TLR back online

There are 88 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• @ Apollo

Thank you, Apollo, for posting such positive feedback on your experience with SWAT. I'm sure everyone here appreciates the praise of a fellow gaming community, and it means a lot that you took the time to post your thoughts.

Likewise, I am sure that OP and the SWAT team will continue to ensure support for you as long as you need it, with no strings attached. :)

I wish you and your community continued future success! :D

@ Huor

I understand what you mean about 2nd chances M8. But I personally think that Louva has far over-stepped the 2nd chance he could have been given. Racism is inexcusable (imo) and control freaks don't change their stripes in my experience.. But ultimately, his fate is up to who-ever else has some power at TLR, and I really don't give a shit what they do, as long as they stop insulting OP and SWAT.. See you in space soon M8! :D

SMG_Mizibelle, SMG_Spellcaster, SMG_Hellcat

“Being a mercenary... Hey, we just go wherever there's a mixture of money and trouble, and everyone in the galaxy is a potential customer."

• hmmm... Just to be clear, I dont mean SWAT and TLR working as one. I just hate to see friendships damaged.

Trust me I am still very angry at the fact OP was insulted repeatedly over a long period of time and nothing was ever done about it. One time especially sticks in my mind, the one where I think it was strail made a "talking head" image to attack OP because OP told someone hex editing was a poor solution to their issue. I was shocked that such a personal and vicious attack would be tolerated. No moderators nor admins over there had the decency nor courage to stand up and say "that is wrong". Not one damn word.

An alternative such as SWAT must exist because of the potential for further abuse.

@ Apollo, I agree with Mizi, great post!! Thankyou for your support of SWAT :))

Yes Burros Do Bite.

Chars: SMG_Burro and derivatives thereof

SMG Forums

• The conflict that's being discussed here started even before I got involved into FL modding. So, I have no idea when and how it started in the first place, but it's no secret there were hostilities going on around (and inside) TLR during previous several years, reaching their pinnacle in the recent months. Never thought that modding scene could involve such harsh and unhealthy competition, and never encountered anything like it elsewhere. I believe the original cause was the excessive will of many people to show and prove that they have better modding, administration, design, and community leadership skills than everyone else, that the mod/server/site/forum they are running is better than others, getting more downloads or more player attention. Over time it all just developed into personal hatred of certain individuals towards each other. And since the individuals unfortunately appear to be to be admins of FL communities, the hostility spread along community members as well.

Seems that everyone forgot that mods are made to make the game more versatile and appeal to wider player base. Every modder, in theory, should be interested in their competitor's success as much as he/she's interested in success of his/her own mod. Also in theory, ethics should be prevalent in how mod makers treat each other, and constantly referring to own mod as "most", "best" and "THE one" is very far from any ethics. It's for players to decide, and since tastes differ, calling one's mod the best would be true only for part of the playerbase.

Anyway, to more recent events - since arguing about mods is minor trouble compared to what happens now. With TLR down and global server down, it's inevitable that Freelancer will lose a large percent of its previous playerbase. As if it wasn't enough, right now, when TLR is back, we have two communities competiting with each other, and two possible future "global list server" solutions. I was present at TLR chat meeting for a short while. The constant spam that was going on there made any normal discussion impossible. One of Discovery admins was there for much longer than me, and several days later got back to me saying that I should never deal with TLR or their admins again cause they want to put everyone under their control. Never got much detail over what was actually offered about uniting all FL communities within TLR, but it's obvious that any offers that require placing own forums/portals under someone else's administration and under TLR banner is not an option for most FL server owners. The idea, if it ever existed, was dropped shortly afterwards, since right now TLR only offers placing links to server websites and forums. What's wrong with that I cannot see. I also cannot see what's wrong (or surprising) in the fact that rebuilding TLR mod/tool database takes a long time. Lancer's Reactor, despite of technical issues that were present before the shutdown, and even despite the lack of content after it was re-launched, is the place that many people still consider to be the central hub of all English-speaking FL community.

When I got the e-mail from SWAT offering hosting space/updates/other services on the portal, I was quite surprised. There's nothing wrong about SWAT in general, but for a community where members were well taught to praise the work of local moders and undermine (if not despise) the work of everyone else it's quite strange to act as possible TLR replacement. The example is right here. R8R said in his previous long post that generally he'd prefer TLR to exist and prosper, but without Louva in charge. However, in his post dating January 3rd he did not mention his name at all, while still posting lots of negative stuff about TLR. bakedpotato later said that the info provided was mostly lies, yet no one even bothered to ask what was wrong, with everyone busy with endless praising R8R for doing good job, and flaming TLR admins. Since there was no relevant posts on TLR itself describing why was it shut down, the picture is again pretty vague. Maybe bakedpotato should simply post what actually happened? Anyway, returning to the SWAT offer. If I can use SWAT as a host for Discovery mod in addition to TLR, I'd use such opportunity. But what about posting news, or discussing anything in forums? I expect that I would get comments similar to what Crossfire supporters post about Discovery on Mod DB. Humiliation and insults, or at least saying it's inferior to Crossfire. This attitude won't change overnight only because some independent modders/players joined this place after TLR went offline.

