HELP! According to McAfee (Virus protection) there is an "Artemis" Tr

There are 17 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by alfredo.

• trojan in either Crossfire 1.8 or the freelancer Mod Manager I down loaded. Once McAfee removes this the Freelancer.exe file is gone also. Only reinstalling both Freelancer and the Crossfire will make the bloody thing work again. Strangely the mod works beautifully for the first time I play after it's installed. The second time I try to play, the virus software removes the "artemis" trojan and screws everything up.

I've read some earlier threads about CF 1.7 where the virus software was screwing things up but haven't seen anything about this on CF 1.8.

HELP! Crossfire is a brilliant mod and I want to play it!

Thanks,
    Rich

• You'll probably either have to disable your mcafee when you try to play, or whitelist the file(s) that it thinks has the Trojan.

• Good greif. It seems like this mod is just too big and too buggy for me. Every time I load it something goes screwy and I have to completely reinstall everything.

Part of the problem is definately the virus software but even suppressing that if you ever have to remove the mod from the mod manager it loses files somewhere. It takes a LONG time to unpack the mod then reinstall it and hope like heck it works. This is frustrating!

• you need to reinstall THE WHOLE GAME... which means deactivating the mod... deinstalling FLMM... deinstalling FL

then reinstall FL, reinstall FLMM, reinstall 1.8 (at this point I would suggest that you download 1.8 again)

and get rid of McAfee, its like the crapiest anti virus out there :P

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• I have the same issue with McAfail. As soon as CF 1.8 is being installed, McAfail deletes "Artemis!C0C5014C6A32". The piece of shit doesnt even prompt to allow for the option not to take action against CF 1.8. To make matters worse, McFail tech support wants to charge $10 usd for tech support for their suckass product[3]

The problem is that CF will lose many potential players because McAfail is bundled in many ISP service plans in the USA :(

What is a good AV which will work with Vista 64 and Win7 64 and CF please? Thanx in advance.

edit- btw... Artemis is not a CF file. Artemis is the scanner McFail is using.

Yes Burros Do Bite.

Chars: SMG_Burro and derivatives thereof

SMG Forums

• Avira works perfectly with the combination W7 and CF. Usually, the first time you install CF it says that a few files are trojans and shit like that but you can just ignore it and remind the AV to stop popping up (doesn't do that on my vista tho its super annyoing every time I start CF it says ' OMFG SOL.DLL IS TROJAN LULZ')

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• Thx Spiky. I will look into Avira.

Any other ideas on good AV would be welcome also. Thx in advance.

Yes Burros Do Bite.

SMG Forums

• Hey Burro,

We had a good battle a year or so back. I was looking forward to 1.8 for just this sort of reason!

Is there anyway to designate a file as "trusted" under McAfee? That would solve this BS. There's a trusted list but no way of adding something to it that I can find.....

Be Good,
    Rich

• Avast Antivirus is a great virus... and I didn't saw it messing with CF, (more that I deactivated it when instalign CF) but even activated, it says nothing about CF when starting it.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Ahoy Rich, good to see you back

I couldnt figure out that trusted list either. I went for the "free help" chat at McFails. That knob suggested turning off Mcfail for gaming. I asked wouldnt that put my pc at risk? He said yes but it would work. I thought no wonder the help is free because it is worth nothing. But they have listed "help for a fee" @ $10 usd.

So now I am trying Avira on the free 31 days program. So far, Avira seems very good.

The 1.8 looks very cool online so I think it is definately worth the extra effort to get it running. Hope to see you in-game soon :)

Edit- Had a chance to fly around some more, change very cool to Epic . 1.8 is a Must to get working.

Yes Burros Do Bite.

SMG Forums

• Burro, just download Microsoft free anti virus, security essential. It works great and doesn't bug down your computer. And since it's from Microsoft it's perfectly integrated in to win 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

SMG_myric, SMG_RDaneel, SMG_MULTIVAC

Interested in joining SMG? PM me

Those people who think they know everything
    are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

• Since this was developed as an enterprise solution for mycrosoft servers. They just transfered the tech to the consumer side.

SMG_myric, SMG_RDaneel, SMG_MULTIVAC

Interested in joining SMG? PM me

Those people who think they know everything
    are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

• I've got Mcafee till April then I'll switch to Norton or some such and hopefully I'll see you all then.....

Mcafee is the Chrysler of virus software......useless......

• I would highly not recommend Norton, its about as bad as Mcafee, if not worse since it takes up almost all your CPU and ram just to run it in the background. As everyone else said, your best solutions would probably be Avira, Avast, or the Microsoft security essentials. All 3 of those actually work quite will, ive spent some extended time trying out each of those and they all seem to work about the same.

• You talked me into it! Especially since MSE is free and Window XP has a firewall built in. I killed McAfee and loaded MSE and no muss, no fuss, I'm good to go. No warnings or other carp when I loaded Crossfire. I'm in there! Thanks, Rich

• artemis is a new "heuristic " subprogram from mcaffe, wich can detect potencial threats! Its a simple matter of turning off artemis. Artemis is not mentioned in the configuration menu: its called " active protection" and its located in the antivirus configuration menu