News categories list

Jan

wcso_shipupgrade238t.jpgWith 2022 now firmly in the rear view mirror, our last task is to conduct the annual CIC Fan Project of the Year contest! I hesitate to frame it as a competition, since everyone who contributed to these efforts and more are really all working to improve the fan community together. Nevertheless, we like doing this to recognize a small handful of amazing endeavors that brightened the landscape over the past year. Read up on the nominees below, and then scroll down to vote!

• Challenge Coins - ZOmegaZ’s successful 2021 crowdfunding campaign resulted in these beautiful trinkets in 2022! He took fan feedback to balance the sizes of the ships in the design and the results turned out great.
    • elend’s Physical Models - elend is a master craftsman and his recently completed Dralthi model is high professional grade art. It belongs in a museum!
    • Emulation Technology - Whether getting DOS games to run on Linux, Mac WC

Jan

Jan

Jan

Today we've got a couple of examples that show off Mac's latest work in progress. We see a gorgeous short animation of the Operation Back Lash fleet assembling, which hints at some of the epic scenes to come. There's also a preliminary shot of the Waterloo class cruiser, which is coming together beautifully. It's such a sharp design!

Many, Many, Many MANY genuine thanks to @Hangar_B for lending me their Concordia model. I had to texture her myself, and boy was *that* an insane sojourn of learning. But she's almost ready for the big leagues now.#wingcommander pic.twitter.com/8EC4ySh5Id

— Mac's Lore (@MacsLore) December 24, 2022
    I also messed with texturing their Waterloo-Cruiser as I was learning how to texture. It's a lot simpler than I thought, once you learn how to work with Substance Painter. Having a bg in Photoshop helped too. This one is much further away from being finished, however.

macs_lore40t.jpg

Jan

Jan

Here's something for the collectors out there. Scribbler ran across this listing for a Wing Commander Movie flight suit on eBay. These were relatively common in prop stores and auction sites in the early 2000s, but the supply has dried up in recent years. We've actually posted about this item before, but the price has come down about 25% since we reported on it a ways back. The current list price is 1500 Euros, which is pretty steep, but actually not that much more than typical prices were 20 years ago (!!) after you account for inflation. If this is on your WC collection bucket list, find out more info here.

wcm_redsuit1t.jpgwcm_redsuit3t.jpgwcm_redsuit4t.jpgwcm_redsuit5t.jpgwcm_redsuit6t.jpgwcm_redsuit7t.jpgwcm_redsuit10t.jpgwcm_redsuit9t.jpgwcm_redsuit8t.jpgwcm_redsuit11t.jpgwcm_redsuit2t.jpg

Original Flight Suit, production used from the movie Wing Commander (1999)

Good condition. Uniform a bit worn and darkened in some areas as requested for the production of the movie.

Size
    Top. from armpit to armpit 58cm and a height of 44cm
    Pants (overall) 1,50cm Height and 45cm of waist

Jan

Nightball06 has a new set of Hellcat renders to share, and they've certainly come a very long way since his original 2D sketches. He tried commissioning another artist to take his designs to the next dimension, but now he's learned techniques to work with the model himself. There are a few liberties taken with specific elements, but the overarching space frame is pretty sharp. The textures are slick too. Now that this exist in virtual form, Nightball has plans to try his hand at animation next.

nightball_fighters14t.jpgnightball_fighters15t.jpgnightball_fighters16t.jpgnightball_fighters17t.jpg

Thanks to the help from Mac, who gave me step-by-step instructions, I was finally able to render my "legacy"-images. :)

Looks pretty nice I think...So thanks again to all who helped me :) ... Next stop: Animation :)

Jan

Jan

Bear with me here, this is one I did not expect. Here's a picture of former President Trump and his wife with his ambassador to the United Kingdom, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson and his wife Suzanne...

redshirt_number4_1t.jpg... the press tells me that Mrs. Johnson is close friends with former First Lady Melania Trump. She's done a lot to use her position to support Ukraine this past year which is pretty neat...

redshirt_number4_2t.jpgredshirt_number4_3t.jpg... but in 1995 her maiden name was Suzanne Ircha... and she was an actress... who played Confed Redshirt #4 in Wing Commander IV! She's one of the young pilots in awe of Colonel Blair when he arrives on the Lexington! (Along with the always noticeable Casper Van Dien.)

redshirt_number4_4t.jpgShe also had a similarly brief cameo in an episode of Star Trek Deep Space 9.

Jan

flatuniverse118t.jpgWe are cruising right through January, which means our annual Fan Project of the Year contest is moving quickly towards its conclusion. If you missed voting initially, you can still get your ballot in before the winners are called! Here are the nominees once again. Scroll down below to vote!

