The Custom SUR

There are 39 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Fire_Wolf_br.

• Yeah that was one of my first experiments into SURs. That method definitely works (thats why I wrote that tut), I've done 80+ surs that way, but this method (Op's) has the potential to save ALOT of time and is generally less painful.

• As posted by Startracker

I am still farting about and havent got this far yet.

• i am sure that i have never done this before

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• It...

It...

It...

...works.

[SIZE=4]IT WORKS!!![/SIZE]

WOOHOO!

Now, there are a few areas that lack hit detection, but I have a few theories on how to fix that. Testing will commence presently.

It bloody works, though.

MK

*edit*

No dice, I can't get the extrimeties to work. There also seems to be a problem is destroying the SUR if a part is destroyed. Still, this is a giant leap foward.

[GLOW=green]"If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be unconquerable." -Star Trek: Birth of the Federation[/GLOW]

• how you did it?
    maybe including the missing steps would solve the final probs

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I edited my post above before I saw yours, OP, so it has some (bad-ish) news.

Basically, I created a SUR model around the Milkshape model. Nothing really spectacular, and I'm sure you can do the steps. Now, since I like multiple components, all of my ships have those. I opened mine in UTF, and here's a sample of the nodes:

-VMeshLibrary
    -Cmpd
    -MainHull_lod1.3db
    -LeftForeWing_lod1.3db
    -RightForeWing_lod1.3db

And so on.

Wavey's quotation of Startracker led me to my discovery. I regrouped my SUR into 7 groups (there are 7 components in my ship, though above I only put 3 to demonstrate) and renamed them to how they are named in the CMP, minus the .3db part. I.E.:

MainHull_lod1
    LeftForeWing_lod1

And so on. I then did the multistep resize with FLModelTool (first scale all to 1, scenery, don't make part of root, followed by automatic, ship/station, and I still didn't make it part of the root even though it says too; works fine either way, I imagine) and ploped it in.

Well, I'm off to put in my final ship into my mod. Not that I have a lot, and only these last two required some actual modeling on my part, but meh.

MK

[GLOW=green]"If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be unconquerable." -Star Trek: Birth of the Federation[/GLOW]

• I included the Root in the 7.

MainHull_lod1 (Root)
    LeftForeWing_lod1
    RightForeWing_lod1
    LeftRearWing_lod1
    RightRearWing_lod1
    LeftEngine01_lod1
    RightEngine01_lod1

Those are my seven.

MK

• i tried all possible settings with the exporter already but i am sure that i used only the first setting before

and it never required such groups.... but i also never wanted to build multipart surs due to gameplay reaons

Edit: ok i finally can say that a made a mistake while modeling
    this might be the final problem... Ill recreate the sur model as soon im back home

Edit2: u know what?.... i got it WORKING ^^
    damn im good
    Ill post a tutorial later this evening

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• as base for this tutorial i take firewolfs amazonian battleship

1. create a sur model based on convex objects (boxes, cylinders, spheres)
    the object does not have to fit the original ship 100% ... make it as simple as possible... it does not matter if the shapes do not fit 100% since in case of fighters the ships are too small to notice a difference between sur and cmp
    also make sure that the objects dont get regrouped in ms3d
    dont use materials
    if you create concave objects the sur wont work
    2. rename all groups (Group01, Group02, Group03, ...) -> I actually do this for a better reference

3. select all groups
    4. use "weld together"

5. export the model as .3ds
    6. open the .3ds model in lithunrap

7. "optimize the model" -> under tools (full optimization)
    8. save it back to .3ds
    9. open a "new" ms3d file
    10. import the .3ds (now you will notice that the model is displayed black -> depends on your ms3d version)

(the steps with the unweld and the 3ds are needed in order to remove all unneccessary info from the sur model (such as texture information or double vertices) since the sur has to be 100% clean before it can get exportet
    11. not its time to export the sur (i used the sur exporter 1.1 for this example but 1.2 should also work)
    make sure you export with size 1 (and if i remember right make sure it has a shield bubble -> i dont have ms3d installed atm but i remember that this is important)
    in this pic you can see which settings ive used:

12. now you can view the sur in hardcmp (press S) and can check if it really fits to your ship including the shield bubble
    13. the ship has now a sur but ingame it wont work yet
    open flmodeltool , open the cmp and open the sur
    14. now resize the sur matching the size of the cmp (do that 2 times -> in some cases the resize does not work with the 1st try)
    ATTENTION: when you resize it then select "scenery"
    (this step does not only resize the sur, it does also rename vmesh groups and that is required to make the sur work)
    15. save the sur and play - coz now it is working

and finally the battleship sur for firewolf
    http://www.swat-portal.com/por…ges/tut/am_battleship.sur

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Nice:)
    I have been playing with Rag and it seems that the sur is almost below the ship,its like the rag is sitting on an egg.
    Is there a reason why it is like that?

• no the sur fits perfect on that ship
    the only thing below the ship is the hpmount

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• All right, that's helped. I get full hit detection everywhere on the ship. Two problems, though:

1. My shield bubble seems to remain even if my shield isn't attached 8o. This is... annoying, because the shield bubble is so freaking huge that, when I try to exit the docking bay, I bump into it. The shield bubble doesn't seem to exist on wrecks though, meaning it's probably an INI deal, rather than a problem with the SUR.

2. This, however, is definitely a SUR problem. I know, OP, that you don't like multiple components (for admittedly valid reasons). I, however, do, yet the SUR doesn't seem to destroy itself when the part goes. Granted, I've been exporting the SUR as a single group, but when I export it as multiple groups, I don't get hit detection everywhere. X(

So, I'm looking for ways to get around/solve these two problems. Any help would be appreciated.

MK

• 1. never had this problem

2. i dont have that much experience with sur creation of multiple parts but it should work similar to single part ships... when you have exported it with the various groups you need to play around with flmodeltool
    very likely you need to uncheck the "make all components part of the hull" or you could try to resize it as weapon (since those have to have seperated sur groups in order to be able to move -> turrets)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• indeed that could work

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Oh man, this is Argh's method of making SURs using Lithium Unwrap. Yeah this works and is less tedious than the SURsplicer method.

@ OP -
    Have you tried using the Shrink Wrap exporter option? I could of swore it works (its been some time since Ive used this method). If I get time tonite Ill give it a shot.

Originally posted by mknote
    1. My shield bubble seems to remain even if my shield isn't attached 8o. This is... annoying, because the shield bubble is so freaking huge that, when I try to exit the docking bay, I bump into it. The shield bubble doesn't seem to exist on wrecks though, meaning it's probably an INI deal, rather than a problem with the SUR.

Aye, this is an issue with using the Shield Bubble exporter option. I cant recall offhand if Argh's method works using Shrinkwrap, hence my previous comment to OP. I've however used shrinkwrap with good success using other methods (like that tutorial I wrote, which was posted on the discovery forums). All of the other SUR's I made didnt use the a shield bubble b/c FL by default will use the hull sur as the shield bubble if there isnt a shield_link entry in the shiparch.ini or a big shield bubble on your SUR. I have a few examples for you to look at if you want... PM me if you want my MSN addy.

• it is similar to arghs method but different at some points
    (it requires less work)

the shield size can be changed via hex edit if i remember right
    if you use shrink wrap you might end up with absolutly no shield

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I followed what Startrader's tutorial said, and indeed the problem of disappearing components was solved. Unfortunatly, I was right back to square one on getting 100% hit detection.

I have two SUR files that I would consider working. Unfortunatly, neither are 100% working. One will have all parts that have been destroyed have their SURs disappear, but will have areas of no hit detection. The other will have hit detection everywhere on the ship, but a component's SUR section will remain even if that part has been destroyed. The only difference between the two is that I exported the first one in parts, while the second one was exported as a single group. I'll try hex editing them and get back to everyone, but I hope that there are some thoughts posted before then.

MK

• ty m8 for my sur :D

and, b4 someone starts arguing here, the b-ship is from XTS and I have the needed permissions. that's it ^^

Creator of the SWAT Mod: Freelancer: Expanded Universe - currently halted due to university activities, but you can help if you want :D

Go to the FL:EU's forums

Also click here...

Pff, I'm not afk. I'm just lurking, coz I don't have even time to post, think about the time I have to mod >.<

[instagib] [woot] [instagib]