As for TLR, well, when one of their admins (or someone posing to be one?) comes here and disgraces himself with petty flaming (don't like theme, don't like tagline) it becomes obvious that something's wrong as well. But it's more related to admins personally, not the site they are running, and not the way they run the site (same can be said about Louva logs, although I have no idea to what they are related. In any case, racist talks, like flames, are a disgrace for a person who's saying, not for those who hear or any nation). A year ago, when I submitted news on TLR that Discovery entered Mod DB's top-100 last year, one of TLR admins was first to accuse me that I did not post about the contest earlier, thus not giving others chance to participate. This secret contest I was trying to hide was running for 3 years before that, and no one ever paid attention. I replied that next year more competition would be welcome. The only competition was Crossfire (thankfully, we were not alone). A few other modders also began to pay more attention to the generous opportunities Mod DB provides. Most others simply ignored Mod DB for a year afterwards. I guess that if similar news would be submitted now, both me and R8R will get accused for concealing the existence of this event once again. But, em, this is called freedom of speech. I may not like it, but they have right to voice their opinion (unless they refuse to post the news in the first place, which TLR never did as long as I remember).

What would be ideal is for the Communities of SWAT and TLR is to work together as independent alternatives to each other. They should support each other and have friendship with each other. The truth of the matter is that there are many Communities out there and people will choose the ones they prefer. Not all will choose SWAT or TLR. SWAT and TLR should work to their mutual benefit as well as the benefit of all of the other Communities out there.

Sounds like an easy solution with one important question never answered. Who's in charge of the GLS replacement now? Since TLR has already posted a solution that works, why not use it universally? Until there's proof that TLR is biased and certain servers are removed/blocked from the GLS alternative by w0dk4, there's not much use in SWAT offering its own one. Fact that some of TLR admins expressed personal opinions in offensive way doesn't mean that they are going to ban anyone from GLS. There is place for two communities, but not for two GLS versions. Double GLS will be a bad thing for everyone.

Problem here is that no one seems to be interested in "peaceful co-existence". Since it's evident that friendship is no longer possible, and there will be competition, could you please leave the GLS in the one capable hands (if they prove to be capable), leave downloads where their authors want them to be, and stop immature and pointless flames from both sides. Thank you.

• Igiss: Thank you for your objective reflection on these issues; it's a welcome change from some of the vitriol already posted! The competition between mods has always been intense, from what I have seen in my brief 2 1/2 years of Freelancing. Some admin's are not as modest as you appear to be, and naturally feel justified in praising the virtues of their work. Unfortunately, some apparently feel the need to belittle the work of others, or use obtuse measures of comparison to elevate their own mod's success. As far as I can remember, Crossfire has pinned its claim to fame as the largest & most complex mod (sheer file size and # of modded files). I am disappointed to hear that anyone from this community made disparaging remarks about Discovery on ModDb or anywhere else:

If I can use SWAT as a host for Discovery mod in addition to TLR, I'd use such opportunity. But what about posting news, or discussing anything in forums? I expect that I would get comments similar to what Crossfire supporters post about Discovery on Mod DB. Humiliation and insults, or at least saying it's inferior to Crossfire.

I occasionally visit the Discovery server myself, because among the multitude of other FL options out there, you have created a very competent admin team, and vibrant RP community. :D I would encourage you to give the SWAT community a chance to show its hospitable side, by posting news of your community in the format offered, and see what happens. Trust has to be earned, of course, but we take one step at a time to walk together toward the desired result.

Hexebelle: nice sig! ;)

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

Originally posted by Igiss

Sounds like an easy solution with one important question never answered. Who's in charge of the GLS replacement now? Since TLR has already posted a solution that works, why not use it universally? Until there's proof that TLR is biased and certain servers are removed/blocked from the GLS alternative by w0dk4, there's not much use in SWAT offering its own one. Fact that some of TLR admins expressed personal opinions in offensive way doesn't mean that they are going to ban anyone from GLS. There is place for two communities, but not for two GLS versions. Double GLS will be a bad thing for everyone.

Problem here is that no one seems to be interested in "peaceful co-existence". Since it's evident that friendship is no longer possible, and there will be competition, could you please leave the GLS in the one capable hands (if they prove to be capable), leave downloads where their authors want them to be, and stop immature and pointless flames from both sides. Thank you.

Why not use it universally?

Because i dont trust the hands that handle it. I give you brief example:

1 week ago Crossfire banner was in the new TLR web, today you cant find it anymore. Check SWAT, cause TLR link is still there. Today is SWAT that dislike TLR admins (same that would handle the GSL), and you see wich is the first reaction, tomorrow could be Discovery or any other...
    What will you say when you will be out of that list?
    Ill be here waiting to hear you.

Check TLR forums and look for any SWAT member flaming there...i doubt you will find any. But as you can see, there is TLR (not simple members but admins) coming here to flame. We just answer...we follow our path...

No offence plz, opinions are allways wellcome here.

• well..

so far i know OP, he did never lie to ppl here, or somewhere else.

i played FL already about one year ago, and did have to make a break (some personal reasons)
    and now, since im back, i had to face, that something did change. good and bad things ;)

but all this is not a reason, to quit playing. no.. the opposite is the fact. its more to see as a challenge. but ok.. i take this challenge and will make the best of it.

and as far this arguing between 'who did what, and who did not'
    its such a bullshit to read those stuff, and see, that there are tries to drop statements from the other side. and also to see, that some ppl try to show, what they did, and try to make other believe, that someone else did not the things they said.

my opinion about it the follow.

if someone still thinks, they are better than someone else. LET THEM THINK THAT. cause, the future will show, how 'good' they are for real.
    and that someone else let themself, getting effort, just by reading words from the opposite, is a thing, we should have LEFT BEHIND US in the PAST (like childhood)

somehow i think the acting here is like in a kindergarden.

it was me, who did it.. NO it was me.. no it was me.. bla bla bla..

the involved people know for sure and that for real, what they did and what the opposite never did.
    so if they want to go ahead and cheating themself...... go ahead.
    BUT PLEASE DONT TRY TO MAKE OTHER PEOPLE BELIEVING YOU ARE BETTER THAN THE OTHER ONE IS.

i still think, who is interesting in finding out, will find out, in which way ever.

it doesnt matter, to the playing people, who did create the mod, they just want to play a working mod, and want to have support (which is helpful) if needed.

sorry, that i do hang my 2 cent in here, and my ass too. but it is too bad, to see, what is going on here.

for myself i can just say. SWAT was there a year ago, when i was start playing this game the first time, and SWAT is still there now, while im getting started again playing a GAME - which is supposed to give FUN to the PLAYERS and not arguments between people who want to dishonor the work of others, and trying to make outstanding people believing things, which can not really be proved to the playing folk. (cause there is so much hard work behind, which a 'simply' player will never really understand)

my little uneducated person, dont know much enough about programming a mod, and so can someone tell me, whatever they want, about it ( i could not say, if it is in this way, or if it isnt)

so to the people who still want to have the best looking statement here and to those people, who still want to make other people believe, they did more, than someone else (i dont mean you OP, i can imagine, what sucking work you have to do)
    PLEASE stop that, so that people who come in here, to find out about the playing people and other stuff, can read sensefull things (more or less) and not this kind of acting like a child is doing.

i thought this age is still in the past of the most people here, and they would know, how to behave and being polite, or how to take the truth and handle facts.

and if someone is getting touched by statements, facts, or arguments in here, they should go back to school, and learn how to get better in things, they want to be better in.
    and also should they learn, how to handle it, if they lost somewhere.

so far..

(if someone wants to have this statement, which is worth less than 2 cents, in german. just ask)

• Hi Igis

I appreciate to hear from you and think that what you said is right in many ways. In some points my oppininion is a bit different coz my information are a bit more detailed there. Maybe some stuff said has to be explained a bit, especially the points about the SWAT Portal. But id like to start with the competition stuff that you mentioned.

It is very much true that the competition between mod creators reached a very high level.
    On the one side i have to say competition is very good for the business. You want that Discovery is successful, I want that Crossfire is successful, Blaster wants his Blaster Universe to be successful, Flybyu is interested in the success of his mods and the rest of the SWAT Portal wants to see the success of the Sol War Project. This competition has lead to major developments in FL modding and it also has lead to a very large scale of different mod styles. So the competition is nothing bad at all.
    On the other side we have the "my mod is the best one" attitude that is known in EVERY community. Crossfire player said something like that in the past and Discovery players did the same.

Igis we speak open here...
    "Discovery... the award winning Freelancer mod"
    "Crossfire the most advanced Freelancer mod"
    that is how we both present our mods and we both are right with what we say. But none of our mods is the best.

In the past years that i was active at TLR how many people have asked "what is the best freelancer mod?"
    My answer always was "there is no best mod, there are just good ones". And when somebody at TLR asked "im looking for feature xzy.. which mod do i use?" then i always posted a long list with mods instead just promoting Crossfire. Its a matter of fairplay.

Since the mod awards 2006 Discovery is known to be one of the best FL mods. Since Crossfire broke every download record on FL its also known that this is one of the best mods. We both never had any troubles with each other nor were there any bad competitions between your communities.
    The mod awards 2007... when the first voting started i have sent out more than 6000 mails to FL players to tell them to vote for their favorite Freelancer mods. I didnt tell them to vote just for Crossfire or another SWAT mod. When Crossfire and Discovery managed to get into the Top100 I have sent out another 6000 mails telling players to vote for these 2 Freelancer mods. I also did some ads on the TLR channel for both and wrote news here at SWAT in order to promote both Freelancer mods. In the end its about Freelancer.

