Get Blue screen of death after FL and CF intro

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• Let me start by saying that I have been playing Freelancer since release and CF 1.7 sinc last year in the SP mode. This old guy ain't got the reaction times you youngsters have so I have stayed off the MP servers. the one itme I went there I got it handed to me before I figured out how to fly the ship I had. :(

now to my current problem w/CF1.81 - I have done all the recommended actions, cleaned, dumped, scrubbed, followed the instructions, created exclusions in my AV (AVG Pro), deactivated the AV before downloading anything and installing, etc. The problem I have is after I launch FLMM and then FL (vanilla), the launcher downloads the files and then I launch SP. FL intro starts and runs, followed by the CF intro. At the point where it should go to the menue so I can exit out of CF and finish up I get a blue screen that askes if I have enough memory and indicates that Windows is shutting down to protect itself. It list the drive for my video card as the oing where it stopped at. My card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 w/64MB mem in a Toshiba Satellite 17.5 Wide Screen running XP SP3. A check of the drive found I have the most current one. Since I have the AV inactive that isn't the problem at this point. (oh, by the way, I asked them about the false positives on CG 1.81 and they told me to send them the files, they will confirm and then work on a fix for AVG.)

Anyone got any ideas? I really am at my wits end, this will be the fourth attempt to set CF 1.81 up. Thank you very much in advance. I do like the SWAT Portal but don't reply much until I get my act together! :)

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• u may try with the lowres compatibility mode of the mod, as 64MB graphics ram doesnt seem to be sufficient to show the high res textures of the CF mod. u can trigger that mode when u activate the mod in FLMM (another clean install needed for that - sorry)...

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• The card is currently set to allow 63 mb for PCI texture, I will bump that up to 64 and see what happens. I was running CF 1.7 with no problems so I take it that 1.81 is a major leap forward. If that doesn't work then I will drop the resolution that is currently 1440 x 900. My image setting is set at Quality, wonder what would happen if I set it for Performance or High Performance?

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• sorry, but the card memory should be rather 256 than only 64. i doubt that lower screen resolution will help, as there still is the problem with the texture size not fitting into the card memory.

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• during beta testing 128mb turned out to be the min if you turn off almost all visual effects and go for the compatibilty mode

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Yeah, I tested how 128 was working smooth on minimal stuff, and lower resolution, with XP, changing the perfoormance to max stucks the card. Luckly I have another PC that has more stuff ^^

the compatibility mode and all settings to off, would hopefully make the game work.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Well, thanks for all the info. I will file away until I can get a video card with more memory or a new Laptop. Looks like it is back to CF 1.7 for me. that ran ok. :( Guess I better get busy putting this back the way it was. Appreciate the help! I'll be around somewhere.

Gearhead10.png

The Personal World Clock

• Well, sry to hear that, still CF 1.7 was also the greatest mod in his times ^^ As now CF 1.81 (soon 1.82) is the greatest :D

Anyway, you'll always have the chace to download and play teh latest version of CF when you have what's needed to play it :D (counting PC performance xD )

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis