Sticky Needed...Basic Steps For Solving The AV vs CF Installation Issue

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by uncleglennie.

• To all forum members...

The AV issue during CF 1.81 download and installation is a serious problem for most newbies. I experienced it so I know their level of frustration. We do need to find a solution, and soon or newbies will evaporate and put the future of SWAT in jeopardy.

Is there a way to collect some of the posts regarding this AV issue and use this info to write a comprehensive sticky with registering as a forum member being the first step (Micheal's good idea from another thread). Then following some basic steps telling newbies what to do, like turning off Deepguard (F-Secure AV program)or heuristic monitoring, and telling them to use the search function once they've registered to gather additional info.

The AV issue continues to rear it's ugly head and we need to fix it.

...just my thoughts...

• how?

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I had once this issue and contacted my AV service provider....and reported it several times as a "false positive". After a few times , the AV guys fixed it in an update. Isn't it possible to do this with other AV packages?

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

• ...F-Secure is my AV provider and they told me to turn off heuristic monitor processing in DeepGuard, then add the Freelancer exe under freelancer mod manager to scanning exceptions list...

They said that CF mod signature mimicks certain virus signatures, I said WTF it's a game mod with a billion users, and that I never had the problem before. They said to change some settings so the AV doesn't auto-remove the exe file each time I use the launcher or initially during install. He said there's nothing they can do about it for now, and I said the user should have ultimate control over their AV program not the other way around. He thanked me for all the info and let me know that other online game launchers have the same AV concerns, and that other AV programs also show false positives.

Talking to these guys via emails was time consuming and useless. Good luck to others with their AV providers. :(

P.S. They're not going to do anything to fix this issue.