Double sided texture problem

There are 13 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Gibbon.

• This is now driving me nuts to the point where i have no more hair to pull out. Converted four ships, all work in game, surs are fine, everything is peachy until you look through the cockpit in turret view, inside of my ship is invisible :cursing:

Now a solution touched on in the past has been to look at the MAT file in UTF editor and add the word Two to the Type section to make textures double sided so it ends up like this,

DcDtTwo

It's worked before, used this method a few times but it's not working now. Is it a setting in Milkshape that i haven't clicked on or what am i doing wrong? It's driving me bananas!!!

• what dt_flags do you use?
    you might want to check it as they fit not to every render method

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Okay, didn't know there were options for Dt_flags.

In the MAT library section, this is what i have for my texture,

ds04_tex----------------- Name of texture node
    I
    Dt_flags------------------- 64 0
    Dt_name------------------- ds04_tex.tga ( Reference name for the texture library section)
    Type------------------------ DcDt

Also tried the last setting with Two after it. What are my options for the Dt flags section if you don't mind me asking?

• check it with the models that are working (its just a guess)

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• i dont think so
    backfaces are just a view option
    nothing that gets exported
    next to that FL only cares about the mapping on the faces

i currently dont know what might be wrong if its not that

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• if nothing helps... import the ship and export it again
    sometimes that does miracles

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• This problem is getting stranger by the minute now. Just to put things in perspective. I have four models, all share 1x512x512 DDS texture and a cockpit glass section, same colour obviously. All four models are uniquely named for all their internal parts, only thing they share are the name for the textures. This way i can have 1 texture file for all the models instead of four. All four models show up in game without any problem apart from this see through interior hull nonsense.

As suggested i re-exported all four models, did them at the same time, same procedure for all four, now only two suffer from the problem. Could the issue be with how they are uvmapped for the last two models?

• maybe
    or the Two types do not require shared textures (a new theory)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I've tried virtually every option i can think of now. I've tried shared textures, individual ship mat files, exporting, importing, kind of given up as the only solution is not to bother really with see thru cockpits but to simply have a solid one instead, that way at least everything is as it should be. Still baffled why the Two setting in the Type section isn't working, usually does.

• Well a few days away from the problem and the solution just came to me. Tested my theory and it works very well. Solution is a bit long winded but here goes.

1. I had to make a copy of the model and reverse the vertex order in MS.
    2. Saved the model with the reversed vertexes.
    3. Loaded in the normal model, merged it with the reversed one
    4. Save as new model

Now in game the interior shows up as it should through the cockpit glass without actually having to have the textures double sided as there's no need now. It sounds complicated but takes a couple of minutes to do, so at least i know i can do this on any model now.

• so practically you doubled the faces

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• On the hull section yes, when you look into the model, least it shows up now. This also explains why two of the models worked correctly as this had already been done on them but not on the other eight ships. It also explains why the double sided texture option didn't work as there was no mesh for it to be on. The file sizes of the models is still small, anywhere between 200k and about 600k after the alteration.

The other obvious option is screw the interior and just have a solid cockpit, but not as nice, especially when i have the option to make them transparent then it was just a case of find the solution. Works for me, might help someone else, all is happy in the land of Gibbon...for now lol