Virus warning when launching CF

There are 46 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rockatansky.

• Since today i get a virus warning when i launch Freelancer. I have Avira and it says C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Freelancer/EXE/debuglib.dll and that it's the trojan TR/Downloader.Gen

I'm not too worried, since i just can say it should "deny access" and then it works like usual.

• there are other reports of avira false positives in the CF files:

report 1
    report 2

probably your avira antivir is reporting crossfire as an heuristic detection... meaning that the antivir cannot recognize the file as a virus, but the crypted structure of the file makes it suspicious...
    let me quote myself:

greets

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

Bunny thinks Ed is not as cool as him

• Kaspersky is too havy... better use BitDefender Anti-Virus v10 ;)

• Learn to spell ^^. Anyway that's partially true, it's heavy when it's doing important stuff, but if you don't want your computer to catch a virus in the first day of it's reinstallation: use Kaspersky.

NOD32 is the best in paper but Kaspersky is the best in Performance... at leasy 80% will agree with that (depending on various factors :D)

Live another day

(\__/)

• sudden appearance of a warning should be taken more serious as this file has nothing to do with the CF release

Ive read that some ppl at SP have similar problems with this file... to me it sounds like something is really wrong there and not just a false warning
    problems dont start all of a sudden without reason

either that or there was an update of the antivir which causes these messages

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Now i get that warning as soon as i start the computer, not only when i launch CF.
    Any suggestions what i should do, apart from clicking on the "deny access" button on the warning window?

• Two suggestions since I haven't used that A-V: Find an exception list or change to another Anti-Virus.

And a radical 3rd one reinstall windows.

Live another day

(\__/)

Originally posted by Jack Bauer
    And a radical 3rd one reinstall windows.

Before i do that i throw away my comp and get me a Mac.

• if its a false positive it should be solved in the next updates of the antivir... so update it asap...

on the other hand my avira is not detecting anything wrong with CF, but i disabled the heuristic years ago and it got updated ths morning

if after updating you still get the same reports, you can wait some days till a new update is released.

anyways, to be sure thats a false positive, you should check that file with other antivirus and see if they see it as a virus or not
    there are some that can be used online so you dont need to download and install it...
    you can also use www.virustotal.com, where you can submit the file and it will be scanned by several antivirus engines

(\__/)

• Thanks a lot, Arvedui.
    I ran it thru that website and Avira and Webwasher are the only programs that have a problem with it.
    So, as long as no weird things happen i think it's ok.

• i have avira too and if i have anything to say about it...it sux:everytime i install CF i get some warnings even if there's no virus

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

• Well I can tell you this. If you want to be secured use Kaspersky, it does miracles to your computer and it creates hell for the viruses ^^

Live another day

(\__/)

• avira is not bad at all, however its known for giving some false positives... is for that i disabled the heuristic long ago and i look carefully every positive before deleting the file

it also has a free version, and that is a big advantage against kaspersky (sry jack, i dont intend to prevent you to get your commission from kaspersky labs sellers department :P)

kaspersky is also a very good antivirus, but its also non perfect... in fact i treated some computers on past december where kaspersky did a false positive in explorer.exe and deleted the file with no warning (search in google if you love technical details :P)

to say it fast: windows wont work if you delete that file so i got some work restoring files that should have never been deleted...
    ...that means i got some unexpected bucks thanks to kaspersky labs guys and i wish to thank them for that ^^

(\__/)

• Well I've been using it for what ? 5-6 years now if I'm not lying myself. It has never done anything worse than protecting my PC 100% :D.

Live another day

(\__/)

Originally posted by Jack Bauer
    Kaspersky, it does miracles to your computer and it creates hell for the viruses ^^

You mean hell to your PC yeah... too havy you know :D :D.. in this case... BitDefender and McAfee(VirusScan Plus) are the best Anti-Virus programs ever developed ;)

• Unfortunatly there is no such thing as a 100% fool proof Anti Virus program out there .... i myself use Bitdefender 2008.....does the job well and doesnt hog resources like most.... there is a league table for Antivirus programs starting at the best and working down and they are as follows each product is graded on its ease of use.... Protection Quality....and customer services:-

1) Shield Deluxe

2) CA

3) BitDefender

4) Norton

5) Kaspersky

6) NOD32

7) Panda

8 ) McAfee

9) Trend Micro

For more info and comments on each AV program take a look here:

http://www.2009softwarereviews…er=2GAS&keyword=Antivirus

Civility is not a sign of weakness , Sincerity is always subject to proof

If you would like to join a Military/Police Clan then click on the links below

Home Of Sirius Federal police........www.sfp-crossfire.com

Home of BloodGuard ..... --==BloodGuard==--

A FreeLancers life is a good life

In Game Chars
    [CFPD]DarkLord
    [CFPD]Exterminator