News categories list

Jun

AD found a neat Wing Commander 3 television spot that aired in Germany in May of 1995. It was dug up by magermunson. Things like this were still pretty rare to see on TV in the early to mid '90s, but WC3 was definitely one of the most profiled games around. They cover the scope and technology with a heavy emphasis on the full motion video. A common Mark Hamill interview is interspersed in the middle, but the brief conversation with Chris Roberts at the end may be new to us. You can turn captions and auto-translate on to get an English translation to play along the bottom. Enjoy this tiny time capsule!

Interviews and behind the scenes with Mark Hamill and Chris Roberts from this very rare german TV report on May 1995.Enjoy!

Jun

Speaking of pinball, today we have a peek at fantastic start to a custom Wing Commander pinball machine. The project was built by dotmos over at the FlipperMarkt Forums. It was designed with both Privateer and WC1/2 concept art influences in mind. There are traditional wood and electronics throughout, but he also fabricated 3D printed ramps and rocks to simulate navigating an asteroid field. Unfortunately he's been silent on the machine for a couple years, so we might not get to see the finished product, but this is so cool that we had to share what exists!

custom_wc_pinball1t.jpgcustom_wc_pinball2t.jpgcustom_wc_pinball3t.jpgcustom_wc_pinball4t.jpgcustom_wc_pinball5t.jpgcustom_wc_pinball6t.jpgcustom_wc_pinball7t.jpgcustom_wc_pinball8t.jpgcustom_wc_pinball9t.jpgcustom_wc_pinball10t.jpg

Ideas haunt my head from time to time to time, but I haven't really nailed it down yet. There are a few concrete ideas on some things... but this is not really recorded anywhere.I find it an interesting idea to choose the wingmen or anchor them in the game and have never really thought about it. Thank you for the mental impetus! So far, my ideas

Jun

Jun

Jun

Jun

Jun

Dennis Mull has some fun new Wing Commander additions. Both of these are Privateer bundles, but it's interesting to see how they're from opposite ends of the Privateer multipack spectrum. The first set is highlighted by the QEMM memory manager, which would hypothetically help you get the necessary memory freed up in order to run the game. It came with the floppy disk version of Priv as well as the Origin title ShadowCaster. The second box is a higher end collection with the CD versions of both P1 and Strike Commander - complete with full speech and expansions. I love how visually distinct both are from each other with the purple/rainbow star combo on one side versus the clean white lines on the other. They're two very different ways to add Privateer to your collection!

mull_collection43t.jpgmull_collection44t.jpgmull_collection45t.jpg

Today I received a box with some nice items: One of them is the Qemm & 2 hot games bundle including #WingCommander Privateer and

Jun

Jun

It's almost summer time (in the north), so one of GOG's biggest sales of the year has begun again! Their Summer Sale has a wide range of special discounts, contests and giveaways, but the main event for Wingnuts is a broad 75% price cut for the Wing Commander series. Get in the door for just $1.49 or grab all the games for under $12! Other Origin classics like Bioforge and Space Rogue are also on sale.

gog-wc12-button.jpggog-wc3-button.jpggog-wc4-button.jpggog-wcp-button.jpggog-priv-button.jpggog-p2-button.jpggog-wca-button.jpggog-armada-button.jpggog-strike-commander-button.jpg

Jun

Over the years we've done brief profiles on a number of non-Wing Commander space sims, but it's been quite a while since the last one. Impressive new space sims continue to be made, however, and an interesting new(ish) one is Chorus. It came out at the end of last year, and I'd say it's had a slow but growing burn since then. FredDude helped bring it to our attention earlier this week, and I'm surprised how many Wingnuts have actually played it and are quite familiar with the title already. The game looks good and seems to have an engaging story. There's an open world with lots of side quests in addition to the main campaign. Your ship has a neat upgrade system and there is a special action mechanic that seems fairly novel in the space sim genre. It's currently on sale for $30 at the Epic Game Store, but an even better deal is its recent addition to Xbox Game Pass. There is a free demo, but

Jun

Today was Microsoft and Bethesda's big summer games showcase was this morning, and they had a big profile on one of the mostly highly anticipated space games of the next year: Starfield. It was first announced way back in 2018 and has been frequently described as "Skyrim in space." Today's reveal is the first time that people have gotten to take a look at the game's actual gameplay. There's plenty of action RPG excitement, but they finally confirmed that there will also be a major space combat element. Ships will be extremely customizable and players will be able to fly to over a hundred star systems and a thousand planets. There are some distinct similarities to No Man's Sky or Star Citizen, although this is purely a single player experience. We know quite a few Wingnuts out there are very excited for this, and we're happy to see more space sims coming out!

We hope you love building spaceships

Jun

Jun

Jun

The Alliance, Empire and Federation have responded coolly to accusations that Salvation has hidden links to Azimuth Biochemicals and INRA.
    Vox Galactica published a report from political correspondent Conrad Sterling:
    "Salvation has always been a contentious figure, and the logs found in the DG Canum Venaticorum system have polarised public opinion further. Some are enraged that Salvation may have history with INRA or be responsible for the loss of the Alexandria. Others believe Aegis's claims to be false, a desperate attempt to save themselves. But how have the superpowers reacted?"
    "The Empire is taking a pragmatic view, with Senator Denton Patreus focusing on the strategic objective of defeating the Thargoids. As he bluntly told the Senate: 'Nothing in the Imperial armoury comes close to matching the anti-xeno superweapon's devastating capabilities.'"
    "In the Federation, Fleet Admiral Tayo

Jun

John Nelson has been hinting at this Lego model for a while, and he’s finally ready to reveal his Dragon fighter from Wing Commander 4. In order to contrast the primary airframe with some of the detailed elements, he’s colored the main hull black. There’s an imposing red cockpit canopy and a variety of dark gray highlights. It can be a challenge to perfectly mimic the in-game models, but I particularly like how the forward lower fuselage and fission guns turned out. The hot red intakes are also a nice touch!

johnnelson_legos33t.jpgjohnnelson_legos34t.jpgjohnnelson_legos35t.jpgjohnnelson_legos36t.jpg

I teased it awhile ago. Finally done and no not perfect but the most Barney badass Wing Commander fighter ever, the Dragon, is done. I needed more pieces and really wanted to scrutinize the wings and fuselage. No part of this super craft was an easy build. Please enjoy.

Jun

The F-44 Rapier II is one of the most popular fighters in Wing Commander fan art, but the CF-117 Rapier has a lot of fans too! Whether they love the Electric Lightning core or the big rotary neutron gun, a few daring modelers have taken on the Wing Commander Movie's Rapier. This one was originally designed by Klavs and then arranged here by Mac. It's a moody scene with the lead fighter about to zoom by the camera while a couple wingmates spiral through the background. I like it!

macs_lore31t.jpg

I'm probably long overdue in tossing fans of the #wingcommander movie a bone after my recent adventures with the other Rapiers.

Jun