Open Letter from The Starport Admins

There are 48 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• a matter which I expected... but not that soon
    I was already thinking to help there but on the other side the question remains if starport would have done the same for SWAT
    TSP never really showed interest in supporting other communities

your oppinion plz

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• well, that is the place where FLHook coders do meet (occasionally^^). there is also some activity from FL modders. i don't know if it is good if the information in those posts or that place to meet and share information is gone.

on the other hand: i cannot expect others to do a lot of work there, because i never posted, but only read that board.

it seems to be a lot of work involved and asked for - just something for a community member with loads of spare time to be put into it...

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• The Projekt is to big for just own pair of new shoulders and since i am not an FL Coder...

On the other hand it totaly replaced the old TLR for me if i wanted to know something special or more, and it is a real Community Project.

Hopefully they will find a solution - if not we have SWAT and can call us lucky but what will a new Modder do?!

ImO it´s too much worth to let it die :(

Click the image above to visit us.

• new modders can find exactly the same information and stuff at SWAT
    but so far we decided not to make everything we have public in the same way we have decided not to aim for high google rankings with SWAT

every modder which asked for help got it here at SWAT

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• yeah well indeed, i think we were somehow got disappointed by the recently deeds their, OP has lost the trust in TSP (as far as i think) thatswhy you let removed the Freelancer Bar Entries as far as I know.

So on one hand i am not very amused to help them out when we obviously have our own projects. Unless other members of the FL Community dont learn to help as well. Than i think TSP will have to suffer under the same problems like anyone else has. And at this point i remain here at SWAT.
    On the other hand it would be a loss if they can not survive and have to close their site... But this is the same with every other big FL community out there.

My two eurocents ;)

edit: was browsing TSP meanwhile and found Destructible Universe???? click here

• I am at an impasse with this letter from Starport.

I have been Op's friend for a long time and in many cases I have watched him take time away from SWAT and CF in order to assist other portals, mods etc. in an effort to keep the FL game alive.

In return what have we received? Server hacks? Forum attacks? Trolls in game? The same people who asked for help in many cases, were the ones doing us damage when we weren't looking.

I say we welcome the modders from Starport to join us here if Starport fails and welcome the admins too, but it's time to take care of our home.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• I have to agree with Gunny on that. There a LOT of people desperately waiting for CF 1.8 (Myself included) as well as many other Swat projects, and if modders here keep going to other portals to help them only to get backstabbed again for our help, then 1.8 will never get finished. As Gunny stated, its time we take care of our home.

• thx for the input
    I think TSP has some serious structural problems
    I once talked about this with one of the admins but nothing really was done
    eventhough they might find people willing to help I highly doubt that those will stay active more than a few weeks and TSP will fall back to its old probs again

everything over there is a bit too chaotic and that has nothing to do with the lack of time that the admins have
    I also dont really have much time and SWAT and its projects are way more complex than TSP... but still its going on... getting more and more popular

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• What? You was thinking to involve yourself more at TSP?

No, you are out of any question please - we want you to be here (for the next year[SIZE=3]s[/SIZE]), not somewhere else!

Click the image above to visit us.

• I'm usually a pretty big fan of communities cooperating with one another to work on things, but I tend to agree with where the thread is going here. Not really involved enough to understand why, so perhaps I am wrong, but it appears as though in the last year FL has gotten to the point where its base is simply not large enough to keep doing this. If they are stuggling with organization, lack of people on staff, and activity from the community my first impression is that TSP has lost its viability. While I do wish it well, this problem will not go away by sending a couple of our brightest minds to assist them. It would just weaken SWAT itself, which appears to be working prudently to diversify the kinds of games it covers and planning for the long-term. If OP is still planning next year to be done, people here have a lot to figure out about our own future before trying to help fellow communities. Besides, OP already does more than what is due for Freelancer. The worst thing that could happen for him is ending up with too much to work and getting burnt out from it. If a project isn't going to make you feel proud and satisfied by completion m8, don't do it.

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• I recently read your post @ TSP, OP. It well written and reflect my feelings as well.
    I think TSP was growing tooooooo fast - and in that period they enjoyed it instead of making adjustments (structural nature). Now they have problems and seems to be blinded.

I think they are not going to close the site - but they are lacking of ideas to improve something to have the same growing they had during the last two years.

Anyway thx for sharing your thoughts there, i was awaiting them there. I was nearly to post as well. But that maybe could has been misunderstood.

• I believe not to say something is a mistake.
    There are problems and if nobody does say something nothing can be done to change the situation.

Truth often hurts... but sometimes pain is good for healing.

EDIT:
    Based on the latest replies they have learned nothing and will continue their way.
    No surprise of that since many members which have absolutly no idea what it means to run such big communities present the situation like everything would be shiny.

I give TSP a few months before the next troubles appear and max 1 year before those get too big to handle them.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Well now SWAT (ok mainly me) got target of a nice flamewar on that thread

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Can ya plz post a linkie?

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

Being a Cynic isn't that bad. Either I'm right or I am pleasantly surprised.

My Homepage

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature
    (" )_(" ) to help him multiply, because that's what bunnies do.

• signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

Posted by chips at the starport thread that OP posted

@ Swat... I can't help but point out your hypocrisy. I don't personally agree with your points at all - if you want a "community", you have to provide a range of services otherwise they'll only visit your site for the one service you provide, and will not interact... but I will make some points.

services that Swat supply if im correct?

1>support a large bunch of games other than freelancer
    2>offer an extremely awesome download data base
    3>great forums with alot of different topics
    4>News
    5>and chat
    6>greatly moderated
    7>great almost hostile free zone
    8>now has Save FL initiative
    9>and offers help to other modders alike
    10> a great resource of information

:P

• I have just read that thread over there and the stupidity amazes me. Never before I have seen such a big bunch of big mouths and ignorants.

I was a long term member of the old TLR and when it broke down I decided not to follow the other modders because I remembered all the trouble they have caused. Meanwhile I can say that this was a very good decision. But now I have the incredible strong feeling to go over there and tell them my opinion.

I need to calm down now.

• good idea - calm down

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• no! - why? - start a flame post /thread there ;) They wanted to have activity in their forums ... muahaha ... flame posts rises activity^^