The Custom SUR

There are 39 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Fire_Wolf_br.

• I'm not sure how many of you (if any besides OP) have followed my delving into ship stuff, but I'm reworking several of PantherX's ships for my mod and for the community as a whole. So far, I've completed only most of the Hellhound, specifically, I have destructable components and a custom wireframe. The only remaining obstacle is the creation of a custom SUR. Now, I have both SUR exporters, but I've been told 1.2 is s***, so I don't use it. I have my simple SUR model created, though I don't know if it's assembled correctly. Bejaymac was working on a large tutorial when TLR originally went down last year that dealt with custom SURs. I suppose that it's too much to ask if somebody nabbed it before the forums went down or if we have someone with eidetic memory who saw it, but if so, please share. Otherwise, I was hoping that some people here might know a thing or two on the topic. BJ is, at the moment, unreachable, though I continue to try to sway him back to Freelancer. (My, some of these smilies are violent) So, anybody able to shed some light on this?

MK

[GLOW=green]"If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be unconquerable." -Star Trek: Birth of the Federation[/GLOW]

• again i need to say that i am not a big fan of sur tutorials since again i believe the 3-4 tutorials i have seen so far are wrong

the best tutorial ive seen so far was from argh eventhough he made a small mistake which simply made the create a big more complicated than neccessary

the steps for the creation of a sur are pretty simple

1. create a sur model based on convex objects (boxes, cylinders, spheres)
    the object does not have to fit the original ship 100% ... make it as simple as possible... it does not matter if the shapes do not fit 100% since in case of fighters the ships are too small to notice a difference between sur and cmp
    also make sure that the objects dont get regrouped in ms3d
    2. export the sur (to my knowledge both sur exporters are working fine)
    make sure you export with size 1 (and if i remember right make sure it has a shield bubble -> i dont have ms3d installed atm but i remember that this is important)
    3. now you can view the sur in hardcmp (press S) and can check if it really fits to your ship including the shield bubble
    4. the ship has now a sur but ingame it wont work yet
    open flmodeltool , open the cmp and open the sur
    now resize the sur matching the size of the cmp (do that 2 times -> in some cases the resize does not work with the 1st try)
    5. save the sur and play - coz now it is working

i created several hundred surs and the advantage of this method is that it is very fast (i need about 10-15mins to create a sur) and the sur file is very slim which reduces lag on the server
    tutorials about complex surs and the sur splicer usually create surs which cause lag (argh did know that and we both did warn the other modders about that already but as usual most are not listening)

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• No dice, I'm not getting any collision detection. This would mean that I'm doing something wrong... but what?

MK

[GLOW=green]"If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be unconquerable." -Star Trek: Birth of the Federation[/GLOW]

• dunno but thats how i remember i have done the other surs for my mod
    i better install ms3d again and re-check if the settings are ok this way when i have some more time

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• *remembering about the Amazonian BS sur*

What was the prob with it OP? Can't remember right now =P

Creator of the SWAT Mod: Freelancer: Expanded Universe - currently halted due to university activities, but you can help if you want :D

Go to the FL:EU's forums

Also click here...

Pff, I'm not afk. I'm just lurking, coz I don't have even time to post, think about the time I have to mod >.<

[instagib] [woot] [instagib]

• the prob you had with the amazonian ship was that you regrouped everything

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• hmmm... but the bs just had the root, it didn't another collision group...

Creator of the SWAT Mod: Freelancer: Expanded Universe - currently halted due to university activities, but you can help if you want :D

Go to the FL:EU's forums

Also click here...

Pff, I'm not afk. I'm just lurking, coz I don't have even time to post, think about the time I have to mod >.<

[instagib] [woot] [instagib]

• I tried giving your method a shot OP. I must be doing something wrong too.

When making the SUR parts in milkshape I left each primitive (box, cylinder, ect.) in its own group. And resized the SUR using FLmodel tool as you stated

I can get the SUR to show up in HardCMP... but ingame, like mknote, I have no collision or hit detection. :(

I tried different setting combinations with no luck. Hopefully you can refigure this out. I'd much prefer your method over my current method, b/c the SURSplicer method is too time consuming, tedious and basically a big pain in the rear. [7]

• ill do some tests tomorrow and post the results
    it wasnt complicated but i didnt do it for about 1 year meanwhile

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• ok i tried to build a new sur and noticed that i left out a few steps on the tutorial
    now the ms3d model looks like it needs to look like before it can exported... so up to that point i got everything togeter
    but after the exporting something needs to be done with the surs in order to get them work and i need find my notes about sur creation now

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• does this help at all its from resize mk2,I have the prog if you want it.

From the sound of your problem I think it may answer it.

• nope the resizer is not worth anything if you want to create custom surs

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I thought that this part may be relevant

There is a problem when you try to use the surface from any such ship with a custom ship; the hit boxes for the wings (or fins, or whatever) will not be detected. This is so because said hit boxes specifically correspond to certain parts of the model contained in the .cmp file; in particular, the names of the parts in the .cmp file exactly match the names of the corresponding parts in the .sur file. When the game sees that there are no parts in the .cmp file that match the name of some part in the .sur file, the hit box for that particular part will simply be ignored. Since most custom ships contain only a single part with the name Root, only those parts in the .sur file with the name Root will be recognized.

There may be some help here
    http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=53423

• I've toyed around with this method, but cant seem to get hit detection. :( I hope you remember the missing step. I'd very much like to use this method and be done with the SUR Splicer all together.

• i have to remember the step... i still have 100 new ships for cf1.8 which need to be done lol

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• tried both
    could be that the sur model ive used contained a concave part since i moved the vertices of a cylinder manually (at least this could be the error source - dunno yet)

i will need to re-do the model when ive a few mins

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• then lets see what igis has to say

... well no thats the sur splicer tutorial...exactly what we dont want to do ^^

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,