News categories list

Aug

Aug

Sep

beyond_forsaken_header_frontpage_1.jpg?cv=3983621215&av=2172924919

Aug 28, 2018 - Cozmo

In just mere days, Destiny 2: Forsaken will arrive, ushering in a host of new experiences and major upgrades aimed at transforming nearly every aspect of the game. We’ve already spoken a lot about Forsaken’s key features and updates, but we wanted to take a moment prior to launch to provide you with some additional details about what you can expect beyond day one. To tee up that conversation, we’ve recruited a handful of developers to take you through our plans, from the 2.0 update that went live today, through our current plans for seasons and the annual pass.

Seasons of Change

Destiny 2: Forsaken kicks off the Season of the Outlaw. Once you’ve completed the campaign, hunted down the Barons, secured some of your favorite new weapons, and explored the new worlds and the challenges that await, you can expect to see us continue updating the game with new activities and rewards. We’ve also hidden away many surprises for you to discover, and the information

Apr

Mar

Feb

Jan

Dec

Nov

Oct

Sep

May

Apr

Aug

Aug

Nov

The

WC1 sprite refresh

that Unnamed Character, Goliath and Howard Day are working on was a big hit last month, so here's a closer look at one of the stars. These are the full 1024x1024 frame shots used for the upgraded Bengal. They're higher res than the upgraded assets in engine so you can really get a good look. It's been more than a

decade

since Howard first debuted this model, and it still holds up amazingly well. This iteration also has some updated light effects that really make it pop. These are just six of the 62 frames that make up a WC1 ship - you can find the rest at the

CIC Forums

howiebengal41t.jpghowiebengal36t.jpghowiebengal37t.jpghowiebengal38t.jpghowiebengal39t.jpghowiebengal40t.jpg

Re-renders with some material tweaks for goodness

Nov

The Vega Sector fleet continues to grow.

DefianceIndustries

has turned his attention to the Tiger's Claw, and he's taking an interesting perspective on it. The goal is to merge some of the differences between the in-game sprite and the line art from Claw Marks. There are lots of different versions of the Tiger's Claw that show up here and there, and each has its own interesting aspects, so this is pretty cool to see!

defiance_render271t.jpgdefiance_render272t.jpgdefiance_render270t.jpg

The WC1 parade continues. Line-art accurate Bengal for all. You'll notice several differences between the line art and the final Sprite model. The three biggest ones I found are the tapering at the bow is more pronounced, There are only 5 engines instead of 6, and overall the vessel isn't very tall, it's more squat than the final version. But, I kinda dig the '80s ball style turrets and the more detailed stern. I'll texture it when time permits.

Jun

Phil's Computer Lab is a great YouTube channel focused on reviewing older tech. A while back he made a handful of tweak guides for Wing Commanders 1-3 and Privateer. In the clips below, he's also set up a series of reference videos to demonstrate how the original Wing Commander would be expected to run on actual 386 hardware: SX25, DX25, DX33 and DX40 machines. He lays out the other major components and BIOS settings and then lets them go!

These would have been common mid to higher end systems when the game was new, so prospective players can get a sense of what the developers' intended performance levels were. Unlike most of the series, the original WC did not come with a frame rate limiter that normalized play as computers got faster. A great many slowdown utilities and emulators have been implemented since, but they don't all work perfectly. It can sometimes be tricky to calibrate the right

Jun

Today dczanik shared a very slick interpretation of young Angel. The design started as a 3D model, but he finally turned it into a more artsy graphic. Let him know what you think at the CIC Forums!

wc_reimagined12t.jpg

Hey guys! I did a paint over a 3D model I sculpted years ago. It's of a young Angel. Originally I was going to make a 3D model of her WC1 character, but liked the look of a younger Angel. I thought you would enjoy it. Hope you like it! Here's the original model:

wc_reimagined13t.jpg

It was used for Howard Day's Wing Leader characters. But I really wanted to finish it in the way I wanted it to look so I finally got around to finishing it. And I made a 16 bit look for those that prefer the old pixel graphics:

wc_reimagined14t.gifHere's a few original shots to compare: WC1, Claw Marks, Super Famicon Claw Marks and WC2.

wc_reimagined15t.jpgwc_reimagined18t.jpgwc_reimagined16t.jpgwc_reimagined17t.jpg

Aug

Shot97 has snapped a fun preview from a 1990 edition of Dragon Magazine. At this point in time, the game was still sporting its Wingleader title after Squadron was nixed due to potential copyright concerns. Ultimately Wing Commander was selected over all. I love how the Kilrathi are called "vicious militarists" and the Friend or Foe missile is held up as a "deadly" weapon. And thirty years later, we're still trying to make ray tracing a thing!

wingleaderlogot.gifdragon_magazine_wingleadert.jpg

Also coming from Origin is Wingleader. Mankind is locked in a deadly war with the Kilrathi in the 27th century. Battling these vicious militarists are the daring pilots of the Terran Confederation. With his faithful wingman flying at his side, the fearless Wingleader battles with Kilrathi aces in heated deep-space dogfights. The game features Panaview, 3-D technology that employs highly detailed, ray-traced, bit-mapped images modeled in 256 VGA colors.