Someone could say now "but OP-R8R announced on TLR not to share his knowledge with us other modders". Right thats what I did. I don't know everything about modding but my knowledge about lancer goes far beyond what many other modders can imagine. I think i was able to prove this often enough with my work and all the concepts that i created in the past. But why wouldnt i share my knowledge? Am I selfish?
    Well i am selfish to the part that i want that my work being recognized as my work. But what happened in the past years?
    One big FL community had the nerves to steal ship models from my mod. Other mod creators simply downloaded my work and made 1:1 copies of the features that i created without asking for permission. Some did even write long tutorials claiming that the Fl code and the feature is their work (while i was able to prove the opposite). One other community had the nerves to take my mod and use it for their own purpose by releasing an stolen slightly edited version and breaking many copyrights this way.
    At this point I said "no... until here and not further, either you ask me and i decide to give it to you and you give proper credits or you get nothing... and my knowledge about FL is for those that showed a good behaviour".
    Well look around... here on this forum there are some very good mod creators. Many known from TLR. They came here because they needed help and we try to do our best to give them our help as long they respect our work.
    I share my knowledge with those that act in a honourable way and i think that those here at SWAT are such ppl.

Many of the mod creators that are at TLR and other communities originally came from here.
    FlybyU - when i met him first he was complaining about CF... "why did you do it this way... you could do that..." lol
    maybe thats why he started to mod and believe me he is an excellent mod creator meanwhile
    eagleclaw - he is currently lurking around here coz he wants ship models from me (i still need to check if there are copyright issues before i can give him an answer)
    rankor - good friend, good modder and excelent modeler
    blaster - experienced modder with good ideas
    brainbug - creator of one of the first FL mods (older than TNG)
    rogue + archkaine
    .... there are so many others and so many other modders of other communities came here to me to ask for help. Many small parts of my mods have been given to other communities already. Next to my mod i have given Blaster and Rogue the chance to develop their mods here. They got modding help, they got information, I did bugfixing for them... they also got websites for their mods and general support.

Basically its the way how ppl act that gives them the chance to learn and to work together with others.

Ok i think i stop here and go on with the next topic ^^

What happens now is nothing new in the world of lancer and its not only about 2 communities. Next to SWAT and TLR there are various other big and old FL communities. Station Network, Planetfiction, Lancernews, LancerHQ and a new community created by Dwnundr. Next to TLR no other community claimed to be more special than the others.... TLR always was "THE OFFICIAL FL COMMUNITY" or "LR = FL". The funny thing is that those other communities are way more active than TLR and that you can go to MS to ask them "hey can we be an official FL community?" and a few days later your site is listed as official FL community. TLR has to accept that they are not FL, that they are not the only FL community and that they dont have the right to do decisions for the entire freelancer world. I was TLR admin and i know what im talking about ^^.

I was online on the TLR chat the days before the TLR meeting... and several days after.
    What i said about louva and that he said he wants to eliminate other communities or integrate them into TLR is no fairytale. I just quoted him. Its something he said 2 hours before the meeting started and similar comments were made in the days before the meeting. There should be many logs showing it.
    Louva started the meeting telling all admins that they have to unite under TLR (his first option). But the communities were not much happy so a 2nd suggestion was made to use TLR has hub for communities with linked forums. Those who have followed the meeting carefully should have noticed that after option 2 has been presented louva tried several times push the first option where the servers and communities had to give up their forums... their sites.. and every bit of freedom. Finally louva presented the 3rd option
    [quote][21:13] Louva-Deus: option 3 is TLR dies and swat sets up his site as the new TLR
    [21:13] Louva-Deus: as he has been spreading in email to all server admins
    [21:14] Louva-Deus: and then the community goes up in flames[quote] ...which is a direct attack against another Freelancer community.

That people which were against the TLR plans have been muted does speak for itself. Louva made big plans for all of us... and everybody which does not agree gets muted or thrown out.
    Just look at TLR now. TLR claimed to be the freelancer community. There i have a question... where in THE FREELANCER COMMUNITY is SWAT? The TLR admin decided that our servers are not part of the FL community anymore... CF has been removed. The TLR admin also decided that our mods dont belong to THE FREELANCER COMMUNITY anymore... or have you seen Crossfire or Blaster Universe on the download pages there in the past months? THE TLR admin also decided that the entire SWAT Portal is no part of THE FREELANCER COMMUNITY anymore by removing several of our FL sites from their banner-link-list. When will be the point when THE FREELANCER COMMUNITY does decide that one of our servers is not welcome on the GLS? Believe me... that is just a matter of time.
    And why?
    Because we have posted chatlogs showing how some ppl at TLR really are, revealing their plans and allowing freelancer players to get an own oppinion based on facts. I am able to prove everything that i said about this issue. If TLR has able to say anything against SWAT and our "bad" behaviour then they are free to do so.