• Challenge Coins - ZOmegaZ’s successful 2021 crowdfunding campaign resulted in these beautiful trinkets in 2022! He took fan feedback to balance the sizes of the ships in the design and the results turned out great.
    • elend’s Physical Models - elend is a master craftsman and his recently completed Dralthi model is high professional grade art. It belongs in a museum!
    • Emulation Technology - Whether getting DOS games to run on Linux, Mac WC games running on PC or Xbox games going on PCs, this has been another great year of technological advancement in emulation.
    • Gemini Sector RPG - One of the longest running and

Jan

EarlBoent.jpg

We are sad to report the passing of a veteran Wing Commander actor. Earl Boen, who voiced two characters in the first episode of Wing Commander Academy, passed away on January 3 at age 81 after a battle with lung cancer. Mr. Boen is best known for his appearances in the first three Terminator films as psychologist Dr. Silberman who continually finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time with regards to futuristic android appearances. Gamers know him best as the voice of Ghost Pirate LeChuck through most of the storied Monkey Island series (he had retired from acting just prior to development of the recent Return to Monkey Island). He was beloved throughout the entertainment industry, appearing in dozens and dozens of roles in every medium imaginable. You can read more about his career in this Variety article.

vlcsnap-2023-01-14-15h39m41s098t.jpgvlcsnap-2023-01-14-15h41m33s007t.jpg

Mr. Boen guest starred in the first episode of Wing Commander Academy, "Red and Blue",

Jan

Jan

Jan

Klavs has a few new updates to his impressive Sabre design. The center aft fuselage has been streamlined with sleeker curves for a sharper look. The results speak for themselves! It's really nice to have a high quality model like this where even the turret guns and exquisitely modeled.

klavs_models390t.jpgklavs_models391t.jpgklavs_models392t.jpg

I purposefully made the turret smaller/remote operated, but it's still there. The Sabre just seems like such a hotrod to me, it's a waste to haul around all that badonkadonk. Second pilot operating the turret remotely makes more sense, or even the primary pilot while the secondary pilot handles the torpedo lock.

Still, it's big enough back there you could imagine a gunner being back there if you really wanted to!

Jan

For the 20th anniversary of Freelancer there are multiple activities and events planned between 24th February and 4th March.

Below you can find a short overview on planned livestreams done during that time.

24.02.2023Showcase, Perhaps Server EventNew UniverseDRCTakashi (Twitch)19:00 CEST
    25.02.2023Showcase StreamLibrelancerCallum7.30pm ACDT (10:00 CEST)
    26.02.2023Play together & Q&AFreelancer:Sirius RevivalDeDarkstar (Twitch)17:00 CEST / 16:00 CET
    27.02.2023Showcase / Server EventNew UniverseDRCTakashi (Twitch)19:00 CEST
    28.02.2023Race EventFreelancer:Sirius RevivalDeDarkstar (Twitch)17:00 CEST / 16:00 CET
    01.03.2023Play togetherNightstalker UniverseDeDarkstar (Twitch)20:00 CEST / 19:00 CET
    02.03.2023All about Genesis + Q&AGenesisGibbon - Wargibbon (Twitch)15:00pm GMT (17:00 CEST)
    03.03.2023Showcase New Content /

Modding Tutorial Q&A
    Freelancer Universe/ModdingDragonFire15:00 UTC (17:00 CEST)
    04.03.2023Developer Round Table + GameplayVanilla (Zoner Universe)DragonFire15:00 UTC (17:00 CEST)
    05.03.2023Play together & dev talk with Q&AHD EditionDeDarkstar (Twitch)17:00 CEST / 16:00 CET

?key=ce5682bc76064bf4ccff58eb4386674f511844ccd275a699ad02164c068e178e-aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zd2F0LXBvcnRhbC5jb20vQ0ZEQi9XaWtpL2FkZHMvQ3Jvc3NzZmlyZUxvZ28ucG5n

For Crossfire we are going to have multiple server side events during the entire weekend 3rd March - 5th March and a "development meeting" in which future updates, planned changes, progress information and wishes can be discussed.

More information about all of this will be announced mid February.

Jan

Yesterday was all about the Sabre, and today we've got a new wallpaper featuring the Broadsword. This one is Klavs' model once again, but it's been posed into an in-your-face perspective by Mac. This was actually made to complement the Broadsword lore video that he made for New Year's. You can imagine this might be the last thing a Ralatha sees before it goes boom!

macs_lore41t.jpg

Big Broadswords Bomb Battleships By Blackmane Base.

Jan