What is with that huge wall of repeating Text in the middle of space?

There are 14 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by nothingtown14.

• Hello, just went back to Freelancer after about a decade away to try this new Mod. Well, it has a lot of new touches and looks very nice. Seems a little harder too, which I actually like.
    I appreciate the incredible amount of work that`s obviously gone into this over years and that it is done for free too. Again, thankyou.

However, I must point outa couple of mistakes (in my humble opinion), the first is a biggie.

A huge scrolling wall of text in space.
    1. what is it with that huge wall of text in space when starting out? It just scrolls around and never goes away. I am only a Single Player so I do not need to see this. It`s a TOTAL immersion buster. It could have been put in as a news bulletin out of the way or a Readme somewhere, but not totally inexplicably in the middle of space.

I`m sure the Modder did this so Online Players would be in no doubt about the Rules, but i`m an Offline Player and when in Single Player mode this text should NOT appear. I would say this should not be there even in Multiplayer. I doubt I can continue with this Mod as long as that is there, blowing
    immersion. I am amazed anyone thought it was a good idea sticking that
    there.

Is there a way to remove this and if not, please create an option so we can remove this.

Unremovable ship take off music.
    2.One other smaller point. Whenever, I leave a base in the ship, a little bit of `70s style music plays. It`s ok at first, but hearing it every single time is really annoying. Please remove this or if someone could tell me how to remove this, I would appreciate it.

Sorry for the whines, but I think it`s important the Modders hear it real from a fresh point of view.

Thanks for your patience.

• 2.One other smaller point. Whenever, I leave a base in the ship, a little bit of `70s style music plays. It`s ok at first, but hearing it every single time is really annoying. Please remove this or if someone could tell me how to remove this, I would appreciate it.

D'oh just hit "esc" in the undocking scene........if there only was a way to have more of the GR ship soundtrack's play randomly at the undocking........

I Don't Need To "Get A Life." I'm A Gamer. I Have Lots Of Lives! :D

It can be good rebels like in starwars :thumbup:

Plz visit >>> United Rebels - Portal

Intel i7-4930k| Corsair H80 liquid cooling with 2x Noctuna NF-F12 Industrial | Rog Rampage IV Extreme| Corsair Vengance 32gb 4x8gb| 2x EVGA Classified GTX 980ti SLI| Corsair 1050w silver-80 PCU | about 30TB storage (Seagate Archive) (for p-rat torrents 24/7 when not playing CF offc) | a 240GB Rog Raidr pci-e for Windows 10 Pro upgraded from win7 With Classic Shell to give me the XP/Win7 start menu and a Aero hack to make everything gloss "ish" | all in a NZXT Phantom Big tower (black) connected to a 55" Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y Plasma TV.

• D'oh just hit "esc" in the undocking scene........if there only was a way to have more of the GR ship soundtrack's play randomly at the undocking........

Ah, thankyou, didn`t know that. I got used to pressing F1 for everything. Thnx, one problem solved-ish.

• because your point of view totally reflects that of all the newcomers we will be glad to take this into account.

Y`see, posts like this do nothing to help and only show a pompousness of attitude. I am a new user, trying out a Mod. I could become a rave fan, but when people react sarcastically or rudely to a GENUINE comment that I put down politely and respectfully, then it just puts a bad taste in my mouth and makes me decide to look elsewhere. This is how you lose potential good fans who may even have talents to help improve the Mod itself.

Such pompousness is what ultimately leads to failure from success.

I think it is a totally valid point I am making.

• you just met Spiky, sorry you did...

The big message is there to be sure MP players have no excuses like "I didn't find the rules".

I believe it cannot be simply removed for SP cause systems are the same in MP and SP. Changing one will affect the other and OP (the admin) will not drop the rules in MP i'm 99.9% sure....

sorry if it breaks the immersion at first but you'll see many other opportunities to immerse yourself along the way in CF !!!

Good luck in SP and try MP sometime so you experience the full thing !

• cynicism, deal with it

personally I do not see any genuine comment here nor a valid point

here is a tip: everytime you see that 'huge wall of repeating text' just put your hand over it, problem solved!

