Tight budget and need new computer

There are 23 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by supercars.

• I am a High School student and if i had $500, and i wanted Computer mainly for gaming...what brand and what would i want with it just for gaming necessities. I'm in the US and my parents most likely wont get it for me for X-mas!!! can someone point me in the right direction???

• I buy all my comp stuff from either http://www.newegg.com or http://www.zipzoomfly.com , but Dell also has adequate starter setups. Amazing what $500 will get these days!

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Character names: Centaurian_Alpha & CA derivatives
    Founder: Independent Operators' Consortium (established 2006)

• Hmm... I've got a Dell but I wouldn't recommend it highly if you're trying to get the best bang for your buck. They allow you to customize your order, but for many features they'll gouge you a good $50-$200 or so. It adds up very quickly. A friend of mine that used to live nearby used to build his PCs with parts he bought and put together himself - usually could come up with something rather respectable on a $400 budget. I've never done such a thing though and I don't know how feasible it would be for you, but what you're looking for can certainly be done if you go about it the right way. :)

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• I know this is not the solution you are looking for but for that cash you should buy a console, XBOX 360, Wii or PS3. You will meet the best of games with that.

500$ is not that much for a nice PC setup specially for gaming if you consider that the best graphic card allready cost that much...

If you really want a nice PC for gaming i suggest you to save some more money or even get a part time job until you reach the 1000...you will double profit the PC in that case cause you would have earn it by yourself. I know you are thinking "you guy talk like my dad" but maybe you can arrange something with him like: If i work and earn 500 you let me another 500 or something like that...I could work that way m8.

• @ Damien
    i already have a 360. what your saying is if i make a deal with my folks, then they might think about it?

@ Cunningham
    i could get a fairly decent computer from dell for $400, depending on what you get?

• according to some sources (i'm not gunna name names...you know who you are ;) ) that if i want mainly gaming, i want to go for speed. those sources also say that

• Dude, check the specs; 2.66 GHz is plenty for a gaming machine, and you likely can OC it another 10-20%. I have a 3.0 GHz machine, with no OC'ing, and it rocks just fine, with a lower bus speed that the one specified above (mine = 800MHz bus, above = 1.33 Ghz bus). My RAM is also slower than that machine, so you will be in great shape for cheap!! :D

My rig: i3-4130 Core Duo (3.4Ghz), Gigabit GA-B85-HD3 mobo, 8Gb PC1600ram, Samsung 2x 80Gb SATA RAID, Intel Integrated graphics, 3 optical drives, 23" Asus HD monitor + peripherals

Originally posted by portalearth
    according to some sources (i'm not gunna name names...you know who you are ;) ) that if i want mainly gaming, i want to go for speed. those sources also say that

Originally posted by Centaurian
    Dude, check the specs; 2.66 GHz is plenty for a gaming machine, and you likely can OC it another 10-20%. I have a 3.0 GHz machine, with no OC'ing, and it rocks just fine, with a lower bus speed that the one specified above (mine = 800MHz bus, above = 1.33 Ghz bus). My RAM is also slower than that machine, so you will be in great shape for cheap!! :D

+ it's Duall Core :p [10]

[6]

• It's amazing how cheap are the desktop component's these days.

a console is not really a PC, we all like to use msn, listen mucsic and some other thing's that you will not make same way in a console.

I think you can set a very good gaming PC for about 600 Euros (of course these only if you assemble it yourself).

