100 to 160 USD>

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• If you go for the gtx 460, the 700Mb version is as good to Flreelancer as the 1Gb version, and quite a lot cheaper..

Kind Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 8.1 X64, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz, 16GB 1600 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GXT 460

• Thanx to everybody who replied and gave their much appreciated "two cents". In the end, I took the advice of the majority and went with an Nvidea GTX card. Settled on the GTX 550 ti. She's a sweet little card with 1 GB GDDR5 memory at a great price around $150.00, give or take taxes. Mine came with a $20.00 rebate which makes the deal just that much sweeter.

Again, big thanx to all the "hardcores" who replied. Now I look totally awsome when I get blown to space dust...

Trading is very competitive and you have to be able to handle getting your butt kicked.

- Paul Tudor Jones -

• For Mother's Day I cleaned it BEFORE she asked me...(LOL)

Thanx again, everybody, and Happy Mother's Day... now go clean your room, too...

- Paul Tudor Jones -