Disappearing Freelancer EXE

There are 25 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• Ok,this has me stumped. The game has run just fine up till today. When I started the game this morning,I got a "Freelancer can't be found " error message. I re-install the game and it runs, no prob. I take a break for lunch,shut down my computer and when I come back-same thing. I again re-install everything-and it runs. This time,I load a game,run one mish,save and quit. After restarting my computer, the game won't load.OK-THIS time,after re-installing/patching etc,I make a backup copy of the Freelancer exe (after activating the mod). I again run one mission,save and quit,and restart my computer.When the game doesn't run,I copy the Freelancer exe back into the EXE folder...and it runs! I get a "do you want to overwrite" message when copying into the EXE folder but I don't see a Freelancer.exe file in there prior to copying. Is this fixable or do I need to keep copying the EXE file when I want to play? ?(

• Just a shot in the dark but is it your antivirus doing a background scan and quarantining the exe file, maybe due to a recent update of your antivirus software?

Just a thought, hope it helps

• I have had the same peoblem like 10 times since the realase of CF 1.8 and i had it last week too my computer restarted for some stubit uppdates while i was gaming with some friends online and i got that message agein when i tried to click on the game icon on the desktop. It took me like 40 min to to reinstal and go back online and i most give the "anoying error of the year award to this lol" siriously it has to be fixed.. :pinch:

and over to another topic:

Sometimes when i exit the game and re-start the game luncher after a crash and click on the multiplayer button on the luncher it says (problem starting multiplayer ... (E5) what is that abbout and can it be fixed??? cos i think the luncher is kinda buggy cos it may been made in a hurry or shomting can annyone get on this plz. thanx

uh i was kinda hoping somone with more expirience whould figure this out and post it but im throwing my self into the frying pan so dont go too hard on me :thumbup:

and im using windows 7 ultimate maby that have shomting to do with it

I Don't Need To "Get A Life." I'm A Gamer. I Have Lots Of Lives! :D

It can be good rebels like in starwars :thumbup:

Plz visit >>> United Rebels - Portal

Intel i7-4930k| Corsair H80 liquid cooling with 2x Noctuna NF-F12 Industrial | Rog Rampage IV Extreme| Corsair Vengance 32gb 4x8gb| 2x EVGA Classified GTX 980ti SLI| Corsair 1050w silver-80 PCU | about 30TB storage (Seagate Archive) (for p-rat torrents 24/7 when not playing CF offc) | a 240GB Rog Raidr pci-e for Windows 10 Pro upgraded from win7 With Classic Shell to give me the XP/Win7 start menu and a Aero hack to make everything gloss "ish" | all in a NZXT Phantom Big tower (black) connected to a 55" Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y Plasma TV.

Edited once, last by GrandAndreasK ().

• Your E5 error is because your freelancer.exe process in your task manager has not terminated correctly... Sometimes closing FL doesn't completely close FL !!! Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and go to task manager and kill the freelancer.exe process !

• Hi
    You NEED to exclude the Freelancer and the FLMM folders in the Virus Guard Resident Shield,(if you have one) as this will be quarantining the Freelance.exe.
    This happened to me and I use AVG.
    Also you Need to exclude the Freelancer and the FLMM folders from your Virus Scanner. Or each time the scan runs it will Quaranting the Fleelance.exe again.
    Good luck mate :)

In game Characters Molasar,Rasalom, Lestat, Sal_Roma & Crookey 8)

• All right :( I check my quaratine to see if anything is there.Nada. So,I decide to try another mod and see if it happens again. I load up Frontier Space and the same danged thing happens. HOWEVER,this time,I can see a Freelancer.exe sitting in the game directory. It's like the game doesn't recognize it or something. If I try starting the game from CD,I get a "can't start Freelancer" message. Starting from the Start menu,I get a "Windows can't access the file/path/etc-you may not have permission" message. I have had this game a LONG time and have never run into this before. Is there anything I can do?

• OK this is weird.
    I launched the CF launcher just to see if there are any updates and i get the E12 error.
    The update not found message.
    IM connected to the internet.
    I am trying this even as i type

meh.

• Running Windows XP 32bit,Blaster. Well,I do have a workaround at least. Just seems puzzling,is all. Something else that popped up-when doing a install of Freelancer,the setup program says it has to "modify" the Freelancer.exe. Never came across THAT before,either. The EXE file in the game dir is tiny,compared to the one on the cd-rom.

• :) Fixed! It WAS the damnable anti-virus. It was deleting,not quarantining the EXE. Didn't give me any notice at all,either.

• Hellraiser: please check if ur firewall blocks freelancer.exe...

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• Ok-I go home yesterday and it's down again. I DID keep a back-up .exe,so no re-install,at least. Checked my AV settings-no changes there. Then it hits me-the icon on the Freelancer.exe (the Crossfire thingie) is gone. I think that's why I thought the .exe file was getting deleted in the first place. So,to verify it-I start the game with the back-up .exe-no probs. I restart my computer and after the re-boot,open the game dir.Sure as heck,the icon on the .exe file is gone. I replace it again,run my Windows maintance program and then do a chkdsk. After the reboot,the .exe is unchanged.I fire up the game-no problems. So,I reboot YET again..and the icon goes bye-bye. All right-I replace the .exe,and run another chkdsk. It STAYS. As long as I have a chkdsk on the harddrive scheduled.the .exe stays unchanged.If I don't,the .exe gets mulched. Has anyone come across this before??

• Maybe we should upload the .exe here for support, while downloaders add it and the folder they place it to the exception list...

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis