Im on Linux so i got the game itself working via Wine. When connecting to the global server it doesn't work for some reason, so the workaround would be to directly connect with this argument for the freelancer exe:

-s81.169.228.227:2302

under normal circumstances this should work. however the game ignores this for some reason and i think it's because the argument only reaches the launcher but not the game itself, so in a sense the launcher blocks my command arguments

any idea how to bypass this?

• Internally that command is already used as fallback if the global server can not be reached (and that worked for multiple months last year).

So in theory either this command line is not used at all on linux or something else blocks the server list to display.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Hi there Demonmegi,

I am also playing it under wine. I found out that I need to override a few libraries in wine for the game to find the global server. So in the wine configuration I had to override the following built in libraries to *native:

*dplayx

*dpnet

*dpnhpast

*dpwsockx

and it works just fine on both Ubuntu and Debian.

On both I am using playonlinux with wine 3.0.2.

Good luck!

Dan

• bluesbroeast i did what you said (native then builtin) but the result is the same

if i choose just native the game would refuse to start from launcher

i get this error code:

23:41:08.835 --> [i]:Starting Update...

23:41:15.011 --> [i]:Prepare Crossfire Start

23:41:16.584 --> [i]:Starting Crossfire

23:41:17.524 --> [i]:Crossfire is running

23:41:17.895 --> [x]:Crossfire Crash Exit - CODE ffffffffc0000005 [E000000D3]

23:41:18.225 --> [i]:Crossfire was closed

i am using wine 4.3 and 4.1 but no effect. i will switch to 3.0.2 to see if it makes any difference (EDIT: Nope, same result)

by the way are you using win7 or win10 in the wine setting? (EDIT: nope, no difference)

• Good morning Demonmegi,

Will do it today. Look for a private message for the link.

Have a great day,

Dan

• Hello Demonmegi and fellow pilots,

On a second thought, maybe it's a better idea to provide the wineprefix for anyone who wants to play the game under GNU/Linux and has problems with the install.

So here it goes:

1. Install playonlinux on your rig. I am currently using version 4.3.4

2. Create a new virtual drive from the PlayonLinux configuration menu, 32bit windows installation, 3.0.2 wine version.

3. Download this and this(I have split the archive in 2 for size reasons), unpack in a temp folder.

4. Replace the files extracted in the wineprefix you have previously created(EDIT: it's under /home/"your account name"/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/). They will replace the config files and the drive_c folder entirely.

5. Now restart PlayonLinux.

6. Install a new, non-listed program in PlayonLinux, to create the shortcut for the game. Select edit or update an existing application, then check the box "show virtual drives", select the drive you created previously, click next on the proposed things to do before installation, choose a 32bit windows installation, pick an exe file from the drive ( I recommend ../.Playonlinux/wineprefix/"yourdrive"/drive_c/Program Files/Freelancer/EXE/Freelancer.exe). At this point the game will start, but the shortcut isn't yet created, so close the game. Then select the Freelancer.exe again for the shortcut to be created. Cancel the process if you don't need other shortcuts for other applications from the same drive. Or add also FLModManager, if you think it's useful, the app is there.

7. Run the new shortcut, to test the game. I created an "It_Works" character, just to test if the game works and connects properly to the 24/7 SWAT Crossfire Role Play Server.

8. Configure PlayonLinux, select your virtual drive, click on the Wine menu, on the right tab, start the Registry editor, and search for Freelancer. Under \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\1.0 you will find the MPAccount name and the MPAccountNamesig. If you need to set up a new player, delete the 2 keys, they will be recreated the first time you start Freelancer in MultiPlayer.

9. If you already have a MP Account, there's the place to fill in the data about it.

10. Happily play Freelancer Crossfire 2, thanking the developer of the mod for his great work!

PS. I removed the mod from the FLModManager folder to reduce the size of the downloaded wineprefix. This means that you can't uninstall the Crossfire 2 Mod to play again the vanilla Freelancer. If you need it, let me know and I'll pack it in another download.

Good luck and let me know if it works for you ;).

Dan

• @bluesbroeast: great post! I think it should be published on the forum so that anyone could find it.

By the way, one can reduce game size a bit more by uninstalling FLMM and deleting all .flmmbak files. It is unnecessary to keep them after Crossfire is activated, because deactivation will not be possible anyway (it's an old problem with CF).

For myself, I also renamed _blank.wmv to swat.wmv and removed all other files in DATA\MOVIES. The game is still fully functional but now occupies only 6.28 GB of space (and 4.02 GB on disk with NTFS compression).

Hope this helps!