News categories list

Oct

Star Trek Online is heading for Destination Star Trek: Birmingham! We will be at the convention for the entire weekend, from October 25th to October 27th, and we look forward to meeting you and talking with you about STO. It's the biggest celebration of Star Trek in Europe and there will be plenty of your favorite Star Trek and STO actors there, like Levar Burton, JG Hertzler, Denise Crosby, Chase Masterson and of course our newest member, Anthony Rapp! EU Design Lead Tim Davies, Lead Environment Artist Scot Boyd, and Community Manager Mike Fatum will be there to talk with Anthony Rapp about his work in Discovery and Awakening. We’ll be on stage for four different panels that weekend, and you can find the schedule below. You want more stars? Here is a small selection of stars already confirmed for the Star Trek Destination in Birmingham: Learn the latest news about Star

Dec

Earlier this year, Starfleet Engineers, in conjunction with the finest minds in singularity technology of the Romulan Republic, finally made a breakthrough in investigating the incursions from the Galaxy of Great Sales, which occasionally merges with our own to set off the anomaly known as the “Flash Sale.” This allowed Star Trek Online to put together three great sales during the Earth event known as Black Friday, but during the Intra-galactic Winter Holiday Celebrations, we’re putting together five sales! For the first sale, from December 19th at 10am PT to December 21st at 10am PT, we’re putting all Master Keys on sale for 30% off, including the Key Ring Bundle. Not only that, but the Infinity Lock Box is returning, fresh with its latest updates. Grab yourself some keys, and a chance at a great T6 ship of your choice! .share-footer a { margin: 20px 10px 10px 0; background: url(

Sep

In his never ending quest to further understand how the code of Wing Commander works, UnnamedCharacter recently came across a Russian translation of the original Wing Commander. His information suggested it was not an official release, yet it was quite elaborately recreated to integrate the Russian text. If not a genius mod, could this be from some lesser known obscure port? There's some screenshots below as well as the font he extracted for a look at how complete the changes were. If you have any more knowledge about this translation to add to the conversation, please hit the comment link below and share!

wc_toolbox25t.jpgwc_toolbox26t.jpgwc_toolbox27t.jpgwc_toolbox28t.jpg

Has anyone seen this? By the way, this is not new, it's possibly quite old. I have seen an online reference to the Russian version of the game dating back to 2004, and the translated data files are timestamped as 1992.

Using the above font file as an example of the work involved in doing

Apr

Mar

Jun

Today we have another very cool find by Dominus of Exult. He happened to stumble across a pin in a vintage collectible shop. It's very possible that this was some kind of localized promotional giveaway in Germany from the '90s. I'm definitely in love with this simple retro design!

dominus_coolfinds3t.jpgdominus_coolfinds4t.jpg

Another "LOOK WHAT I FOUND" - a Wing Commander needle pin (or whatever it's called). Sold by a shop that specializes in selling those kinds of things (originals, not reproductions).

For comparison, there was a department store in Germany that included metal dogtags with Wing Commander 4.

May

One of the many exciting fan projects that legendary artist and programmer Howard Day has created over the years is Wing Leader, a modern WC1 remake in the Unity engine. During the 2019-2021 time period, Howie shared a lot of awesome concept material, art and engine demonstrator content, but priorities got in the way and development has significantly slowed these past few years. In order to potentially kick start community development and make sure the source content is available to fans in the future, Howie has now publicly released the project's assets on GitHub. Although he hopes to continue making improvements at some point, other Wingnuts are free (and encouraged!) to take the reigns and see what they can do with what's been developed so far. You can find out more here!

wc_uprez39t.gifwc_uprez41t.gifwc_uprez72xt.jpgwc_uprez102xt.jpg

I figure I should do this, since I don't know when I'll get back to it. I've made the project public. Adam's passing has

May

Apr

Last month LOAF put together an exhaustive writeup about the many Kilrathi emblems and symbols depicted over the years. In the spirit of completeness, here's a couple more than have surfaced since then! If you see any more we missed, let us know!

@kingmakeress had me looking through the 3DO version of Victory Streak where I found this forgotten oddity included alongside the Kiranka claw symbol!

kilrathi_emblem23t.jpg

These Kilrathi medals from the TCTG are worth considering as well!

kilrathi_emblem24t.jpgkilrathi_emblem25t.jpg

Find the original post here if you want to learn all about Kilrathi iconography!

kilrathi_emblem1t.jpg

Jan

And now Klavs can ponder the routes of Pilgrim expansion throughout the galaxy every time he steps into the shower. I love that it's easier than ever to have things custom printed and manufactured with your own art on them. People have gotten really creative with this, and today's topic is no exception! Klavs has taken the awesome relit universe map that he made a couple years back and had it printed extra large across a shower curtain. Amazing!

klavs_models408t.jpg

I daresay this is the most epic shower curtain I have ever owned! :)

I wonder what other shower curtains were in contention...

Anyhow, here's the digital source for comparison:

klavs_models373t.jpg

Jan

I'm short on time today, so here's a couple of Wing Commander shorts for you! They caught my eye because the videos below depict an Xperia Play (originally conceived as the Sony Ericsson "PlayStation Phone") running SNES Wing Commander and The Secret Missions. At first I wondered if there was some kind of EA Replay situation at work, but downloadable versions of that game were limited to the European-exclusive Playstation Network Store circa 2009. It's appears that these are straight emulations, which wouldn't be much different since EA Replay includes the Super Nintendo console editions anyhow. It's always fun to see Wing Commander pop up on a new kind of screen!

Dec

Knight26-77 has posted a very cool video of his 3D printer manufacturing a slick Excalibur fighter. We've seen a lot of gorgeous plastic craft in recent years, but I don't think we've seen a perspective quite like this before. Definitely check it out!

Timelapse 3D print of the Excalibur Fighter from Wing Commander 3.Original design by Origin Systems. Redesign by Klavs and 3D printable model by Chronocidal Guy

Here's a fleet shot of some of his other craft all together:

knight_3dprint1t.jpg

I did a rough rip and transfer to stl off of his old model release and printed it on my old printer along with several other models. The scales might be slightly off in some cases. All should be 1:72.

Oct

Jun

Jun

Jun

May

Today we've got a stunning pair of wallpapers that Mac recently put together with Klavs' models. These would look fabulous in the center of a pair of monitors and would look even better if you have a vertically oriented display. They would also work perfectly as your phone's background or lock screen image. Each one is beautiful, but as a pair, they are perfect together!

macs_lore44t.jpgmacs_lore45t.jpg

Hey Kids, Jedi Survivor issues got you down? How about you revisit the other scifi universe Mark Hamill played a major part in where he flew down a trench to destroy a planet sized object that resulted in the good guys winning? - Wing Commander .

May

Feb