Uncertainty... RL/CF? Is there a difference?

There are 31 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• Considering so many have claimed to have strictly differed RL/CF gaming, most of them are taking the in-game words for granted and rather too damn seriously.
    Maybe those ppl should visit a threrapist or I dont know... whatever to get some help (mental).
    So, my point is, if I tell that , for example, Crysis is an ass... (random pick!), ofc that does have a certain gravity... but surely not as if I was standing near you and told you you was a jackass.
    I mean, in game insulting has become an every-day acitivty in practically every server, web,... everywhere.
    Im not saying this is good either, just telling you not to take it too seriously.

• Well Champ, the difference between RL and CF is... If you were to insult people in RL like you do in CF, you would most likely lose some teeth ;)

• I'm of the opinion that insulting someone ingame or in real life is the same insult and should be treated the same way. Others do it too is not a reason or an excuse.

You are not playing against/with characters you are playing against/with people. And since your are playing in a small community (not unlike a small town) you have to expect you will be remembered by the one you insult and you will see them again.

Insult to the character the person is playing is par for the course, insult to the person are never OK.

Maybe I'm an idealist but it's the way I behave and the way I expect others to behave toward me.

SMG_myric, SMG_RDaneel, SMG_MULTIVAC

Interested in joining SMG? PM me

Those people who think they know everything
    are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

• I´m with Burro and Myric here, treat others with the respect you want to be treaten with. No matter of the enviroment.

Click the image above to visit us.

• Ya - surely there is a line drawn between what is in-game and what is personal, but the easiest way to avoid conflict is simply to show your adversaries and enemies the same sort of respect you'd show towards your friends.

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• Champ you are wrong with your statement. Point is - an insult is an insult. Doesn't matter from whom it came and by what situation.

Its the same in RL: If all drives too fast on the road is no free bill for me to do the same. If cops are catching me - then i have to pay. I cannot say - hey look the others drive too fast as well.
    Thats not working. And this will not work here too!

And besides - you would wonder how much criminal activities occur in the www. Its not any longer just virtual by the mean everything is virtual. We are no NPCs m8. We are human beings.

I am not sure where you live and how the people behave there - but i guess you had a normal childhood and you are grown under normal conditions where your learned to behave and treat others kindly. You wrote in the other thread that you are kind - so behave that way and others would treat the same. Its simple - I am convinced you can do so too.

• I do have to agree with Champ on ONE issue, which he made on another thread. Why is everyone forced to be nice? :D You know back in the day when us old guard were on CF it was a constant melee' and cops and pirates DID NOT get along at all.......the rp was intense and sometimes ugly, but at the end of the day we all had fun.

Respectful, Yes.............nice, no.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• It's not about being nice it's about being respectful, I agree Gunny. But personal insult are nether respectful or nice. Theres a big difference between in character talk and personal attack.

For example:
    You will die for this Pie rat. There wont be enough left for identify you! is OK and in character and is welcome

Myric you are a stupid jack ass.(fictitious example) is out of character and a personal attack and should not be seen on the server

SMG_myric, SMG_RDaneel, SMG_MULTIVAC

Interested in joining SMG? PM me

Those people who think they know everything
    are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

• As far it concerns the www ( no matter if in any games with chat possibility or just chat-rooms) much people do think, they can behave however they want. Cause the 'opponent' is not real, they are just bits and bytes. As soon they got attacked (verbal or ingame) by another one, they take it serious, because they can't handle feedback, revenge or any echos of any kind's.

At example. There was a big chat called lycos-chat. A place where people are supposed to take a 'break' from real life and have some fun with others. One day, I got threaten by someone, who thought he owns the world and can behave like an elephant in a porcellan store.
    I just told him, 'one day you will get what you deserve' -- He laughed.
    Then there was a big chatter meeting in Berlin, I went to, to meet the people I've chatted so long with. Just to learn to know them for real, and learn to know the persons behind the keyboard. To have some fun together as human beings. (you know what I mean)

I figured who this guy, (the elephant behaviour) was, and went to him. He had a discussion with some dudes already, cause of his behaviour in chat.
    I just faced him and knocked him right on his forehead. (with the sentence. 'The bits and bytes just became real, to pay you. And for further notice, think twice about your activities in the web)

Result ~ He was never seen with the known name in that chat again.