I think that the best options is allways between the midle and high performance and price, because the last top hardware is allways overpriced.

eYf-Bb3kqDGZowNom6-Xa5yH0mydz8mBks6wgxw14TQ5NwEJBwfq4f1yRZFAlDX2qQ1-L2f4dN_jPCc4gHS39_4_KEcGf2rKKAIS9lt8znRUc0bbwU4HNGMbSmj-T1tQKW2T0FKHNMXYsHEHc4Qagn3xOVsBjwqOdFH4JyoGcTZdqMwXHFy76r9Fmny4UKT5zjWLQpDkuPo04jpg8sBGnCda4adtRxGHGbDw62IeEFT0WCu_go8lDBHh0WtGmPobfV87RVBaEqL3EGKAaPPRkjp-CR4J4phrjQzZQ2VUtg_-y5LTVcuqnCQugz3jfjP7xQqfvKNkjyMHKU9r4sV_D9IcYmVpYHXZ8ahWfGhesJkd0J8qCXtHRCwhnoMSF31z-piViN7S8MprdxmNA5irBMSB2cjAswp9SVe6wiATbaZEJG1bXg7_LbTVfiytOpYeKWjeQtra39Duhqgml8OV_4sQbY6hoi84NZ_mUayUfNOcCWuOlrLas3DPtvqq0cEfGOV-N6jSPssgvTCKTU4Y9OD8vIz14HCDKBAwi7NnvilwamcVEXqM3kH8YjIYyHtDaf7d8wY5caOUu4Y1AWfmJlZKMcVidj_K2RLYI_XQT8AQe3FnXn_-0fQfB2CPwbeJl_F7Nx-JLwk40KkWAON4x4TXBCq-rw9dmoLGDoS8ftamBKX9EZUxxbPSwuWzIU-ZviAWliUP_mLn8ILYZ-tt4SEnb5sUJkI0GWlLakmDHOwHtH3zAw8O0gt-wuCZCS5vGpuxt9tRDWS1_cIXvZML-ZRrZAHv0mig99hrUX4UMKGoM7FvaIiqnDDZPKMKJO8rA6jAx58nLCki-Xg8ci6ke5uspV7aCUQOmh6U3sZd5Z7acqvypYBAIo8lOMYpbCWRVqdyzaxTA_BdhKN_2OZ3aUK7qkATbEDHMxeu5d_NyqurxvYno5p-zBhnKVT6MNXRE2EpJq1cacTU9WuPNYWJSSF8kAw0_kS8QHURYgbHXpfRKENjBHUaV9h2jA=w348-h200-s-no?authuser=0

Originally posted by Argos
    I think that the best options is allways between the midle and high performance and price, because the last top hardware is allways overpriced.

...and it loses it's value rapidly as months pass.

We sit together,
    The mountain and I,
    Until only the mountain remains.

- Li Po

Originally posted by goodone

...and it loses it's value rapidly as months pass.

And there will be something newer then wich you would want to have so all in all price will stay the same

Argos

Portal has a budget of $500 and 600Euro's will be around $885.60

:o

[6]

• as of today...my computer has these specifications

CPU: Pentium III ~860 Mhz
    Graphix: Nvidia Gerforce 2 64 mg ram
    RAM: 512 (my dad says he put in 1 gig but it didnt work too well)
    Moniter: Dell P991 17in CRT
    HDD: 20 gig
    Drives: 1 CDRW Hi Speed, 1 Dvd play
    Sound: Creative Soundblaster LIVE

see how crap it is?

• O_o

Its not that good, no - how old is it 6-7 years???

Recommendations:
    + Buy ur own parts, fit together
    + Buy a cheap Dell (cheap as hell)
    + Heavily upgrade ur current PC - may be difficult as you'd probably need everything ^^

• Your best bet is to buy the package Sev posted, but it looks like you will need a new power supply, and you will need a new HDD, at least 80 Gb. I have the same sound card, so you're good there, and you can still use the same case & optical drives, and get by with your current monitor for now, but I'm guessing you also need to upgrade to WinXP/SP2, if you haven't already done so. So now you've just added $80 (US), not counting WinXP & shipping... Still, you get a rockin' gaming outfit for $600!

• If you're on a budget..... just buy a basic dell system (you'll get your operating system and all the basics to make it run, and a monitor), and then upgrade it with the parts you want. My idea was always to get the unit so it will run, and then get it to how you want it.

Alternatively yeah, build your own. But it can be a pain, and you have to fork out for the operating system too.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    - Attributed to General George Patton Jr