Not every mod feature is good for the community

There are 13 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Bond.

• Not every mod feature is good for the community.
    Right/wrong?
    Please discuss

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Correct. If every feature was good for players, we would all have SP rights and capabilities... each player could have the power to ban others and access unbalanced aspects of the mod that were intentionally introduced to give a rule-enforcing minority supremacy over normal players. While a perfect community could manage these powers responsibly and not exploit them, we are not perfect (1).

There are other features that pose a potential threat to gameplay. One example is cloak capability. It should be taken into account how it will affect player interactions with NPCs, how PvP is conducted, and RP. Perhaps it will encourage strategic thinking... or it might lead to complaints that it ruins some aspect of the game. The same can be said for CF 1.8's proposed singularity weapon. Will this tool be used sparingly and enhance gameplay... or will it induce massive amounts of BMG trade by all RP groups and the rapid, wanton destruction of most of the game's strategic systems? A third example is destructible solars. Will players destroy objects sparingly and for good reasons, or will a small handful of people think it's funny to destroy everything they set eyes on and ruin it for everyone?

New features of these kinds are gambits. The potential for gain is huge, but also the risk for unforeseen and catastrophic side-effects. What it all comes down to is this: how much power can your trust the worst player on the server with? It is a matter of personal responsibility. Since honor alone is not enough to compel all players to act responsibly, safeguards and restrictions on powerful features should exist to prevent their abuse (2). When implementing a new feature, the modder should address these potential abuses. As much as many of us love new features, they need to have the proper limitations so that things don't get thrown out of balance.

[size=1](1) Though, for the sake of humoring egos, let us say hypothetically for a moment that are those here who are "quasi-perfect." :P

(2) In my experience most players are good people... it's just that this amounts to little if there are a few corrupted individuals in the mix.[/size]

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• or at the very least should have an heavy draw back to balance it out.

For example the coalition torp needs 100 cargo space to be loaded.

SMG_myric, SMG_RDaneel, SMG_MULTIVAC

Interested in joining SMG? PM me

Those people who think they know everything
    are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

• I just think of cloaking and nearly all direction strafe - that are probably the one most discussed around :)

Originally posted by AwesomeMan
    I think the cloaking should be just a bit visible. Like water or the cloaking in Crysis.

I agree

------

Staff Sergeant KhohnJao

GwaedGiardiau - Atal Amddiffyn Ymateb
    BloodGuard - Preventing Protecting Responding

------

------
    Fuck it all, Fuck this world, Fuck everything that you stand for, Don't belong, Don't exist, Don't give a shit, Don't ever judge me!

I push my fingers into my EYES!!!

• We humans are here on this earth because we constantly adapt. It's the same with CF and the new features, players adapt, invent new strategies, new fighting styles, new RP etc. So it's very interesting what new features will bring to the never ending battle for self-improvement and supremacy.

Rank + Codename: Captain Blade
    Wing: Dragon Wing
    Organization + Leader: DragonCorps - DC_Hägar

• Well actually cloaking was part of the original freelancer, i think it cannot be used for multiplayer. It will be misused no matter in what cases - but i am sure it will. Surely there can be good RP opportunities but mostly cloaking your ship to what? Trespass a system you are not allowed to be in? Hide for your enemies? Is the game not meant to be played exactly this way. Where is the sense in hiding when i actually want to sneak into systems, attack an enemy etc pp. Hide and attack is unfair - due to this it shouldnt be made available for freelancer

FlHook is also a modification but mostly its used to extend the features of a multiplayer mod. Also there its dependent on what modifications are used. I see FlHook or FLAC as good modificatiosn as it allows you to give some more features to the players - features that makes the meanwhile old game interesting. I would appreciate to have more web-based interaction - e.g. to see store content, manage it over the web, transfer clan money etc pp. I think that all can be done with FlHook.

I also would like to have a better and more secure anti cheat. Players today are clever and if it comes to cheating the most will find ways by googeling for it. Ok some dont know how to do this - but meanwhile the majority can use google^^ What bothers me more is that for some only their stats are interesting... And some even dont like to loose. There must be a good balance on those cheater tools. To keep the game still playable but with as many restrictions on cheating as possible without disturbing the game play.

Strafing in several directions: I cannot state very much about it. The more advanced players could probably use it more wisely than noobs. I either dont know what advantages it brings you. When it comes to fighting I more like to stay as simple as possible. I dont like to press thousands of buttons just to avoid being hit. Dunno what diagonal strafing would improve... any ideas?

• I am actually less concerned about cloaking than most. Especially if there's a fuel source (i.e. a commodity that is "used" to run it), it cannot be used indefinitely by a player. They would have to ration its use and therein lies the strategy involved. If you only have a few minutes of cloak available, and the fuel is somewhat hard or expensive to get, it would be hard to exploit it. As for the water-effect and such, I think it should only be fitting in gas clouds. The NPCs in the storyline had a perfect cloak while in open space, and technology has not regressed since that point in the timeline. Destructible universe features only concern me because oftentimes mods use VHF fighters - the space station gunnery and armor is based on the assumption that enemies will be flying much lighter ships. In my opinion, it should be very difficult for a single fighter to destroy an entire space station. All around though, I agree with Blade's point most of all.

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• About strafing, my experience is it doesn't matter if you strafe left-right or use the more rare up-down, as long as u strafe in any direction. And strafing is less important when missiles come to play, because strafing turns on your engine and for missile evasion is better to fly with killed engines. The diagonal strafing is a knife with two edges, for example i'm using so many controls on the keyboard many times during a fight missiles or something else refuses to fire just because i'm holding too many keys at that point in time.

Rank + Codename: Captain Blade
    Wing: Dragon Wing
    Organization + Leader: DragonCorps - DC_Hägar

• about cloak device

i wrote somewhere at Swat about this

for example cloak device but only for trade ships without weps,(like in NSU)
    after all why not for few ships(btw you can't open fire while under cloak effect)
    Anti cloak device (for reveal cloaking ships) or just visible a lil bit, as Awesomeman said.
    i agree with Drakon and Blade

my stomach react [10] I really do not know why this happen, but every time, when i heard that some individuals constantly repeated term, abuse of Hypocrisy ;)...this start happening...again...oh noo...i must...uh i can't...I can not stand it moreee...i must...ahhh[kotz] [kotz] [kotz]

sry ladies and gents, i feel much more better...now

lol