Posts by Spock

I appreciate that, but none-the-less there are 159 actual systems plus 4 nomad lair complexes. I did not include the complexes in my count of 159. I believe that there are 6 new LF systems, 153 existing systems and 4 Nomad complexes, making the magic 163. Still like I said, OP will no doubt show us the light.

Well OP as usual is technically correct, but I would not go flying off trying to find actual new systems. I have a very extensive app that I wrote myself and there are 4 more systems but they are Nomad Lair complexes and I would not classify them as systems and I believe you can only access them in SP. However, I could be wrong and await the wisdom of OP to correct me.;) I do have images of the 6 new Sol systems, they show wrecks, gates which are accessible and bases etc.

I agree and have no problem in understanding the randomness of the unknown systems, it is just that it appears not to work in the multiplayer version. Getting to and from LP using a different route everyday is no biggy for the player. In earlier versions it worked just fine, you got in and out through a different system every day. Each day, only one of the three potential jump holes was both visible and accessible, the remaining two could not be seen. The system out, was the same as the one you entered from and all the JHs worked just fine. Now all three jump holes to LP are visible every day, with the results as explained earlier. If, as it appears, the randomness no longer works, I thought it better that players could get in and out of the system rather than not at all. It is frustrating to get all the way to LP only to find it is the wrong system and that you cannot get out or, to get to the right system only to find the exit system is wrong and within which, the JHs do not function correctly. However, this must be put into perspective, that is why my original approach to the problem was low key. If it was simple to fix, fine, but if it involved a lot of work and manipulation of code, it was just not worth it, this is a small part of a huge and brilliant undertaking. I thank you for your time and interest in trying to solve this and I hope that this explains where I am coming from and why I made my original request . Fly safe.

Thanks, sorry I forgot my references to the Unknown systems were different to your wiki, I have not corrected them because of my last post. But if you reduce each reference number by 1 it should make sense. See my comments above re coding.

You are right I forgot that my references were different from yours. My original comments were correct.

So you gain access via Unknown 3 and get out but to Unknown 2. As I said before I have found this to be the same every day. So you get in the same way and you get out the same way all be it to the wrong system.

I thought that if this bit of code, which is from CF54.ini were changed, it would hopefully get you out to Unknown 3 the same system you entered by.

[Object]

nickname = CF54_to_CF56

ids_name = 480997

pos = -26194, 0, -23166

rotate = 0, 14, 0

jump_effect = jump_effect_hole

ids_info = 60212

archetype = jumphole

goto = CF56, CF56_to_CF54, gate_tunnel_crossfire

visit = 0

change to: -

[Object]

nickname = CF54_to_CF57

ids_name = 480997

pos = -26194, 0, -23166

rotate = 0, 14, 0

jump_effect = jump_effect_hole

ids_info = 60212

archetype = jumphole

goto = CF57, CF57_to_CF54, gate_tunnel_crossfire

visit = 0

I probably have no idea what I am talking about but it might work.

Sorry, I did not reply earlier but I have been away for a few days. I did not mean to cause anyone any extra work; I was just curious to see if there was a simple fix.

With regard to the access to LP I found that all 3 jump holes, which potentially have access to LP, work every day. One in Unknown 2, grid ref C3, another in Unknown 3, grid ref c/d 3/4 and the last through Unknown 4 grid ref F3. However whilst, when you arrive in LP, the map states LP you are not actually in LP.  Only access via Unknown 4 actually gets you there. The JH do not work so you are stuck. You also cannot land on LP or destroy the station to get DKAs.

I also realize that I used the wrong reference for the system; I should have said the correct access was via Unknown 4. It is a bit confusing when they are all called Unknown. When access is gained through Unknown 4 you can get the DKAs.

It is Unknown 3 you get back to when you leave LP, whereas it should be Unknown 4 the system you entered by. This causes problems with the JHs in Unknown 3 which activate but do not actually transport you anywhere.