We have invited you and discovery here because we want to build up a future for freelancer players... and a future for those that like to play other genre related games. Nobody tells those guys here to praise anyone and we are open for what other modders and communities have to say. I dont think that anyone said something against another mod here... at least not more than it did also happen on other communities including TLR.
    Im not sure if there is something negative to say about me besides that i say what i think and what i know... not what others want to hear.

BP is a friend. I did talk with him on msn but that long post i made after that had to be made just to show bp what really happened. I told him that i will make this long post and from what i can see he didnt say that those are lies. Basically he didnt say a single word after reading this (and i hope that this is because he is thinking about my words and not that he is pissed at me). If i would be spreading lies then im sure that somebody would be able to prove that.

Igis - BP has private problems... problems that i wont talk about since i dont have the right to talk about it. BP was gone from TLR for months, bp told me that he didnt know what has been discussed at TLR meetings when he was back again since he was not able to attend those. He was not even at this big TLR meeting to see what decisions louva made there. I could show you a discussion on the TLR chat that was just a few days after that meeting where it looked like louva and bp were argueing about those decisions. And i can show you a log from the same chat showing you how louva tried to provoke me there and when bp came online louva suddenly acted like an angel.
    BP cant be everywhere... and bp doesnt know much of what did happen. With my long post i tried to show him what he was not able to see yet because of the reasons i mentioned before.

Why LR was down is pretty simple... something happened that i told bp and eraser one year ago already. Microsoft simply decided to stop the support of TLR. But you are right that the information that has been given out on TLR is very vague. It always was this way. The community was left in the dark.

finito... at this point id like to close this TLR topic here

The SWAT Offer.
    Discovery got the same offer that some mod creators and mods accepted. But before i start here id like to explain a bit about SWAT.
    SWAT is not Crossfire, SWAT is not Blaster Universe, SWAT is not one of the clans. Those are just minor parts of SWAT that have the right to remain inside the portal as long they dont violate the rules and fairplay. I am an admin which is very strict when it comes to serious rule violations. It happened to be that i banned good friends from here because they tried to do damage to others and i also once banned my own clan for breaking a rule here. Fortunatly the rules are pretty easy to follow, you may do almost everything as long you dont cause damage to others. In the end this is a very free and open minded community and our priority is fun.
    Discovery would be accepted like every other mod here. You can submit news. You can present your work on the SWAT mod database. You are free to discuss freelancer related stuff, off topic issues or other games here.
    Like in any other community ppl might argue over something but thats normal and problems get solved in a civilized way. I dont know what happened on Moddb but i can assure you that something like that what you described wont be tolerated here. Its against fairplay and the interest of this community. Just to be sure what you meant ill go there and if something bad about your mod is written on the CF page it will be removed.

Btw. this year many mods tried to participate at the mod awards... many started to update their sites and post news and comments... basically discovery is responsible for the high FL activity at moddb and that 2 mods of a 5 year old game have been voted to the top100. In 2006 when CF was most active I made the wrong decision to say that CF wont attend the voting. Maybe this year hour both mods were able to attract many new players and remind others that Freelancer is still there. But again TLR missed/ignored this chance and i dont think that they will report about it in future.

But to come back to SWAT... we have build up the new portal in a very short time. Not everything is running yet... but that are minor issues which will get fixed in the next few weeks. What id like to see in future is that other communities take part in running SWAT. Id love to see that other communities are part of our team in order to provide a better community for everyone. Those people could help to moderate this place, post news and help players. I also would apreaciate if those SWAT staff members give us feedback from their servers and mod communities. In the end we want to offer a place for players that play freelancer and the other games that we support. Like i said earlier SWAT is a community with own projects. We even develop a new game based on Starlancer as an open community project.
    Freelancer wont live forever so we keep moving and developing stuff for the future.

We gladly would welcome Discovery here but that is a choice we leave to you.

@mizi
    time to calm down again - right? ^^

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Just to correct something:
    The GLS Workaround is not controlled by TLR, only by me. It is also just a workaround, not a good replacement as it lasts longer to show all servers in the server window. (therefore meant as a temporary solution)
    Regarding control: The server submission script is completely automated. Every server you can see at stats.freelancerserver.de is listed.
    I do not plan on delisting servers except for the cause where the workaround or the server running it are under attack and the attacker souce ip matches an FLServer ip.
    (firewall ban will then affect the updating process of that flserver, therefore it would then be delisted after 7 days, as that is the maximung amount of time we save server-player data in the database)

• The GLS replacement is developed by EOA and therefor controlled by louva. He already announced that servers might get banned.

