Posts by MuG3N

Alrighty I've re-downloaded, re-uninstaled everything, re-re-re-re-re-started my computer, re-cleared my registry, re-installed fl, re-installed FLMM. and I even re-installed my runtimes just to be safe. Also added my gpu into flconfig.txt. Oh, yes and removed write protection one million times.

And guess what?

Well, when it comes to gaming, overkill is never a bad thing (if you have the cash for it at least.) As time goes by, more games will be created that require greater and greater processing power, RAM, gpu, etc. It's good to be a little ahead of the game.

All the other advice I have for you is: Whatever you do, for heavens sake, if a gpu says it has anything to do with Intel, run like hell away from it! I've had nothing but shit performance from anything intel as far as graphics goes.

Good luck.

And if you ever have any spare parts you want to get rid of... gpu to be specific... even if it is years old trash... talk to me... because ANYTHING is better than intel. @_@

Ok, I'll re-download and reinstall tomorrow. Or today. whenever I wake up from sleeping.

To answer your questions:

1. Yeah, it worked alright. I had that annoying font glitch with a few of the menus, but it was nothing major.
    2.Yep, the original.
    3.I keep all my security options to minimal, because as you hint at, it's annoying, and it really serves no purpose for me, as I know how to keep my computer safe. So I think that's why I don't even get "unblock" option with the file properties. See the attachment.
    4. Yeah, I am.
    5.Yes, I used vanilla FL shader, I don't think my gpu is strong enough to handle anything better. Using Intel GMA 950... it's really bad.
    6.No... the only things I "modified" was to put the newer launcher/updater like you guys told me to. I don't recall making any other changes.
    7.You know, I actually haven't. I didn't get a problem with vanilla freelancer because of it, but maybe it's different with CF. I'll make sure to do this.
    8.Vanilla FL shader
    Adjust to desktop res.
    those are the only things I usually have checked, although I did play with them to try and get it to work, but no dice.

I don't recall there being an option in the activation to not allow SP update...? maybe I missed it...

But yeah, I'll update you guys on this later (pun intended :hust: ) the birds are chirping now... I should really go to sleep...

Files

• Untitled.png

(280.22 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )

Well it crashes for me no matter what I do, or I would not have this thread. I've followed the instructions of ape's TO THE LETTER. And I've got the screenshots showing all the files and folders with the size being exactly what they should be. Like I said in a previous post, I think it is highly unlikely that this is because something went wrong with the installation.

All I know is that without the update I get a crash. With the update I do not get a crash. Everything else people have told me to try has failed, that's the only solution I can see. If you've got better ideas, say them.

@Diablo I've restarted the launcher probably 50 times by now. Once I waited for an hour, and it still did nothing.

Also, I've taken the time to install this on my other computer that does not have internet, and I still have the same problem. I get a loading screen, and then after 30 sec. I get a crash. So it's not just my computer.

No it does not make sense.
    Its a beta version which gets the latest files via launcher.
    I for sure will not release a new mod download, compile a new installer and spend half a day to upload all the shit everytime I do changes on the mod. Thats what the launcher is for and it serves its purpose very well.

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that you should release a new mod download, compile a new installer and spend half a day to upload all the shit EVERY time you make changes to the mod. I'm saying you should do this ONCE with more recent files so that what we get in the mod download doesn't crash if we don't update it.

yessir. here you go.

[xattach=5773][/xattach][xattach=5774][/xattach][xattach=5775][/xattach]

Yeah OP I get that, my point is that if we had these fixed files included in the download of the mod, even if they aren't the latest version, the launcher thing wouldn't be mandatory, and one could still play SP if they had a problem like this, or they couldn't get internet for whatever reason... does that make sense?

Files

• Cplusplus.png

(228.16 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )
    • FLMM.png

(296.82 kB, downloaded 4 times, last: )
    • setupfolder.png

(265.9 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )

I used ape's installation guide. That's why it takes so long for me to reinstall every time. Did you see anything wrong with the images I submitted?

It looks like he fixed his problem just by cleaning his registry. I did that too, I was very thorough. I used IOBit uninstaller, which cleans all leftover files, and registry entries, then after that I used Ccleaner to clean anything that might have missed, and then just to be sure I used regedit and removed anything that any of those missed.

