EVE Online is for Gankers....

There are 27 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Azadur.

• Well, after playing a while EVE is just the same game I played when I beta tested. A game for gankers, at least half of the population in it. It would be situation where you could be 6 high level player vs 1 low level. Thye just like easy target. The problem is that if you are low level char you wont be able to catch up a high level player. Usually, high level player who choose to play the pirate role fly toguether with beast ships and only get on low level player with some high value stuff. The reason, eventhough is easy to make money in eve, high level ships plus technology are too expensive so most of the gankers take on only low level player.s The security status in EVE is a joke and you can not show your true player skill becuase you will never be on equal terms to high level character. Bounty for gankers are too low since they dont get on other players with the same high level. Kill rights (as they call your right to kill someone who has kill you) is another joke since they just last for a month & dont even give a chance for a low level player to get even with the high level killer becuase it take too much time to train skill eventhough they keep trainning offline.

Bad part, I bought an account for a year which I regret becuase Jumpagate is far more better game than this one. I should have known better when I got back into a mouse & clcik game with offline trainning skill. EVen Earth & Beyond was better game but lack of graphics and appearences that EVE has kill Earth & Beyond slowly.

[4] Don't argue, [3] Just do it

• So you would recommend Jumpgate over Eve?

I havent played either of the games so i would like a first hand information, tnx.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Cpt.Gonzo [/SIZE] [/SIZE]

"Buy the ticket, take the ride!"

• I play EVE, it's a *very* good game if you're into complicated trading and working for months to get a god-like ship. It is true there are no level restrictions on combat, and it has one of the steepest learning curves of any game I've ever played. But if it's your "thing", it is an excellent game.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    - Attributed to General George Patton Jr

• If you like point and click game with nice graphics and good economy, EVE is for you. But f you like to have the control of your ship and playing freelancer style with a joystick and some true dynamics-real physics implications, Jumpgate would be your game. Both have difficult learning curve while one like EVE is more mechanic, JG is more intuitive. However, if you choose JumpGate, I suggest to play for the new one that is comming by next year.

[4] Don't argue, [3] Just do it

• Yeah, I personally am more into tactics and plans than dogfighting. EVE suits my play style, I'm on a trial account atm, but I'm just transferring some funds to paypal and then myself and my younger brother are upgrading to paid accounts. I'm training my character up to be a covert ops pilot, and my brother is a miner. I've always been good at the intel gathering/infiltrating thing on all games, so should be interesting ^^

• tactics were a very big part of jumpgate
    nobody really wanted to get killed in order to build up chars from the scratch
    to die was no real option in jumpgate since it took ages to get the equipment again

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Yeah but what I mean is that EVE is more in depth, it's more technical and intricate. I prefer a massive game like EVE, with all it's mechanics.

It all depends on what type of game you enjoy to which you prefer. Same setting, different styles.

• honestly... jumpgate had a depth equal to eve
    maybe the universe was not that big... and the game engine was older ... ok
    but the possibilities and the realism of jumpgate was fantastic

and im not saying this coz a played jumpgate for a very long time
    i did play both games and build up clans/guilds in both (yes SWAT clans were present in those games aswell)

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I guess I'm just a fan of point-and-click games ^^

• Ok, this is why I like EVE. I bought a Caldari Blackbird class electronic warfare cruiser last night at 11:55PM. I'm in a new courier and mining corporation, only 4 members atm, and my role is light courier duties, tactical support and intelligence gathering.

For those that haven't played EVE Online, when you die, that's it, your ship is gone. Once and for all. For good. You have to replace the ship if you die. This is what makes it so much more realistic, because people are more reluctant to throw themselves into combat, they think it through first. I know this is true of other games, but you get Titan class motherships in this game that can wipe out an entire armada of 250+ ships in a single shot, called a "Doomsday" weapon.

So, heres a timeline to show the brutality of this game ^^

11:55 PM: Bought a Caldari Blackbird class cruiser.

12:30 AM: Did some mining in my cruiser.

1:00 AM: Went to bed for the night.

7:30 AM: Woke up and logged onto EVE.

7:45 AM: Set off on a journey to a station located 6 systems away, in order to sell a small frigate I had docked there to generate some extra cash.

7:58 AM: Warped into the 4th system on my route, and was intercepted by a player in a battleship.

7:59 AM: Battleship disrupted my warp engines and closed in to weapons range.

8:00 AM: I shut my engines down and held position, ready to surrender to the battleship.

8:01 AM: Battleship opened fire, no words exchanged, no quarter given. I returned fire, and we had a firefight for a couple of minutes before my cruiser was too badly damaged to offer any resistance.

8:04 AM: My cruiser burst into flames and disappeared in a flash of light. 3,255,000 ISK lost.

8:05 AM: Battleship locked weapons onto my escape pod and killed my character.