What I wanted to say is.
    People who think they can do whatever they want, cause the www is nothing real, will get their lessons sooner or later, no matter in what way.
    If they can't make differences between fun (and such behaviour) and threating or attacking people personally, they should go back to school and take some lessons about 'how to behave in my future life'

Everything you do, comes back, one day. And everything you give you will get back somehow.

Having a different ingame-behaviour (according to the game you play) is fine, as long you don't attack your opponent personally, cause he did beat you. Make a different between games you play, and the real life you live. So you will also experience the difference between games and real life.

Of course, there are much exeptions out there, who will never get it. And those dudes will always take things personally, whatever happens to them.
    But those dudes will also stay very lonely in a long time distance. Because the fan's they get, because of their behaviour will become tired of that, sooner or later.

Have fun and just give, what you wanna get back. Because you will get it back. (No matter in which way)

Originally posted by Gunny
    I do have to agree with Champ on ONE issue, which he made on another thread. Why is everyone forced to be nice? :D You know back in the day when us old guard were on CF it was a constant melee' and cops and pirates DID NOT get along at all.......the rp was intense and sometimes ugly, but at the end of the day we all had fun.

Respectful, Yes.............nice, no.

That was the whole point of posting all this crap here of whic even i know 90% is not true :D
    1 guy figuring out and making a good conclusion is worth all that writing.

Hate everyone's guts, everyone's on server...
    And Ill do my best to make your life a living hell wherever possible!!

Time place armaments ? :D

Live another day

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

Originally posted by Champ
    Crysis is an ass... (random pick!), ofc that does have a certain gravity... but surely not as if I was standing near you and told you you was a jackass.

I suggest you to watch your mouth because I really hate insults

• Noone don`t like insults- in RL, in CF. Example --"random pick"-- if some little teen guy with big mouth flaming insults on me or on my girl in RL, I warn him. If he gained this, I use my gun and push it in his balls- may be then he`ll cooled down. In CF I could use only [550] [104] with a loudy sounds of PPC or "green blaming" of DKAs...

CF chars - Maxbur and derivatives
    Roleplay on server: Merc/Smuggler
    You can hire me for all sort of job: dirty and not so - but I`ll make it clean. It will cost you :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    Einstein

• If someone's insulting me in the RL, his face would be a bit ugly btw, and in CF , well.. you know what would happen^^

• Champ wanted to write the truth: Crysis is an ace - he just made a typo ;)

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• Personally I believe that I could have fun without insulting anyone.
    Lets just look at it the civilized way.
    There are people here who say they do not want to be insulted by anyone, especially not if
    that person is out of the reach of their fists.
    And there are some people who think that insulting is some basic aspect of the RP.
    But shouldnt it be possible to know your opponent good enough to know how far you can go?
    I mean this community is not that large and most have been playing here for years.

Also, you can call a pirate a one eyed bastard, which I would consider a RP based insult. But
    calling someone a retard or asshole takes it all to a whole new level. I would aviod that.
    Insult a certain faction if you feel like you have to but just dont insult someone as a person.

Anyway insults always make me think of immature kiddies playing CounterStrike :D
    Because in how far are you better if all you do different is claiming that it is all RP.

Instead of using the well known phrases like pirate scum or rats just be creative.

• Maxbur, you like to settle things with a gun? Seriously someday you might come meet someone who will retaliate 10 fold m8.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• Max, Gunny is giving very good advise. Guns = retaliation or prison, sometimes both.

It is always better to use your mind to get even, than a weapon.

Example: give the offender a free beer that you have pissed in :D

Stay safe and fly strong m8 ;)