The GLS workaround w0dk4 offers seems to be a good alternative atm since im sure he is a honourable guy which has no interest in abusing it. Therefor i would support it until we might find a better solution or are able to host the original GLS software on a server which works independent from FL

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Well.. this thread has been an interesting read. Personal arguements aside I would like to address some things as a representative of the TLR staff. The following is the absolute unadulterated truth.

• TLR has never, to my knowledge, claimed to be the center of the Freelancer community. Those statements were made by players, developers, and server owners and admins present at the meeting on IRC in December. This is not TLR policy and never will be.

• The IRC chat in december was moderated to cut down on spam, not to silence any opinions. The purpose of the meeting was to determine interest amongst server owners and admins in supporting TLR. We contacted everyone we could get ahold of to come to the meeting. Those that came brought players from their communities to show their interest in the site, and we thank them for their show of support. If any feelings were hurt I am sorry but this was not a planning session, it was only a survey.

• TLR has never censored or limited content. As plans were being discussed for the new website there was talk of changing the kind of news we would post, specifically not posting server announcements. However, the only reason for doing so would be because we think we can offer better methods of advertisement for servers than simple monotonous news posting. Any signs of censorship that people might have misconstrued were a result of our horrible experiences over the last year with mail trouble and a lack of active staff to post news. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

• TLR has, over the last year, had a severe problem with active staff members to run the site and forums. Additionally, the staff that did remain did not enforce the rules very well on the forums. Then there were other more personal issues, which many of you are at least aware of but probably only know some of the details. This led to numerous problems for which we are very sorry. For this reason and others we are completely re-organizing the administration of the TLR site and community to include members in the decision making process. Details of this new administration will be revealed at the next open forum on IRC.

• TLR is not run by me, but by a team of administrators. Decisions made were made with approval and not by one person doing their own thing. Furthermore, I had not been directly involved with administrating the TLR website and community until the last five months, when I was asked by Eraser to help while bakedpotato was gone. Before that I was merely techinical support.

• The decisions to limit what was revealed to the public was made, or so we thought, in the best interest of our community. Over the last five months plans have changed so many times that if we had posted updates on each change the community would have told us to take a hike and went elsewhere. This would not have been a problem normally had these confidential conversations stayed confidential. However, in the future the community will be much more aware of what is going on with TLR since they will be involved in the decision making process. We are sorry for not having been more forthcoming in the past. We have even created a mailing list for server owners and admins to help distribute important information regarding our site.

• TLR has made no plans to take over the global Freelancer community. Not only would it be a wasted effort but it would make a lot of people angry. Many have misconstrued what was said at the IRC meeting and I would like to set that record straight. We have no plans to assimilate or replace any other community. If any site would like to merge with us or join forces in an affiliated partnership that is their choice and we would consider those offers seriously. What I meant when I suggested some options to the community for other sites to join with us was that TLR plans on re-opening its web hosting service to other communities. We are offering this opportunity to any who would like to take it. We can support any HTML/PHP & MySQL based website. Also, we will not remove your hosting for any reason or whim that might cross our minds. Illegal content and actions are the only grounds for removal, as with any other web hosting company.

• TLR has no plans to force other communities to move their forums to our site. Again, if people would like to have a forum hosted here they are welcome to apply. For the rest of the community we are now offering links to their forum communities via our forum. The only rule we have about getting a hosted forum, as opposed to a linked one, is that you do not already have a forum community. There is no point in splitting up an existing server or clan community into two locations. Any forums wanting to move their forum to be hosted by TLR will have to get in touch with us so we can work on importing their user and post database.

• A Global List Server project is being developed by a member of the =EOA= Players Consortium and is nearly complete. However, things have been set in motion to try and acquire the original Zonematch server software from Microsoft so that the =EOA= solution will not be necessary. In either case the concern about servers being banned from the GLS at the whim of TLR is unfounded. The only possible grounds for being banned is if a server is participating in illegal activities (e.g. packeting or hacking other servers). The only reason for having the ability to ban servers is to protect the community at large from hostile groups. Now we can't actually protect anyone, but through this feature we can passively persuade them to play ball.

• Finally, TLR is committed to making all the necessary changes it needs to in order to better serve the global community and to create an environment that people want to be in. For this we need your help, your support, and your willingness to give us a chance to redeem ourselves. We have made many mistakes in the past but we plan on rectifying them and making sure they do not happen again. All we are asking for is a fair chance to prove that we are committed to making TLR a better place.

If you have any specific questions regarding TLR then I ask that you contact bakedpotato, Eraser, or myself directly.

• **okay edited out**

<table border="0" align="center" width="75%" height="40px" cellspacing="0"><tr>
    <td align="left" background="http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9442/swatwj7.png" width="2px"></td>
    <td valign="top" align="center" width="100%" background="http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/401/swatya1.gif"><font face="serif" color="white" size="5">&#191;&#647;&#592;&#653;&#387;&#592;&#623; - magwat?</font></td>
    <td align="right" background="http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6025/swatright.png" width="2px"></td>
    </tr></table>
    <!--<hr width="85%" />

Fix'd.

