Release version

There are 4 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Gibbon.

• Anyone else playing this atm? We are currently on version 1.03 which came shortly after the release back on the 16th of December. Most players are happy enough, but there are some alarming omissions from the release version. Claims of multiplayer activity with friends from the developer videos that David Braben talked about pre-release have fallen well short of the mark so far.

In game chat is only between two players, no system, or group chat is available. There is no grouping atm as it's very difficult to get say a group of five players into the same instance to do co-op missions, of which there aren't any. So group play is kind of out the window.

To be fair these are being worked on, and i think the release version, a view shared by many on the Frontier forum is just the skeleton of the game, with the devs releasing further content to flesh out the game over the coming year. Not ideal, but something that those playing simply have to put up with. The question is, for how long.

Noobs are struggling with it, expecting a lot more, as seen in the promo videos which are nothing like the game btw, and expecting the same gameplay when loading up E:D for the first time. Only time will tell how it all works out. Be nice to hear from anyone else and their thoughts so far.

• I was a Great fan of the old Elite on the BBC Micro,it really pulled me in to their Universe but this time round it all seems to complicated especially docking!
    Now docking took a time to master in the old game but pretty soon you could afford a Docking Computer and you could get on with the real guts of the game,
    I don't know how many credits you have to amass to buy a docking computer in Elite Dangerous,but they should be fairly cheap so you don't have to keep faffing about docking manually,and can get on with exploring and blowing Thargons to bits.I also find that the starting Sidewinder is woefully inadequate for shooting down
    enemies and earning money.I think Braben has missed the point here,the old Elite was about Space Combat this one seems to be about having to learn endless
    keyboard shortcuts (where are the cardboard overlays for the "F" keys which used to be System map,Galaxy map,launch etc).At the moment I certainly prefer
    Crossfire or Freelancer generally.
    Vardek.

Vardek

• A few points to think about,

1. Docking is actually insanely easy. Plenty of good tutorials on youtube regarding docking.
    2. Docking computers are cheap, and available from most higher tech planets
    3. No Thargoids as yet, probably invading some other galaxy atm
    4. Nothing wrong with the Sidewinder either. Don't forget to get the best out of any ship in ED, they need upgrading. The way to make money in a Sidewinder is to catch wanted ships and blow them up. If you hang around a nav point, or go to somewhere where there's mining going on, plenty of ships fly past that are WANTED, and you just collect the bounties on them.

I agree the standard keyboard shortcuts can be long winded, have you tried configuring your own? Don't forget you can reconfigure all the buttons in ED.

• Looks and sounds all like an absolutly premature release ....
    (no idea what forced DB and Frontier to keep this bloody release date 16th of december)

I am used to games "ripen" in time - like the X-series (including X-rebirth :P ),
    but a bit ... dissapointed, that they release something so far ... deprieved from the feature announced.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• I agree it was released too early, that said, regular updates are on the way. It seems this is the way a lot of gaming companies are going these days and Frontier are simply doing the same. Latest figures show around 300,000 sales, so while not everyone is online at the same time, still healthy figures for a game of this type. I'm seeing more and more people online now, and space is becoming dangerous, with plenty of pirates attacking traders in a number of systems, i was slaughtered brutally by someone yesterday.

Clearly i need bigger guns :roflmao: