News categories list

Jul

Jul

It’s almost time for the biggest Star Trek fan gathering of the year, and the team behind Star Trek Online will be there! Star Trek Las Vegas is next weekend! If you’re coming to the show, there’s going to be plenty of opportunities to interact with the Star Trek Online developers. If you can’t make it down, we’ve listed some ways that you can hear about what’s coming next in world of STO. *** STAR TREK ONLINE ON THE CONVENTION FLOOR Star Trek Online will be on the convention floor in a big way this year, make sure to stop by and check out the booth! There will be a regular rotating selection of STO developers hanging out at our Age of Discovery-themed booth this year, so please drop by and say hello. You can also play a demo of the game (bring your friends who haven’t tried it yet), sign up for a special set of holographic bridge officers based on the cast of Deep Space Nine and

Jul

Jul

Jul

Jul

The days keep ticking down to the CIC's 20th Birthday Party! The big event is now just three weeks away, and preparations are in full swing. Because this year we're moving to

Discord

to chat, you might want to come visit beforehand. Install the

program

and use

this invite

to visit the new #Wingnut channel. There's already lots of activity there, so you're more than welcome to join the fun now! Then you'll be all set when the party starts on Saturday, August 18, 2018 at 7:00 pm EDT (4:00 pm PDT and 11:00 pm GMT). See you there!

ciccake2011t.jpgdiscord_wingnut1t.jpg

Jul

Anatoly Shashkin

posted some pretty nifty preview images of the canceled Origin game, Prowler. This was a mech combat game that some of the Super Wing Commander team worked on in the mid '90s. It never saw the light of day, so there's not much info out there, but the CIC has archived the game's

box art

concept sketches

and

back story

. It looks pretty dated today, and these are still pre-release shots from early in development, but this had the potential to be another neat Origin sci-fi series along the lines of MechWarrior. Thanks to Pelinal for the tip!

prowler_promo1t.jpgprowler_promo2t.jpgprowler_promo3t.jpgprowler_promo4t.jpg

Promo shots from the cancelled ORIGIN #NotDOS game Prowler (Prawler/Storm Troop)

Jul

Jul

Jul

Here are a couple of different cool updates for the Secret Ops

Model Upgrade Pack

. The first shot shows off a more refined version of the new Piranha cockpit.

DefianceIndustries

has added emit mapping to all the gauges and buttons, but he's been careful to balance them so they don't overpower the actual HUD elements. There's also a sampling of the newly recreated missiles that Confed fighters will launch. Lots and lots of new ships have been introduced over the past couple years, but these enhancements will help increase immersion for the pilot whether or not they've got a target on screen. The next big release for the project is scheduled for August 18 - just in time for the CIC's 20th Birthday Party!

wcso_shipupgrade235t.jpgwcso_shipupgrade236t.jpg

Welcome MUP-fans to the "Things You Rarely See" edition. Let me ask you a question: Do you hop into your shiny MUPetized Panther and head out ready to kick some high-poly thorax; you line up your

Jul

Jul

Jul

Jul

Jul

General: Resolved an issue where some tutorials could be shared to other players and could potential block those players from progressing. Resolved an issue where captains level 61 and above could not respond to Fleet Events. Removed the old Season 9 loading screen. Excelsior Starships: Added glows to "crystals" on top of the saucer for Excelsior and Enterprise B. Resolved an issue with the registry name on the hull for Tier 5 standard Excelsior. Resolved an issue which caused a seam on the saucer on the standard Excelsior. Added Elachi Weekend Event to August 2. Added XP Weekend Event to August 16. Systems: The critical severity of Enemy ships on Normal difficulty has been reduced from 100% to 50%. This does not affect the values for Advanced and Elite difficulties. This is subject to further change as we continue to monitor late game difficulty. The Reclaim

Jul

Star Trek Online has been privileged to have a great history of executive producers through its lifetime. Over the past three and a half years I’ve been humbled at the opportunity to shepherd this game forward, interact with this amazing community and lead this team of dedicated developers. When I initially took the big chair, after half a decade of working on the game already, it was as intimidating as it was exhilarating. In that first month my whiteboard filled with ideas, hopes and goals for future updates, as my calendar filled with endless meetings, forward-looking planning sessions and constant evaluation of the live game. Many of those ideas and hopes made it into the game, with some looser goals eventually taking shape as the PvEvP system and the Admiralty System. Some of my riskier plans actually came to fruition as well, such as going truly serialized with our story, releasing an

Jul

Hey Captains, I'd like to take this moment and introduce myself to the esteemed STO Community. My name is Andre Emerson. I've been producing, designing and directing games for the past 25 years. When I got the call from Ricossa at Cryptic, looking for a new executive producer for STO, I channeled my best inner-Kirk, jumped on a plane, met him and the crew. The rest, as they say, is history. I've been working side by side with Ricossa and the crew for about six months now. I beamed aboard during the development of the Victory is Life expansion. The STO crew assembled an amazing DS9 vision for this most recent release and for me, it was the perfect timing to get a feel for the team and to begin charting forward. We now have an unparalleled opportunity upon us. This is the first time in Star Trek Online's eight-year run where we've had an opportunity to develop in lockstep with a live Star Trek

Jul

Star Trek Online is about to take you into the world of the latest Star Trek TV series, Star Trek: Discovery. This fall on PC, and soon after on Xbox One and Playstation 4, Captains will take the first step on a continuing journey to 2256, in the height of the Klingon War. For the very first time in STO’s history, we’ll be updating the game in line with a currently airing Star Trek series. Here’s what to expect from Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery: Age of Discovery opens in the year 2256, just after the Battle at the Binary Stars. In the wake of a brutal war against the Klingons, Starfleet Captains must face J’Ula, matriarch of the House of Mo’Kai and sister of T’Kuvma, who seeks to alter the destiny of the Alpha Quadrant. Players will need to rely on the help of fellow Starfleet Academy Cadet Syliva Tilly (played by Discovery actress Mary Wiseman), who has come home to assist with