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• The rules displayed in New York was my idea actually and is a need for this mod.
    Crossfire was written for Multiplayer purpose. Without the multiplayer and the people on the server this mod would not even exist. Like on every online server there are rules. In Crossfire the most important rules are displayed in New York and that has prevented and solved many problems which in the end has given us the chance to continue our work on the mod.
    You are right, this rules should not be displayed in Singleplayer at all, but there is no way to seperate the Singleplayer from the Multiplayer. Everything is connected. If you change one mode you see the changes on the other mode aswell.
    That is unfortunate but not changeable at the moment.

However... this is just one of ~150 systems.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Actually i would like to see a BIG Hammer like hitting every newcomer here, who jump in game without reading the rulez at forum or without asking ppl around, and to add more to this, i would like to see a BIG Hammer like a Ship which flying around and from time to time hitting peeps in the heads with balloon message above and description in it:

"Read, read, read and make life easier for you and for others around you!"

ps
    OP Can u make this possible in 1.9?

• The rules displayed in New York was my idea actually and is a need for this mod.
    Crossfire was written for Multiplayer purpose. Without the multiplayer and the people on the server this mod would not even exist. Like on every online server there are rules. In Crossfire the most important rules are displayed in New York and that has prevented and solved many problems which in the end has given us the chance to continue our work on the mod.
    You are right, this rules should not be displayed in Singleplayer at all, but there is no way to seperate the Singleplayer from the Multiplayer. Everything is connected. If you change one mode you see the changes on the other mode aswell.
    That is unfortunate but not changeable at the moment.

However... this is just one of ~150 systems.

I do not believe it should be in even just one of 150 systems, it wholly interrupts the game world in a very unimmersive way. Pop it in the game intro splash screen, or a note in the credits- anywhere but in the actually front gameplay area.

I appreciate the response and I understand the reason why you put the text there. however, i`ve dealt with a LOT of Mods in other games and never has anyone ever felt the need to display such text in the middle of the actual gameplay area itself. It has always been important to place such things in a manner where they would not interrupt immersion, even in multiplayer. Most multiplayers know the basic rules as they are very similar in most games. Plastering it all over the gameplay area is a mistake in my humble opinion. All modders I`ve met including myself, have always worked hard not to step into the actual gaming area such as in games like Empire Total War darth Mod where, even though Darth vader is a strong theme, it never once steps into the actual game world.

There is only so much one can do to make people aware of the rules before one begins to become overwhelming beyond reason and therfore a burden to innocent players. I find it strange that no one else seemed to see fit to say as I only recently discovered this Mod.

However, it is your Mod and obviously, not enough people were around to voice that this method was a little too `in the face` of the Player.

This will be my last on the subject as I can tell that, even though, I know my views are good ones, I am already becoming persona non grata for saying these things.

I will say no more on this. Good luck with the Mod.

• Wait...

there's a giant wall of text in space? :O

No...of course, I've seen it...

and i can understand that you feel it breaks immersion...to a point...my honest initial reaction was..."whoa...cool...giant billboards...i wonder what they say in other systems..."
    and i was actually a little disappointed that there was just one.

Considering that NY is the starting system...it's the obvious choice for those rules to be placed...and given the drama i've seen on the forums, even having that glaringly obvious wall of text isn't always enough to make people aware of the basic server rules...but to be honest...once you get your stuff together, and make a little money and get a better ship, you'll find you really don't spend that much time in NY anyway...at least, i don't spend much time there...unless i'm helping noobs find their way out to bigger and better things...

so...while i understand that the wall of text shatters the illusion of immersion...try to think of it as a giant billboard, and not a glaring wall of offensive immersion smashing.

the music on lifting? it was cool the 1st -5th times...after that i was wishing it would play something else too...but...like others...the esc key has saved my sanity (what tiny shreds remain)

all in all...if you can get past these minor immersion obstacles, you'll find that the CF community and the mod in general are both worth immersing yourself in. or...you'll find that you just can't stand some of us and be on your way...i'm hoping you choose to stay. it's always nice to have more active players that are able to intelligently state their case and make their points (even if it's over something that many consider as trivial as the billboard)

glad to have you aboard here at CF, man. see you in space.

(pardon all the babble, i just woke up, and all this typing exercises my fingers for pvp.)

-Z

• So what the OP is saying is that it takes you out of the game experience? It makes you notice that it's there? Makes you read whatever the hell it is?

Mission accomplished? The point of it being there is that you're supposed to notice it, take note of what it says, and follow the rules. It prevents people from pleading ignorance to the rules that they're thinking about breaking. Deal with it.