News categories list

Jul

There's a lot of things on sale today at Amazon.com, but our pick of the day is the Wing Commander Academy television show on DVD. It's $10.99, which isn't a special sale price just for today, but it does match the lowest it's been at for the past year. Academy is a spectacular story that follows our favorite pilots across thirteen episodes at the academy and aboard the Tiger's Claw. Since it was delisted from Peacock last year, the DVD remains the top way to pick it up today. And for folks looking for the absolute best deal, Academy is on sale at Deep Discount as well. It starts at $9.62 and then coupon code "SUMMER" knocks it down to an impressive $8.18. However, shipping adds a couple bucks back and takes a bit longer than Amazon, so pick the best option for your situation!

Aug

Our archivists have been hard at work! Earlier this year we acquired Wing Commander Prophecy producer Billy Caine's archive of production documents; this consisted of seven folders containing hundreds of pages of internal documentation covering Wing Commander Prophecy's development from March 1996 to November 1997.

These documents, divided into the seven topics below, include correspondence, internal documents and reference material that Billy felt it was important to preserve physically at the time. All aspects of the game's development are touched on, but one document that will be particularly exciting to fans finally explains the intent behind the Aligned People and how it would have played out in future games! There are several early pitches and a long term product plan that includes never-before-seen summaries of canceled projects like Wing Commander 6, 7, Maniac Missions and the first person

Aug

AllTinker has been hard at work making progress on his Confederation project to enhance the WC1 engine. He's put together this new status update with a handful of tantalizing new screenshots to share for the birthday. Enjoy!

Hi all, I was hoping to have a playable test ready for the CIC birthday, but a few too many things have gotten in the way sadly... I've made a lot of progress on my format-reading library; I have a fairly short list of things I want to wrap up before I put it (and the viewer) up on github - it may be after the first Confederation test release, I'm not sure.

Art-wise one silly thing I realised was that my old widescreen redraws hadn't taken into account the non-square pixels in WC1/2 (being 320x200), so I've also been redrawing those to be even wider, to match my original 21:9 widescreen goal - at the proper original aspect ratio this time. Here's a selection of those

Aug

FekLeyrTarg has a beautiful remaster to share with fellow Wingnuts today. He's gone through the Wing Commander Academy game soundtrack and overhauled it with an SC-55 sound font. This is described as giving the game the "Kilrathi Saga treatment" based on the digital audio enhancements that those games received. He's matched up the new tracks with the appropriate in-game clips in a wonderful YouTube vid below. You can also separately download the new album in MP3 (18 meg zip) or WAV (131 meg zip).

Happy 25th Birthday Wing Commander CIC!

What if the PC game "Wing Commander Academy" (not to be confused with the animated TV-series) received a Windows port like the "Kilrathi Saga" version of "Wing Commander I" and "Wing Commander II - Vengeance of the Kilrathi" and George Oldziey re-orchestrated the music again? Find out in this video.

To render each music track with Patch93's Roland SC-55 soundfont in

Jul

Mac's Excal Excels

Mac is celebrating a new version of Blender with a fancy new render. He's taken Klavs' fantastic Excalibur model and infused it with some very complimentary lighting effects. It's even a good proxy for the Temblor strike aftermath!

macs_lore53t.jpg

Blender 4.2 is out! You know what means? New Eevee Rendering! Which means new ways for me to light stuff without having to go into Cycles! Yay!

Eevee? Autocorrect mishap or pet name for his favorite fighter? I'll leave that for you to decide!

Jul

Narrarrol is looking at making a Spanish language Wing Commander game in the M-Space RPG. There's not a ton of information available yet, but the base game looks like a pretty flexible framework that would allow for moddability with WC assets. There's also historically not been very many non-English role playing games out there, so we'd love to see some fans get together and figure this out! If this sounds like something up your alley, let Narrarrol know on Twitter.

m-space_wc1t.jpgm-space_wc2t.jpg

Investing night hours in a space hunting card game with classic inspiration. KF-227 Salthi of the Kilrah Empire (or Kilrathi Empire) still under construction. #juegosderol #rol #ttrpg #mspace #wingcommander

Jul

Jul

In the Wing Commander I & II guide, Spirit ever so briefly mentions that all-women combat missions are normal… but that they weren’t allowed in 2638, sixteen years earlier. This probably seemed progressive in 1991 when the US military did not allow women to fly in combat at all. But by 2011, the USAF was flying all female combat missions a few centuries ahead of schedule!

all-women1t.jpgall-women2t.jpg