Ok OP, that makes sense. But still, why are we provided with files that will cause a crash with the initial installation? Even if they are not the most updated ones, a version that will not cause a crash when I try to play SP is good enough.

Also, I just want to say thanks to everyone that is working with me to try and fix this. Even the creator himself gives me advice. Although this is the most trouble I've had with a mod of any game, this is also the greatest support I've gotten, from any mod community i've been to. Everybody here tries their best to help me, and I just want to say I really appreciate it. We can fix this eventually, I know it! ^_^

Well then, why can't we just have the updated files in the initial installation? or have some place where we can manually download the files without this (No offense to Huor) kind of buggy launcher downloader? If we just replaced the files with the updated ones, is it one of those things that would break the mod?

Or maybe it doesn't work because I sneezed while it was installing... sorry, sorry, only kidding. :strafe:

Here are mine. I think it's unlikely that it's because I didn't install correctly, I've followed the directions quite precisely.

[xattach=5759][/xattach][xattach=5760][/xattach][xattach=5761][/xattach][xattach=5762][/xattach][xattach=5763][/xattach]

Something else to know:

Before I got the update to work the first time, I tried to launch the game before updating, I got a loading screen, and then crash, so I figured "well duh, the update probably has some important files needed in order to run the game" After I finally got the update to work, there was no problem starting the game. Are you saying there are not files in the update that are essential to run the game? If so, why would I get a crash before the update, and then no crash after?

Edit: ignore that picture at the bottom, that's just my whole microsoft games folder, Starlancer included.

Files

• Screen.jpg

(246.37 kB, downloaded 8 times, last: )
    • screen2.jpg

(256.78 kB, downloaded 8 times, last: )
    • screen3.jpg

(263.95 kB, downloaded 8 times, last: )
    • screen4.jpg

(215.37 kB, downloaded 8 times, last: )
    • screen5.jpg

(214.26 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )
    • screen7.jpg

(194.54 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )

I'm already having a PM conversation with Huor about this issue, but I figured I'd make a thread incase anyone else has any advice, and to make the solution public to anyone else who might have this problem in the future.

So, here's the details: On the first start of Freelancer.exe (from inside EXE folder of course), the launcher starts up and does it's thing, updates itself with no problem. The problem starts when I click the "Single Player" button, and it asks me if I'd like to download the update for Single Player before launching the game. On clicking "yes" I get a blue bar at the bottom of the launcher, with the words "Starting Update..." and it never goes away. I have a program to monitor the data packets my computer is sending and receiving, and while the launcher is in this state, there is almost 0 activity, so it is not trying to connect to anywhere, or download anything. The log says nothing other than "Starting Update..." as well.

This is the 3rd time I've reinstalled, the 1st time I installed it I actually managed to get it to work on like the 10th try of restarting the launcher, but then I needed to change a few settings I couldn't change through the launcher, so reinstall. and after that I haven't been able to get it to magically work like it did the 1st time.

My firewall is off, I don't have AV. Huor thinks my ISP might be blocking the update server, which is not out of the question because I have to change my MAC address to milk the free wifi trial provided by xfinity (comcast). However, I don't think that is the case for a few reasons: It has already worked for me once on this connection, seemingly out of nowhere. I've already heard a few people say they need to restart the launcher several times before it does anything. If the launcher can update itself just fine, why not the game? Does it not get the game update files from the same place as the launcher update files? That being said, just to make sure, I will take my laptop to my friend's house tomorrow, and try to do this over his internet. Still, any ideas are welcome.

I am aware there is already a thread with this topic, however there is no conformed answer to the problem there, (or any I can confirm myself, I don't have access to the router I'm using, so I can't change the MTU settings. I could possibly break into the router, but that'd be illegal, now wouldn't it? Don't want the party van outside my house...).

I reinstalled to enable old graphic card support (game play was not as smooth as I'd like it to be, can't be helped, my graphics capabilities kind of suck) as well as change some character models, and I get the same issue with the launcher stuck on "starting update"... I know it will work eventually if I restart enough times, but this is really annoying... any ideas on what causes it to hang like that? No AV, firewall is off, so it has nothing to do with that...