News categories list

Nov

*Pilots' Federation ALERT*
    The Kingfisher megaship has received commodities in advance of its mission to communicate with the first rogue signal source.
    The Thargoid Advocacy Project reported that the shipments of semiconductors and Muon Imagers will contribute to the communications array aboard the megaship. The deliveries of basic medicines, fruit and vegetables will be made available to its crew and passengers, which include thousands of pro-peace supporters.
    Deutsche Elite Piloten Interstellar has announced that contributors can now collect payment from Blenkinsop Hub in the Andavandul system. This includes bounty voucher reimbursements for all pilots who eliminated criminal vessels threatening deliveries during the initiative.
    The Kingfisher will tomorrow make the journey from Andavandul to the permit-locked Hyades Sector YO-Q b5-1 system. The first of the rogue signal sources, which has

Nov

Today we've got a pair of fabulous 3D printed bombers to show off. They're the latest creations by Adm_Maverick. These are some of the biggest pilotable craft out there, and at nearly a foot long, they've been built to an appropriately hefty scale. This allows for some of the detailed elements like turrets to really stand out. Mav has some quirks that they'd ideally like to correct, but I think the results are already pretty fantastic. Bravo!

hobbyist_model3t.jpghobbyist_model4t.jpghobbyist_model5t.jpghobbyist_model6t.jpghobbyist_model7t.jpghobbyist_model8t.jpghobbyist_model9t.jpghobbyist_model10t.jpg

Printed up, and assembled the parts for a Longbow heavy bomber. There is something I really like about of the Longbow. Sadly the printing process was somewhat uneven resulting in some warping and deformations. I’m not entirely sure what I’ll do about it. I could make new parts, reprint the original parts with different settings, or maybe create new files to be printed. On a side note, I need to do some number crunching but I think this might actually be

Nov

Nov

Nov

Andrea Contato is back with a new series of retro gaming history books. He's planned out everything from the 1970s through today in five volumes. The first couple are already researched and written, and he's now in the process of translating them from Italian to English. These earlier issues won't quite get to Wing Commander's timeframe, but his previous books on the History of Origin Systems were interesting and insightful looks back at the company's history. You can still order these at his website - the hardcover version is currently on sale, although it looks like the WC-themed extra (bookmarks and cloth art) are probably out. You can also learn more about his new project here.

throughthemoongate31t.jpgthroughthemoongate32t.jpgthroughthemoongate33t.jpgthroughthemoongate34t.jpg

Nov

The crew of the TCS Majestic is gearing up for their final battle and conclusion of a two year campaign. Everything culminates this weekend in the Gemini Sector RPG. This won't be the end of the group's online roleplay adventures, but it does mark the end of a major story arc. Even if it feels like an odd time to join in, the group welcomes all to join and watch at their Discord server! It sounds like they'll have a great time. Check out a few associated vids to set the scene below:

The crew ready for a final strike on the Zhelnar tactical carrier. This is the final mission of the Nitir Campaign. If the pilots manage to destroy the carrier, the kilrathi presence in Ragnarok will be destabilized to a point where ISS can safely protect the colonies.

Nov

Nov

Happy Thanksgiving out there to Wingnuts who celebrate! We hope you are all able to have a safe and healthy day with your families. As a prime Pilgrim-themed holiday, it's a good opportunity for us to remind you that the third and final Wing Commander Movie novel, Pilgrim Truth, is available online. And of course, it's not all about the Pilgrims. Native partners, such as the Mopoks and Dolosians, were critical in the effort to defeat the Kilrathi!

frontcoversmallt.jpgpt-ibooks2t.jpgPilgrim_Cross_Conceptt.jpgrostov-win-seriest.jpg

Nov

Nov

wc1_ost_mt-32_archival_edition_covert.jpgIt's officially the season of giving now, so here's our annual recap of Wing Commander items to gift to your friends and family - or help round out your own collection! The most popular deal continues to be the discounted digital purchases of Wing Commander games. They're 75% off for the next week at GOG.com.

One new addition this year is the MT-32 Archival Edition of Team Fat's classic Wing Commander 1 audio album. It's a super sized sampling of some stellar WC tunes. I also can't recommend a physical copy of Academy on DVD highly enough. They're dirt cheap and preserve you ability to watch the show forever!

CIC Drink Coasters are also 25% off today!

Movies & TV

Nov

Nov

Nov

Panther has dug up an interesting Wing Commander 2 review from the October 1991 issue of Advanced Computer Entertainment. A curious element is that they title this "Revenge of the Kilrathi." This is just a mistake or stylistic rebranding. The game was publicly announced as Vengeance of the Kilrathi, so this isn't a case of early marketing change (like with ACE's August 1990 preview of Wing Leader). They give the game an "800" score, and I like all those character profiles!

advancedcomputerentertainment_1991october1t.jpgadvancedcomputerentertainment_1991october2t.jpg

Nov

Mac has another exciting scene for everyone today. This time it features the cutting edge Morningstar fighter. It's inspired by a famous Raptor: Call of the Shadows ad from 1994, which Scott Miller coincidentally just reposted. The ship looks absolutely gorgeous, and the bits of destroyed Dralthi and a wonderful touch! I think this one would look especially great printed out and hung on your wall.

macs_lore36t.jpg

Alright, who remembers #Raptorcalloftheshadows ? Ok, take that and make it about a Morningstar in the #Wingcommander universe.

macs_lore37t.jpgmacs_lore38t.jpg

Raptor was a BIG hit for Apogee in 1994, a vertical scrolling VGA space shooter/shmup. Superb game music too. We have a remaster in the works by the original dev, Scott Host. And tomorrow I'll post the actual keyart/painting that's in my office. Here's a magazine ad.

Nov

Nov

Nov

Dec

AD found some new examples of the MIYOO-Mini V2 in action playing Wing Commander games. The first clip is PSX WC3 (23:25) and then SNES SM1 (21:23). We've shown off screenshots before, but here are live videos of the games in motion. Neither of the clips below is especially long, but it's just super satisfying to watch these in motion on such a small and different piece of hardware. I love hearing the WC3 missile lock tone in this context. It's so very cool to see (and hear)!