Physics?

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Nuclear_Winter.

• Much is made of the physics of objects & ships in games. then why do we hear explosions & screams in space?
    remember
    In space no one can hear you scream!

(I know it would be boring without them)

When you empty the rubbish some of it comes out on top

• You don`t hear the screams & explosions in space, you hear them over your comms channels.

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

Being a Cynic isn't that bad. Either I'm right or I am pleasantly surprised.

My Homepage

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature
    (" )_(" ) to help him multiply, because that's what bunnies do.

• mmm, if you find any other situation in which rl physics and fl conflict and you wonder why... then the answer is:

"a wizard did it"

:D:D:D

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

Bunny thinks Ed is not as cool as him

• you can always replace the corresponded sound files with empty ones for more.. "realism"

But RogueJet is right^^ Its the com

• How come them ships explode in the first place, since there ain't no oxygen to keep an explosion going???

• no this about comm can't be true, unless i'm not seeing a part of the picture...

when a ship blows out in space, there are no soundwaves at all sent around, so even if you're 2 feet away from the explosion you can't hear a thing. neither can your comm because it picks up electromagnetic waves that are created by another comm system by what's called modulating a digital signal (a stream of 1s and 0s) into a carrier wave. but when a ship blows up, so does it comm system, so it can't possibly transmit the sound of the explosion. it's a bit like those videos obtained from rockets fired by americans in iraq that you can see in the news and on films, where you see the rocket closing in on it's target, and then in the moment of impact there is only static. that's exactly what you would hear over the comm, just a "white noise"

@lucy: i think there's oxygen in the cockpit and and probably a pressurized tank somewhere to keep the engines running. also explosions in general don't need oxygen, only those which explode as big fireballs do :D

(god i'm such a geek sometimes :P)

• and that brings back the wizard theory...

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

Bunny thinks Ed is not as cool as him

Originally posted by lucy in the sky
    How come them ships explode in the first place, since there ain't no oxygen to keep an explosion going???

must be all the ammunition and power gen.

• maybe MAYBE it's not a wizard (*gasp*)

what if the on-board computer calculates the distance of the explosion, in which direction it is, how strong it is, you know lots of parameters and then creates an artificial sound of what the explosion would sound like in normal atmosphere, to help you navigate a bit and so...

edit: and then we all turn off the 3D sound and all explosions sound the same :P