-->

• magnet, there was no need for that tone, was it?

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• magnet

Your little display above is rather pethitic. You offer Razzes, jokes rather than constructive feedback. Small minds are only intrested in distracting from the truth. Its a shame too.

Op did have issues on TLR, taking members to task in the forums, which was clearly against the rules. He also would not let a mater drop when no happy conclustion was going to accure.

To many would rather heap scorn, instead of peace and working together. Even working in two differnt sites, side by side, has not been considered by SWAT. For the sake of Freelancer, much is wasted.

My Nickels worth.

Even working in two differnt sites, side by side, has not been considered by SWAT.

I'm pretty sure thats not true FD. We still link to you -- you guys don't link to us.

• @ Louva: It's good to see a concise, considered summary of TLR's status from a staff member. An analysis like this posted prior to the IRC meeting would have helped considerably to put attendees in the proper frame of mind for a rational discussion, as opposed to what actually occurred.

Hopefully you can see by now that we at SWAT are working at increasing the availability of FL resources, irrespective of what LR does. So contrary to Finalday's complaint:

Even working in two differnt sites, side by side, has not been considered by SWAT.

this is exactly what is happening now; two different sites. I'm not sure what is meant by "side by side", but it seems to me that diversity is a good thing, and the differences between the two will most likely complement each other, if we can just jettison the rankor. [1615]

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

• @ Magnet

I'm with Haegar and Blur, that was no good m8.

@ Finalday

"peace and working together. Even working in two differnt sites, side by side". Sounds like a good plan. Friendship and mutual respect are always the best path :))

@ Louva

I apologise for my insults against you in this thread.

Yes Burros Do Bite.

Chars: SMG_Burro and derivatives thereof

SMG Forums

TLR has never, to my knowledge, claimed to be the center of the Freelancer community. Those statements were made by players, developers, and server owners and admins present at the meeting on IRC in December. This is not TLR policy and never will be.

24th November
    [20:47] Louva-Deus: TLR is the biggest name out there related to Freelancer
    [20:47] Louva-Deus: we're linked by Microsoft even
    [20:48] SWAT_OP-R8R: like many other FL pages
    [20:48] SWAT_OP-R8R: dont think you are the only one that is active

other TLR staff member made similar and partly worse comments in the past

The IRC chat in december was moderated to cut down on spam, not to silence any opinions. The purpose of the meeting was to determine interest amongst server owners and admins in supporting TLR. We contacted everyone we could get ahold of to come to the meeting. Those that came brought players from their communities to show their interest in the site, and we thank them for their show of support. If any feelings were hurt I am sorry but this was not a planning session, it was only a survey.

I represented serveral mods and servers. I was muted. And I didn't spam.
    In the same way other community leaders were muted. And in the end Freelancer is more than just a few server owners and everyone should be heard because obviously the decisions made are about the future of everyone and everyone has to obey to those decisions.

TLR has never censored or limited content. As plans were being discussed for the new website there was talk of changing the kind of news we would post, specifically not posting server announcements. However, the only reason for doing so would be because we think we can offer better methods of advertisement for servers than simple monotonous news posting. Any signs of censorship that people might have misconstrued were a result of our horrible experiences over the last year with mail trouble and a lack of active staff to post news. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The decision to limit news was done at the last TLR staff meeting that i did attend. I still have the chatlog. From that day the amount of news heavily decreased. Several Community members and server owners came to me coz they thought i still would be a TLR staff member complaining about this issue. Some of them even opened an thread on the TLR forum about it. Im not going to judge about someone coz they didnt have the time but I at least would have expected that decisions are explained to the community by those which made them.

TLR has, over the last year, had a severe problem with active staff members to run the site and forums. Additionally, the staff that did remain did not enforce the rules very well on the forums. Then there were other more personal issues, which many of you are at least aware of but probably only know some of the details. This led to numerous problems for which we are very sorry. For this reason and others we are completely re-organizing the administration of the TLR site and community to include members in the decision making process. Details of this new administration will be revealed at the next open forum on IRC.

good... I hope that evolvement can really take place in the interest of a part of the FL community.

The decisions to limit what was revealed to the public was made, or so we thought, in the best interest of our community. Over the last five months plans have changed so many times that if we had posted updates on each change the community would have told us to take a hike and went elsewhere. This would not have been a problem normally had these confidential conversations stayed confidential. However, in the future the community will be much more aware of what is going on with TLR since they will be involved in the decision making process. We are sorry for not having been more forthcoming in the past. We have even created a mailing list for server owners and admins to help distribute important information regarding our site.

Decisions about the future of a community and the future of other communities which are connected should never be confidential and this decision has been turned out wrong like i said at that meeting. Here at SWAT every decision and plans have been shared with the community and partly discussed to a large extend.
    Im looking forward to see the changes at TLR regarding this policy.

