News categories list

Apr

Azimuth Biotech has rejected Seo Jin-ae's unverified claim that Salvation survived by relocating his mind using advanced Guardian technology.
    CEO Torben Rademaker issued this statement:
    "I can officially confirm that Azimuth Biotech has no knowledge of any project related to a 'Nemesis Failsafe'. Frankly, suggesting that anyone could transmit their living mind across space stretches her credibility past breaking point."
    "Seo Jin-ae's absurd outbursts have justified our fears that she suffers from paranoid delusions, and has falsified data to support her personal vendetta. And she now seems to have an exalted position among the Far God cultists. Only those deranged unfortunates would take her flights of fantasy seriously."
    An article in the scientific journal The Empirical addressed the concepts featured in Seo Jin-ae's statement:
    "The field of exoneurology, whereby the human mind is isolated

Apr

We've got great news to share today. Destro's fan project to add complete voiceovers to the original Wing Commander is complete and ready to release! He's managed to carefully map the speech files from the fully voiced Mega/Sega CD edition of the game and patch them over top of the familiar PC edition. While this fully voiced version of the game has existed for three decades, relatively few people have heard it due to the semi-obscurity of this console port. That's what makes this project so special!

The mod is specifically designed to work with the WCDX enhanced version of WC1 in Windows, and detailed instructions on how to get all that set up are available at the CIC Forums. We've mirrored the version 0.81 main file (342 meg zip) to make sure a permanent archive is available. All other necessary files are linked from this post. The reviews from fans so far have been fantastic, and what I've

Apr

Apr

Apr

Apr

Apr

The CIC archives include a massive trove of source models for nearly 600 ships and objects from the Wing Commander games made between 1991 and 1996. But up until this point, they've all been in one big package that could be a little daunting to explore. Fortunately, LOAF has recently taken the time to break them all out and discretely list each one in the WCPedia. Now you can easily tell that "DBRIG.3DS" are Rigakh Debris, "CLUNKER.3DS" is the trusty Tarsus and "STARS.3DS" is the TCS Lexington's launch tube animation. It's a great starting off point to get acquainted with some of Origin's most iconic model files! Check out the new WC3D Index here!

redbaron_3dview02xt.jpgredbaron_3dview03xt.jpgredbaron_3dview11xt.jpgredbaron_3dview12xt.jpgredbaron_3dview29xt.jpgredbaron_3dview30xt.jpgredbaron_3dview22xt.jpgredbaron_3dview23xt.jpg

The WC3D Collection is an archive of largely Wing Commander-related 3D models and textures copied from a hard drive at Origin Systems by John Guentzel in late 1998. The collection includes 585 models and scenes from Wing Commander II, Wing Commander

Apr

John Nelson has a new Lego creation, and it's another beauty! His first Kilrathi design is this small and angular Darket. I'm once again super impressed by what he was able to accomplish given a limited number of pieces on hand. He mentions that he would have preferred to use more brown parts, but I think the orange is actually pretty accurate. If you look at the 'Fireclaw' Kilrathi ace model from WC3, it's covered in special red, yellow and orange accents.

johnnelson_legos56t.jpgjohnnelson_legos57t.jpgjohnnelson_legos58t.jpgjohnnelson_legos59t.jpgjohnnelson_legos60t.jpgjohnnelson_legos61t.jpgkilrathi_aces8t.jpg

As an experiment I built my first Kilrathi model and went with the Darket. I wasn’t planning on doing Kilrathi fighters but I went for it, going for not accommodating mini figures to save time space and parts. I really like the results. I’ll get some more brownish colors in the future so that this and other models won’t have such a Heinz ketchup and mustard color scheme.

Pliers (would) say, "The Darket is like a bug. Small and annoying on its

Apr

Apr

Apr

Apr

Scribbler has a new entry in his line of classic Wing Commander ambiance/ASMR videos. This one takes place in the green bunkroom of Caernarvon Station. You can hear the hum of equipment and various chirps from time to time. There's a solid hour in store to help you zone out!

In this file we remain in the ambiance of the quarters on the Caernarvon space station. A remote outpost of the Confederacy. Ideal for making money without the dangers of war. Except for a few minor skirmishes on patrol. Another day comes to an end in space. Then come to your sleeping quarters and rest. Everyday life stays outside. Today we don't do anything anymore. ;)

Apr

DefianceIndustries has started making updates to his YouTube channel with some neat content related to his many Wing Commander projects. Two examples below show off a launch video test for WC4 Remastered and Nephilim iridescence test in the upgraded Prophecy Vision Engine tied to his Model Upgrade Project work. I really like the look of that Hermes on the flight deck! Head on over to see these clips, plus shorts showing off some of his fancy models!

We thought about updating the demo to use a new video to when you launch from the Lexington. It never got beyond the concept stages however. Still It was kind of a fun experiment.
    Development video - basic iridescence testing via open GL

Apr

Today we have a nice assortment of Spanish magazine scans from Maxi de Sokar. I frequently just post these as they are since they are often visually engaging and interesting on their own, but in this case I provided rough English translations so you can read the articles as well. The first few pages come from Micromania and are a profile of Origin, Richard Garriott and the development of Wing Commander 3. There's also an Armada review from Issue 78 of the magazine, plus a pretty striking WC3 ad. Finally, there's an Armada add from PCMania. Enjoy!

micromania_origin1t.jpgmicromania_origin1_englisht.jpgmicromania_origin2t.jpgmicromania_origin2_englisht.jpgmicromania_origin3t.jpgmicromania_origin3_englisht.jpgmicromania_issue78_armadat.jpgmicromania_issue78_armada_englisht.jpgmicromania_wc3_advertisementt.jpgmicromania_wc3_advertisement_englisht.jpgpcmania_armada_advertisementt.jpgpcmania_armada_advertisement_englisht.jpg

Apr

There's a handful of scenes that don't show up in any of the workprints I've seen from the movie, so I've recreated these from the raw takes. These are work in progress edits with no real sound enhancement and minimal attempts to at least make the color consistent (though sometimes the footage is too dark to truly rescue). I understand why they would cut this particular scene for pacing reasons, but at the same time I think it's a decent moment that sets up Blair and Angel's relationship a bit more. Plot-wise, it's not essential, but if I had a choice I'd keep small character moments like this in the movie. It's not really a long scene either.

This scene also has one of the few outtakes I've found... more of a prank really (not included in this video) where in one take the elevator doors open and Blair and Angel are pretending to make out on the ground.

Apr

Apr

John Nelson has caught the Kilrathi bug (thankfully not the Locanda variant!) and has crafted another Kat ship out of Lego bricks. His little Darket was lovely, and now he's slightly upsized into the sneakier Strakha. He's got a greater mix of colors here, which matches up quite well with the orange and yellow ace variant flown by Stalker in WC3!

johnnelson_legos62t.jpgjohnnelson_legos63t.jpgjohnnelson_legos64t.jpgkilrathi_aces16t.jpgjohnnelson_legos65t.jpgjohnnelson_legos66t.jpgjohnnelson_legos67t.jpg

Dug through more parts and put together the Wing Commander 3 version of the Strahka. It’s a little more aesthetically pleasing over my Darket even though similar colors were used. Maybe it’s the larger amount of gray pieces. When I get around to some more brown pieces I will replace them.

Pliers (would) say, "This new generation of Strahka is no scarier then the old ones short of some extra guns. These models don’t carry torpedos at least so that’s a load off your mind right kid?"

Apr

Apr