Game crashes in station bars, news section

There are 20 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by krokyk.

• Hi all,

kudos for the awesome mod! It would be great if it didn't crash every now and then :/ Mostly it happens inside stations (it has never crashed in open space as far as I can remember)

When I'm clicking on various news it will crash at some point. Not every time but ALWAYS when I have blank white rectangle instead of logo in the news window:

pasted-from-clipboard.png

When logo is displayed, I can browse news safely. Now if I close the bar screen when logo was blank, inevitably the game will crash when switching between various station screens (commodities, equipment) or when undocking from station, but I assume the main thing already happened before (when the logo in news window failed to load/appear). I'm not sure if there is some pattern, but when I restart the game after the crash (the CF launcher stays open) when I go to the same bar, the logo is there and I can browse the news. It's probably after I leave a station and dock in another one (or maybe even the same) that "something" happens and the logo is gone - so I know I'll get a crash sooner than later.

In the launcher log I don't find the exit code helpful:

23:41:25.387 --> [i]:Prepare Crossfire Start

23:41:26.792 --> [i]:Starting Crossfire

23:41:27.285 --> [i]:Crossfire is running

00:02:47.380 --> [x]:Crossfire Exit - CODE 00000001

00:02:47.770 --> [i]:Crossfire was closed

I've tried searching the forum, but I haven't found anything similar to my problem. I've tried edited flconfigdatabase.txt and added my GeForce GTX 1080 to it, but nothing changed and the crashing still occurs. Maybe it's worth mentioning I have 2x GTX 1080 and SLI enabled, not sure if it makes any difference. My resolution is 3440x1440 and the CF launcher config is as follows:

Can any1 pls help?

• is there a specific location where this happens?

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• can you check if the following file exists and how big it is?

.\Freelancer Crossfire\DATA\INTERFACE\NEURONET\NEWSVENDOR\newsvendor.txm

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Yes, it does,

• dunno then

the screenshot you posted shows missing textures but if the texture file is there...

they display absolutely normal for me

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• It's not like that always. This is what I observed so far...

1. launch CF launcher

2. launch Freelancer (SP) from the launcher

3. load game -> puts you in station if it's a regular player save (no autosave)

4. go to bar -> I can see the texture there normally, I experience no crashes

5. switch through various station rooms, go back to bar, the texture is still there

6. leave the station to space, dock in other station (didn't try docking back to the same I just left), all rooms are fine, even bar, no crashes

7. click news, texture is missing, game crashes after a while, freelancer process exits, only CF launcher stays

now I can just relaunch (i.e. continue from point 2.) and enjoy one no-crash attempt at news reading until I undock and dock again

Do you think a reinstall would help? Are my savegames still safe or no matter if reinstall is done this weird state is already baked into the save file? Hope not, don't really want to start over... I mean this is in no way a game breaking bug so I can still live with that, if I see a blank rectangle instead of a texture I can just restart the game and then re-read the news to enjoy the campaingn but... It's a pain in the ass :)

• OK - here are the event logs from the time the game crashed in the bar (the texture where the logo should be was blank again) - still don't know exactly when this happens or what the pattern is. I have an idea, but would need some time to investigate.

Edit: I thought that it might be caused by Alt-Tabbing to Windows, but I could not confirm it. Then it occured to me that maybe it happens when the news content I want to display is different from the previous one that I had displayed without problems. E.g. if story progresses or you dock to a different faction base (anything that triggers content change in the news I guess). That's pretty much all I can think of right now. Adding second pair of events from after the second crash.

Also, everytime I launch the FL I see this one error event in the log right when FL goes full screen BUT it does not seem to do any harm (nothing crashes) and I'm not sure what it is...

• the shiprange plugin error was reported before related to a directx issue (eventhough I am convinced that it is not related to dx)

the other error seems to be totally new, I found no reports about it so far

can you upload that newsvendor.txm so i can take a closer look at it? Maybe something is damage on that file.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• please try it with this file instead... I want to test a theory about it.

(of course block the launcher updates)

Files

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Ok, I guess your graphic card has a strange limiter on the texture size or a limiter on the texture dimensions.

I guess just to be sure that other people wont run into similar issues ill patch the file with a standardized texture size.

That however leads me to the question if something similar happens elsewhere in the game and how to test it.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Well, I dunno - if it's of any worth these are my card's sepcifications:

And don't worry, I'll report any other crashes I might encounter down the road. ;) I've started a new SP campaign and I am some credits short of Mission 09... With luck, I won't hit any issue in original FL campaign - I am a bit worried about entering Sol but it's still a moderately distant future and hopefully my saves are now not corrupted (as they were before if you remember from the other thread by me)

• a gtx 1080 should not have such texture limits... I used to have a similar card from a different vendor

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Oh, got it again, Mission 21: Smugglers Journey on planet Crete in Omicron Gamma - clicked on news, bam, blank texture, followed by a crash in a few seconds (btw, I can speed up the crash if I click quickly through various news) - I'm still using that patched file you provided.

So far it's been the only base with the problem after I started using your fixed file.

Edited once, last by krokyk: More information ().

• probably the launcher downloaded the original Version of the file

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• no, I haven't done any updates for a long while now and I have the orig file (with extension .orig) next to the patched one - that was the first thing I've checked

Edited once, last by krokyk ().

• :threeeyes:

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,