I hope this has not served to confuse things as I have only set this out to try and clarify the points I was trying make before. I hope I have got the system names right now. I do not want anyone to spend any more time on this since hardly anyone goes to LP. I was only going there to complete my own data, for the app I have written which helps me trade and navigate the Crossfire Mod which I think is brilliant.

Thank you all for the interest shown but please do not waste any more of your time on this as I am sure you all have better things to do. You all “Live long and prosper” Spock out.

:salutes

OK it is really not worth the effort to fix in view of the number of players, but it is definitely not working. Thanks for listening.

The problem is not that it is random. The random is not working, all the jump holes are open. You can access Lost Paradise from 3 different jump holes everyday. However only one actually is Lost Paradise. So you can end up in a system from which you cannot escape if you get to LP via the wrong JH. If you are not in LP despite the grid saying you are none of JHs work. If you are in LP when you try to get out instead of going to system you entered from you end up in other as per the example above. As for the random bit so far I have only found Unknown 3 to be JH which works to get into LP.

I am wondering if it would be possible just to amend the code to get to and from Lost Paradise. At the moment it appears that whilst all 3 holes are open every day access is only possible via Unknown 3. However, when you leave Lost Paradise you come out in Unknown 2. The jump holes in Unknown 2 are then unstable in that they accept the dock request but leave you stranded in the docking maneuver at the mercy of the Nomads and don’t actually let you leave. I appreciate that there are not many players but I thought that if the exit code for Lost Paradise could be amended from CF56 to CF57 it might solve the problem especially since the entry coding is no longer dynamic.

Yes my preferred RP is police and that is the one I actively persue RP with. As many of you know I have many characters. Spock remains my bread and butter character which earns the credits from missions and does very little RP. However, I have other characters which are mainly police with others just freelancers. I use these characters to join in RP whenever I can. I have no pirate characters which is to honour my agreement with DC for allowing me access rights to Tohoku.

I am sorry Michael but your comments are not based on experience playing the game. You rarely make an appearance and on the rare occasions you have, when I have been on line you remained docked, seemingly unwilling to actually do any RP.
    Freelancers do join clans, including myself, but the clans do not last, that is a fact. Even the clans, yours included, which still exist, have no active members. If you are so keen why are you not on line?
    Freelancer can’t keep switching clans each time a clan no longer appears on the server.
    I agree the server needs clans for RP but it is not because freelancers remain freelancers, they do join clans but the existing clan members are just not active and the new recruit loses interest. This year your clan has had several new members, I have not seen any of you clan members on line for weeks. So what are their reasons for not being active? Start looking at home for answers before putting the blame on freelancers remaining freelancers. We only remain freelancers because there is not a credible alternative.

Ok what out weighs what from a Freelancers perspective.
    My experience is based on the time slot I am able, usually, to be on line; namely between 08:00 -20:00

The benefits of being in a clan are fine but the clan has to show up on the server for you to enjoy those benefits.
    I have been coming to Crossfire for 6 years and, apart from holidays, I have been on line nearly every day with one or more of my many characters.
    Unfortunately, during that time not one clan has been on line regularly. The members come and go, enthusiasm returns for a week or so and members appear on line but it is short lived.

Yes the clans still exist, but do not participate on regular basis. PX was the most consistent of clans but, as previously mentioned in this thread, they are banned.
    Currently, IOC and SA are on line but only one or two players at a time. UR recently made a brief appearance with a couple of players but they seem to have disappeared again.
    So, really the benefits of being in a clan, sadly, are really non existent. Just log on and see how many clans actually appear, it is mostly freelancers.
    If you join a clan, sooner or later you will be on your own again and might just as well have stayed a freelancer.
    This happened to me, when I first came to Crossfire, so I have remained a freelancer ever since.

This is a great shame because clans are required to make RP work and help the server to survive. I do not know the answer to this problem; I know people have RLs and RL problems, which accounts for some of the missing clans but not all.

When you see that a password is required it indicates that OP has closed the server. It is usually to enable him to test updates etc. When he is satisfied that all is well he will reopen the server. In the meantime you will have to chill out.