TLR has made no plans to take over the global Freelancer community. Not only would it be a wasted effort but it would make a lot of people angry. Many have misconstrued what was said at the IRC meeting and I would like to set that record straight. We have no plans to assimilate or replace any other community. If any site would like to merge with us or join forces in an affiliated partnership that is their choice and we would consider those offers seriously. What I meant when I suggested some options to the community for other sites to join with us was that TLR plans on re-opening its web hosting service to other communities. We are offering this opportunity to any who would like to take it. We can support any HTML/PHP & MySQL based website. Also, we will not remove your hosting for any reason or whim that might cross our minds. Illegal content and actions are the only grounds for removal, as with any other web hosting company.

contrary to this are statements like this:
    [18:29] Louva-Deus: so if you eliminate the server forums...
    [18:29] fire_wolf_br: what hours is now? 7:30pm in gmt?
    [18:29] BullDogg: 5:30 gmt
    [18:29] Louva-Deus: they all have to come back to tlr

various other statements similar to that above have been made and in the past months there were various comments against other communities, other mods and other lancer related projects on the TLR channel made by TLR staff members. That option 2 has been choosen instead of option 1 which included the merging of all FL communities with TLR is just a logical choice considering the server owners and modders were not much happy with option 1.
    That an the fact that the new TLR already tried to control what is going on with other FL communities... just by removing SWATs existance makes me worry.
    In the end its easy to say "we dont want to do it" but when all power is concentrated on just a few ppl the abuse of this power is very very likely. And i dont think i need to remind somebody on the abusive stuff that already happened.
    If we can expect fairplay in future then everything will be fine... but if our worries turn out to be reasonable then i dont want to be the one which has set all the money on one single horse.

# A Global List Server project is being developed by a member of the =EOA= Players Consortium and is nearly complete. However, things have been set in motion to try and acquire the original Zonematch server software from Microsoft so that the =EOA= solution will not be necessary. In either case the concern about servers being banned from the GLS at the whim of TLR is unfounded. The only possible grounds for being banned is if a server is participating in illegal activities (e.g. packeting or hacking other servers). The only reason for having the ability to ban servers is to protect the community at large from hostile groups. Now we can't actually protect anyone, but through this feature we can passively persuade them to play ball.

Once trust has been broken its hard to gain it back. Thats a major issue with this topic.
    We also try to get hand on the original GLS software but to exclude every reason for ppl to say that we abuse our powers we were going to hand it over to a server/community which has absolutly nothing to do with Freelancer. We already have a server in mind that could host the gls. The best is if nobody in FL has the chance to touch the GLS and im not aware that in the past 5 years Freelancer servers were attacked by hackers.

Finally, TLR is committed to making all the necessary changes it needs to in order to better serve the global community and to create an environment that people want to be in. For this we need your help, your support, and your willingness to give us a chance to redeem ourselves. We have made many mistakes in the past but we plan on rectifying them and making sure they do not happen again. All we are asking for is a fair chance to prove that we are committed to making TLR a better place.

You and TLR will get this chance. But you need to understand that there are many other big FL communities and that you cant make decisions that have effects on the entire FL world without involving those communities. You have to understand our worries and you need to accept that we are critical towards stuff that we are forced to.
    Once the mistakes of the past stop... once we can see fairplay from TLR towards all others then you will see that such chatlogs will stop to appear and that the comments will also stop. But in the end it depends on your guys.

Final
    i have done nothing that was against the rules... especially nothing that has something to do with other members

And the statement that SWAT was not willing working together with TLR or help TLR is also not true.
    Several times i have offered to help and provide a high end webserver just for TLR.
    I also corrected mistakes on the new TLR page by telling the TLR staff about lancersreactors history (I know that site from its beginnings).

and finally I need to excuse for magnet... he is still young and has much to learn
    hot headed ^^

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    and finally I need to excuse for magnet... he is still young and has much to learn
    hot headed ^^

[blushes] :P

[SIZE=1]off-topic: i got a new avatar :)[/SIZE]

<table border="0" align="center" width="75%" height="40px" cellspacing="0"><tr>
    <td align="left" background="http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9442/swatwj7.png" width="2px"></td>
    <td valign="top" align="center" width="100%" background="http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/401/swatya1.gif"><font face="serif" color="white" size="5">&#191;&#647;&#592;&#653;&#387;&#592;&#623; - magwat?</font></td>
    <td align="right" background="http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6025/swatright.png" width="2px"></td>
    </tr></table>
    <!--<hr width="85%" />

Fix'd.

-->

• @Blur Swat's link is back on lancers forum page.

As to working side by side, thats more of a statement, of co-existing, not nessisarily working literally together. But both sides need to let the past go, and move on. Literally, write off the wrongs, and start fresh. Other wise old wounds will only stir up more damage.

Just a hope