Trains not worth it

There are 15 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ringotwin.

• I had a value of 82 000 000 credits and 56 000 000 in hard cash, I bought the best train for 56 000 000 Credits. My total value lowered to 48 000 000 and i was left with enough hard cash to buy 6 containers of titanium (200 000 credits each). I sold them at New York for 1 080 000 credits, all in all that's about 5 millions in profits. That means I would need to do 7 runs to regain my value of 82 000 000. If you look at it only from this angle, you can say "well, after that i'll make profits", but you got to take all factors into consideration, like turning that is very slow, docking that is not available everywhere, slow undocking, vulnerability, things like that. But the most important point is your goal. I set my goal at 150 000 000 in hard cash, such an amount would permit me to try any ship I see at the point of the story where I am. And I have come to the conclusion that the fastest way to reach my goal is not to spend 56 millions for a train but to spend 10 millions for the APC. I'm left with a head start in credits, I'll be able to reach my goal faster, and i'll have the exploration vehicle I wanted right away. But first I must waste 20 millions buying the redemption just for its shield, that way i'll have it when i'll want another VHF, but that's another story...

• But first I must waste 20 millions buying the redemption just for its shield,

... as @AZ09 said, it might be cheaper to buy the shield alone .... even though not 'easier' ^^ ... it's a bit tricky to find and get :P

... but : why "must"
    The Redemption is a nice ship for the story campaign and - beside comming with this shield has also some other interesting specialities to offer ... all lv 10 weapons .... exeptional strafing ... STRONG hull ;)

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• Thank you all for your answers. True that I don't know much of crossfire yet. There's something I don't understand for sure since I haven't seen the dynamic economy at work yet. The last game I played that had a dynamic economy was X3 terran conflict, and there's nothing of the sort here since prices of goods remain the same. Maybe this dynamic economy concerns solely container goods? That may be why I only made 5 millions selling 6 containers, or maybe it is only functional in multiplayer? But I'm playing the campaing.

As for the shield, I don't know where I can buy it alone, I visited maybe 250 bases yet, and I haven't seen it anywhere. But I'm in paused story, so maybe i'll see it later when new systems will unlock, and I may truly have missed it (you got to really pay attention of the stuff they sell, that thruster that go just a tad faster is a true jewel to escape combat, but I've seen it only at one base, behind an asteroid field...). But no problem, I spent the 20 millions for the shield, and i'm not frustrated, there are all kind of ways to make money. As for the ship, I wanted the APC to explore, fight, and trade with some effectiveness. I'll probably get another VHF when i'll go back to the story. And i'm not in a hurry to unlock everything, i'm already overwhelmed by the quantity (and quality) of systems I have open presently. When i'll feel at home, then i'll continue the story and open new parts. I like it like that, and it's not important if i don't get the best stuff right away, or if i waste 20 millions for a shield...But I do want the best of the part I have unlocked before going farther. Sure that multiplayer is another matter, i'll see about that later, if my bandwidth is sufficient.

• The best route I found gave me 1.5 millions credits net (2 ways) in 10 minutes with the APC. That's 9 millions an hour.

Containers from New York to New Tokyo and back gave me 10 500 000 credits net in 29 minutes (we'll say 30). That's 21 millions an hour.

More than double what I can make with the APC, but I'm not taking into consideration that buying the APC only lowers my value 6 millions while the soulforge train 34...Anyway, how do you get 100 millions an hour with the soulforge train? The containers I sold were worth 1 080 000 credits a unit both ways BTW...it looks like a constant. Why does the price of the profitable container shows 3 600 000 while its true value is 1 080 000? I initially bought the soulforge train thinking i'd buy a container 200 000 credits and sell it 3 600 000 credits, which did not happen, so why the 3 600 000 if the truth is 1 080 000?

• how do you get 100 millions an hour

... I assume @SilverFox refers here more to the possibilies in MP than SP ^^ .However in that you find the "right" tradee on the "right" day you can be able to make at least half of this ratio in SP. A very 'profitable' good in that respect are Alien Organisms - esp at some days in Rheinland territory with as ship like Mining Ship or armored transport ;)

Dynamic economy ....
    well Freelancer is an damn old game engine and I don't know if something like the x-series where an actual trade you do already changes the actual economy (prices) at least in the system you are in is possible at all in Freelancer. And Crossfire 2.0 stll uses exactly the same game engine as the 12 year old original , "vanilla" game.

Here dynamic economy means, that the prices for buying and selling as well as the distribution of goods all over the game universe change once every day , wiht the daily server restart around 07:00 server time. Maybe one day there might be a nice trade i.e. engine components between planet New Tokyo and Roppongi station ;) the next day THIS trade is gone and engine components might even not be traded at all in the New Tokyo system.
    But for every day there is ... somewhere such a profitable route. :D

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• the biggest profits in a train u make with trading commodities on short routes (i.e. between planet New Tokyo and Roppongi station). in cooperation with other players u can then nearly double ur profits in such situations. u should also have a look to the magic triangle above planet New London (2 train-dockable stations + the planet itself). the average profit of the best daily trade-routes is 50 mill per hour. some players could probably help u out. ask (IOC)-members, Forlon or me :)

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• Ok, we're just talking here, i'm not really crazy about finding the exact most profitable route in the universe, but i'm curious, and you play along with me.

So, sure that that if I use the train as just a cargo hold, and use it in the shortest "max profits" route, then 50 millions is, indeed, quite a realist target.

But what about the container thing? I like the idea, but it's definitively not the best use you can make of a train. The joke is that it would be extremely profitable if those containers were sold at the advertised price, for now, apart from travel opportunities (like when you leave sol with the train, the containers are there, so it may be a good idea to leave with them if you're going to New York to do something else) apart from that, who trade in containers?

• There are certain containers routes which need much less time, but may require to be 'friendly enough' (-3 rep bars or higher) with some npcs (outcasts, corsairs). I counted you may get on one 40-50M/hour if you know how to pilot train ... it may look that this ship is terrible agile but easy flying, but skilled pilot may nicely reduce time needed for pass certain routes.

now what is behind container trade:
    1) containers are equipment, if you die, your ship will respawn with all containers
    2) theirs trade is all time the same, is not affected by dynamic economy.
    3) (for MP) this trade is legal and offer stable profit
    4) while you do such trading, you can nicely explore main trading routes.
    5) prior 2.0 was possible trade along containers also normal goods, alas there were resons why was needed 'disable' this. ... still trains if used regularly are (its my pov for mp)the best way how to maintain your finances.

• In singleplayer, it may be better to stick to fighters and freighters, trains work better when used in cooperation with other players. Also, some bases later on in story can only be docked by fighters and freighters.
    My favourite ships in single player are APC freighter, Bullpup Mk III freighter or Deathblade VHF (both are great for podding)

• Hint the container price of 3,600,000 is the retail price of all containers that u the trader buys 4 200,000 and then u sell it 4 a proffit of over a mill creds at the correct destination. There that container is offered retail for 3,600,000
    A trader never buys at this price and can never sell it at that price or above

As its already been said a Train will make u rich
    if done right and u hav th time th right BMG DOESNOT happen every day u will make tons of money. U find a short distance trade somedays can be 10 mill + round trip
    Try not to smuggle but its more fun if u do it even if it's artifacts and u drive it past the nose of the NPC s police just to prove u can do it.

Podding can make u lots of money but u can make trading fun to.

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)