mod wont start - Fixed :D

There are 14 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• After i installed the mod (on clean install of FL) the games auto updater thing ran and then let me start the game but there was only sound for the intro movies and it then crashed without a message when it started loading. When i run the game now nothing happens, the games exe just closes itself as soon as its started. I have redownloaded the mod and tried installing it again on clean installes several times with the same results, i have also made shure that MSINET.OCX is registered in case that was responsible. Also these are no save games present to cause this problem.

I am running the following system:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
    AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (yes the antique, and it still works fine for most games)
    2 GB RAM
    GeForce 7600 GS

Freelancer works fine without the mod so Is crossfire just not compatible with windows 7, or have i done something wrong?

Update:
    After installing the game again i had my firewall block the auto update and the game works fine for single player so i am guessing my problems are related to the update :s just to be sure i am going to reinstall the game again to be sure its not a fluke. :)

• What firewall you're using... because no virus detects nothing in CF anymore O.o

Unless you donwloaded CF 1.81 :D as we're now at 1.82.

Still, it's recommended you don't activate Adv Shaders, and maybe bloom neither.... well, even FL works even with a 1.6 GHz PC, at it's top performances on CF 1.8 you need quite a super PC, with a pwoerful graph card of 256 Mb or better. If it's 128 MB or less, use the Compatibility mode too.
    Just so you don't see slideshows or the mouse/ship moving with slow reaction, or slow motion heh.

Anyways, you can fully enjoy it ^^

cheers
    -Michael

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I am just using the built in windows firewall, but i have tried with it turned off with the same result the game stops working when it auto updates. I am guessing that the auto update is corrupting the install in some way :S oh and i am running the latest version of the mod (1.82).

• humm....

newer windowses like vista or such have antivirusses within.... like McAfee or others, which have a secondary analyzing option, which keeps scanning everything... but I don't think this is the situation, because no antivirus does anything to CF anymore.

are you sure you have no kind of virus since before, or router protection which disallows you make automatic updates ?...

have you checked, on properties or firewall, that 'freelancer.exe' has access to the internet ? (it could be blocked for some reason).

sorry there are situations which I don't know as it could have more reasons, or also as I didn't experienced or heard them.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I fixed it :D
    Thanks for the suggestion about the rougher i forgot mine had a built in firewall, i turned it off and the game updated fine and now works :)

i am noticing quite a few graphical and text problems in game but i will try reinstalling and see if they are still there :S (unless the current vertion has problems with jumpholes and stars looking all messed up when in docking/cinematic mode) :/

• There's compatibility about the graphics with lower video cards through the activation( you can find it in the activation list ).

And you can also add your Freelancer to the Exception List of your Firewall if you don't want to turn it off everytime.

• The firewall has no mroe problems with CF atm :P except if it's the kind that asks you everytime you start CF, that if you allow it to access your PC.

• I have this exact same problem
    But i had 1.81 instead of 1.82

Im reinstalling everything to try it with 1.82 now
    Im thinking its just because i had the wrong version since my firewall is configured to let freelancer through

EDIT:
    Yeah it was because i had the wrong version
    It runs now, but the videos at the beginning were still blank

• The videos, well it should be cus of your default video player, which should be the windows media player... but it don't hurt much as you have them on you tube :P

• Now the game causes my computer to crash and shut off
    When it came back on my bios screen was all corrupted and when windows was starting up it blue screened and shut off again before i could read the screen
    I left it off for a while and turned it back on and it started up like normal
    I turned 3d sound off before i started playing
    Im afraid to start it back up again

• The mod now has no issues with AV, so you can keep them "ON" ,

and... what PC do you have ? The CF has very much improved shaders and everything, stuff that many PCs can't hold. But using compatibility mode and turning off extra stuff like adv shaders (this one is important to be on Off even if your PC is fairly good) makes it work like vanilla FL on any PC; with less performance/quality ofc, but it'll work :D

• It seems to have burnt out my graphics card

I was running 2 8800GTs in SLI mode
    Ive been able to play games released this year on high settings without any problems
    Both cards are about 3 years old and have been running pretty much non stop since i got them
    Right now i can only run on 1 card since the other burnt out

• WoW ! :S

Man, at some points, a thing that happens on all modded versions of Freelancer, is when the screen jumps (for your PC only a lil bit I think) and your CPU is at about nearly to 99 %, at that point close and restart the game.... don't let it keep going thinking the PC is too powerful for it.

Well, For your case, I'd recommend deactivating adv shaders, at least.

Even I'm playing FL on a 128 Mb card.... of years ago, I don't run everything at max.... and works perfectly with instant movement response.

The point to see if the performance settings are good enough or too big, is checking after how many (being concentrated a bit) miliseconds the ship moves after you move your mouse, or the mosue cursor on your screen. If you see a noticeable delay, lwoer the performance, if you see it's neearly instant, then great.

And well, All pCs need at least a break once at 3 days, experts say (and it's true), windows start fragmenting itself and everything, and it can start working crazy also with a chance to burn the cpu or something.

• cant imagine that fl runs on 2 cards at all

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!