Why Not??

There are 10 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by DayDreamer.

• I am puzzled by the indignance some players express when their opponent in a fight uses nanobots and shield batteries. In PvP matches, I completely agree with the practice of fighting without them, and always dump my own supply before entering the arena (wherever it may be at the time). This is akin to bare-knuckle boxing. :D

But in gameplay, as in streetfighting, I fully expect my human opponent to use every means available to prevail in the contest. As I see it there are several very good reasons for this to be an acceptable practice in regular gameplay:

1. Human players are deadlier than NPC's, and NPC's can be threat enough to occasionally need to recharge.

2. Fighting NPC's teaches us to wear the opponent down, since most of them recharge, seemingly without end at times, especially for some of the stronger NPC ships.

3. If you are any good at PvP, you'll wear down your opponent in the same way, because the supply of bat's & 'bots is finite, and consumed more rapidly in the more advanced ships, anyway.

4. It appears that most players have a rank threshold they use to decide whether to engage another player in combat. But rank, unfortunately for the defending player, only measures the cumulative value of a character's net worth (ship assets and cash, with some value on exploration). Rank has virtually nothing to do with a player's combat experience (or lack of it), so a level 70 player might have never engaged in PvP at all, if they have been trading their whole career as a pilot. Yet this same player is expected to bare their chest and take their lumps in combat like a seasoned veteran!

5. Sometimes, in the course of role-oriented gameplay, a player is confronted by multiple opponents, who again, may far outstrip them in experience. Yet, the less-experienced player is somehow also dishonorable by using every possible means to survive the encounter? (I am only speaking of standard CF-issue equipment here, not cheats.) I think not...

6. If a player is going to engage another in combat, they had better be prepared to deal with whatever the defender has got. If they don't like the prospect of actually having to work at beating their opponent, then they are better off not to attack, instead of whining that the defender actually used (gasp!) all their equipment...

7. We expect that players' skills at PvP will improve with each encounter, but if the encounter lasts for 10 seconds or less, what will the loser have learned except to avoid the winner at all costs? Less-experienced fighters need every bit of help they can get to stay alive long enough to gain the experience needed.

8. Not all players are willing to play along with all other player's role-play. Everyone has the right to pursue their own goals in the game, and if some players cannot accept this, then we all have a problem, because some players are now imposing their will on others. For instance, I have no problem with the fact of piracy, or the existence of pirate clans, but I do not have to agree with the pirate's terms when they come calling. In the ensuing fight, MY role is survival, so why should I be held in derision for playing out a different role than the pirate, and using all available means to stay alive?

It occurs to me that NPC combat is the model for roleplay PvP, so it's only natural for players to recharge during battle. In fact, I have just as much respect for the pilot who recharges, as for those who do not, because they are operating more controls during the fight, which can be difficult to do. As you may have guessed from all this detail, you can expect me to use ALL my equipment if I am attacked outside match play. :P

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

• Centaurian thanks for this threat.

I'm playing crossfire since last november, and i didn't had a single PvP yet! I'm playing a trader, and so i try to avoid as much as possible all kind of troubles.

The PvP rules saying no missiles, no bot's or bats, are good for "showdown" between two gunners, or players acting like samurai looking for individual fights.

Like Centaurian wrote, i will use all legals means given to me in CF to survive. My goal is not to score the maximum victims, or being the king of the arena, but to explore this wonderfull worls Op make for us, help other players etc...

Best regards.

And have a nice day :D

Harlan_Liner

"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux"

A. St EXUPERY

"Homo hominis lupus"

• well u have made good points centaurian. but i must say, i have thought about these things myself and it still doesnt seems fair. for the most part, preety much every1 here can fight better than an npc. some ppl can fight like 10 or more npcs put together.

say for example: u have 2 piolts fighting. 1 isnt as good as the other. the weaker 1 doesnt want to use batts and nanos because he still thinks that it is cheating. the stronger 1 uses his. so that there is a good point why no1 should use batts/nanos outside of pvp or any fight with real players.

i say that u can still use them against npcs, but if ur a good piolt i dont see why u would need to. therefore, the only thing i think u might need i ur cargo hold is some nanos to repair radiation damage while in flight.

• most ppl only use batts and botts for radiation damage and on a VHF with 100% extra armour and and adv champ shield the nanos and batts don't make mush difference really maybe one full recharge

• @ Darkstalker: Maybe, You're right darkstalker, but we are in a RPG, so my charachter will react this way : If he his attacked by "pirates" or other factions he will defend till death using all means (legal ones) he has, and it includes bots and bats.

Plus if he's flying a Seraphina or a Bullpup Mk III the shields available are'nt good enough to sustain a full atack of PPC...

And also I think that a lot of freelancer aren't equipped with 100% armor and Adv Champion shields...

@darkjedi : Again we are in a RPG, so if you want to evaluate the combat skills of two pilots they must have the same vessels and equipment wich is barely the case in the game !

But I agrre with you in the case of a choised combat. Both pilots have to determine first rules of engagement (no bats/bots, missiles, Mines, N° of rounds...) [lol]

Sincerely your's

Harlan_Liner

"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux"

A. St EXUPERY

"Homo hominis lupus"

• but when you fight someone and you only win because you used bots/bats is this really a win for you ?

[angel] Give me your hand and follow me into the light! [angel]

MSN: MarcBomber@arcor.de (no mail)
    IRC: irc.quakenet.org:6667 #Bomber

[SIZE=1] Post last edited by MarcBomber on 11.09.2005, 10:01 AM. [/SIZE]

• johoo maties

when i decide to go home after a day hard work fully loaded of whiskey or other stuff.
    damn y i will defent my self whith all needs possible,iff it meens nao or shield so be it.
    but in friendly pvp no sir i dont need them.

see you all

but when you fight someone and you only win because you used bots/bats is this really a win for you ?

When I finally get a win, Marc, I'll let you know... 8)

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

• Not to be rude, but... what does this topic/thread have to do with the Crossfire MOD itself ? :rolleyes:

*fart*
    "Danger, volatile gases detected"
    "argh, stupid computer"
    *BOOM*
    -------------------------------------------
    Server Characters:
    -DayDreamer (Merc.)
    -Zpectre (Smugler)
    -Day[Racer] (Racer)

Originally posted by DayDreamer
    Not to be rude, but... what does this topic/thread have to do with the Crossfire MOD itself ? :rolleyes:

It's certainly not server news and it does suggest the use of equipment in this mod.

So what was is your new char name, now that you left BG?

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

Originally posted by Gunny

It's certainly not server news and it does suggest the use of equipment in this mod.

So what was is your new char name, now that you left BG?

IMO this thread doesnt belong here, Nanobots and Shield Batteries has been part of standard Freelancer since the beginning of time (as far as I know) and not actually a unique part of the Crossfire mod... but enough of that...
    The names u see in my signature are the names of the characters I use on the server.

*fart*
    "Danger, volatile gases detected"
    "argh, stupid computer"
    *BOOM*
    -------------------------------------------
    Server Characters:
    -DayDreamer (Merc.)
    -Zpectre (Smugler)
    -Day[Racer] (Racer)