8:06 AM: I respawned in my clone at my home base. Total losses of 3,340,000 ISK.

Now *THAT* is an infuriating game. But I *love* it ^^

Originally posted by Ryzune
    I guess I'm just a fan of point-and-click games ^^

Moneky Island anyone?

Interesting to read reviews of EVE - it was one of my options when I got my own broadband connection - but for some reason I opted for Crossfire as I had already played the Single Player

But still - I look at it thinking what could have been (sigh)

The other one is X2-X3 - and I see Gal rates X3 quite highly too.

EVE must have something as a lot of people are into to it - Ryzune, I hope I can rely on your advice if I ever go down the EVE route :-)

• I have advice! When you buy Blackbird cruisers, take out an insurance policy before you go *ANYWHERE*. If I had done that I would not have had such a serious loss. :D

*EDIT* Another bit of advice is never annoy the pirates.... I've been attacked 3 times so far, and I've lost 2 Frigates and 1 Cruiser to them so far, total damages of close to 4,000,000 ISK.

• Eve, is one of the truly great games that I think will stand the test of time. The mechanics of the game are to marvel at. The MNarkets, skills, graphics, etc...
    While yes,it can be said that a more experienced play is hard to catch up to, but not impossible. Provided they (basically) mess up. ~Meaning, caught off guard, don't log on to select new skills to train, run into a hunting group.~ and some other thing which I just cant remember right now. Put in perspective, if you played moderately over a year, how in the hell would a brand new player be able to cause any real harm to a well developed time tested veteran? Thats like saying I start a new company today, and I put IBM out of business next week. Come on~
    Any game that you spend time on, rewards you in that way, your char get tougher, better equipment, more understanding of how things work, etc.... (besides IBM could crush me if they want. :P)

Now, I can't claim to have played JG, But have played Freelancer, Eve, Starlancer, WingComm, Freespace I & II, and a host of other. Each is great, but eventually faded. All things will. As for right now, I would tell you, tell anyone.....

**Get a 14 Day Trial Account on EVE, Play it.! Join a corporation, work as a team, Enjoy it** Stick with it if you like it

Well there's my soap box stand for the 2min alloted time.
    I think I'll go check out JG, see if it's any good?.....Not tried that one yet.....

Originally posted by Dustdevil

**Get a 14 Day Trial Account on EVE, Play it.! Join a corporation, work as a team, Enjoy it** Stick with it if you like it

Ok okay OKAY

You have Ryzune have tweaked my interest - how do I infact do this?

• You go to www.eve-online.com and click the big shiny button that says "14 Day trial" on it. You then make an account, download the client, and try it for 14 days ^^

The only downside is trial accounts can only fly ships up to the size of cruisers, but this wouldnt matter anyway as training is done in real time.

• Cheers Captain - will give it a go when I get some free time this weekend I hope.

I assume I can rely on you for newbie hints and tips?

• I have knowledge?

<.< >.>

What gave you that idea? o.O

All I do is fly around in my industrial class Minmatar Hoarder cargo ship :P

• Well I got it last night - a huge download 700 MB or something.

I will give it a go over the next few weeks and post a newbies guide to EVE when its over.

By the way - what is a Ganker?

• A ganker is someone who kills other players, usually ones weaker than them, and oftentimes without warning.

Wikipedia defines it as:

Ganking is a type of griefing in online roleplaying video games which employ player versus player combat (especially in MMORPGs such as World of Warcraft or Guild Wars). Ganking may involve attacking another player without warning; more specifically, doing so while the targeted player is already engaged in combat with a game character, usually meaning they're distracted and/or their health has been compromised. Ganking is not considered an honourable practice in MMORPGs, since the ganker is winning a fight they might not have won in circumstances where those participating in the PvP (player versus player) combat had an equal chance of winning. Essentially, ganking involves engaging in a battle where the instigator of the fight will certainly win.

*EDIT*

Ganking occurs on many games. I play Anarchy Online and EVE Online, and gankers are present in both games. In Anarchy however, players can only attack other players within a certain level range from their own level. In EVE, anyone can attack anyone. This results in powerful pirates armed with a battlecruiser, or sometimes a small fleet, will lie in wait for weaker players, and then destroy them without warning, taking the kill and the players leftover cargo with them.

However, I disagree that this can always be defined as ganking, because it is a part of the game and is more realistic. The players that do lie in wait usually do so in low security systems, which means the newer players should stick to the high security systems. I don't see their practices as ganking, simply piracy, which is a part of the games roleplay.

Originally posted by Ryzune
    A ganker is someone who kills other players, usually ones weaker than them, and oftentimes without warning.

Well if you said the above - then added

"Then runs away before the cops arrive"

I would happily accept it as a desciption of my own activities.

Maybe I am Gank Supreme or something?